Diamond Python with over 100 ticks on it.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see this Vid posted on a tick forum and see the replys....
As much as I like snakes, Ticks have a right to live as well people.

There is a tick forum?? :?

This thread is confusing.......even for people like me who do actually have a brain.....at least half anyway!! ;) Yes, ticks are gross, yes that snake looks terrible........but the amount of times i have seen people be told off for interfering when they should have let 'nature takes it course', to people now slamming the op for not interfering........make up your mind people!!

Wow, I totally disagree with this. I reckon ticks are the most useless, non beneficial parasite found in the wild. I hate the mongrel things. What purpose do they serve?

Everything has it's place.

I think people on this website are way too sensitive; OP saw a wild animal in its natural habitat and left it alone. I thought one of the golden rules was to leave only footprints and take only photos, right?

I have never heard that before, but i think it's spot on.

I find it sickening that you could just stand there and video the poor thing while the ticks were sucking the life out of it! is it that hard to call the RSPCA? It may be a part of nature but watching an animal suffer is just wrong.

It took me 2wks of daily phone calls to get the RSPCA to attend an address where a small dog was locked in a tiny cage starving, i dont think they would have been in a hurry to help this snake.

It took me 2wks of daily phone calls to get the RSPCA to attend an address where a small dog was locked in a tiny cage starving, i dont think they would have been in a hurry to help this snake.

Agreed

I find it sickening that you could just stand there and video the poor thing while the ticks were sucking the life out of it! is it that hard to call the RSPCA? It may be a part of nature but watching an animal suffer is just wrong.

Have you ever tried calling the RSPCA to help an animal that is not viewed by the majority of the public as either cute, fluffy, or newsworthy? I'm sure their lip-service would sound admirable, but their absolute lack of action would probably surprise you.

Have you ever tried calling the RSPCA to help an animal that is not viewed by the majority of the public as either cute, fluffy, or newsworthy? I'm sure their lip-service would sound admirable, but their absolute lack of action would probably surprise you.

RSPCA aren't in the business of dealing with wild animals,much better to call Green Peace.

Wow, I totally disagree with this. I reckon ticks are the most useless, non beneficial parasite found in the wild. I hate the mongrel things. What purpose do they serve?

What purpose do WE as humans serve? We are detrimental to the environment and kill more animals than ticks do.

Everyone stop having a ******, He could have helped but he didn't, it happens alot, humans are not perfect, i would hate to get a bad rep from this post, but why pick on someone you don't even know?

The RSPCA don't really do this type of work, they only go for soft targets, which means they are set up to help domestic animals mis-managed by people. In a situation like this you would take it to a vet and they would then treat it and pass it onto a Animal Rehabilitator or Sanctuary that deals with this sort of stuff.

However, I have no qualms with the way the OP handle the situation and I very much doubt that they are loosing sleep over it either.

Obviously you have never had ticks on you otherwise you would know they do not cause pain and therefore the animal was not suffering. Native animals get native parasites and allow it looks ugly the snake will be fine by the way they were engorged they have been there for a while and if they were really irritating the snake would have been rubbing itself red raw which by looking at its nose you can see it has not done. The ticks will fall off over time the snake will shed and all will be fine. They have lived together for thousands of years and this would not be the first or last, if ticks killed every animal they sucked on there would be no animals left in the aussie bush. On a side note has anyone ever caught wild snakes and not had ticks on it

I have had time to get over my initial reaction and after hearing more about snakes reactions to ticks I am more ok with it. I would be curious to know from a herp vet why mammals dies of heart failure with paralysis ticks but snakes can cope with so many.

Also interesting looking at the truth of things with the RSPCA and the ad they ran a few years back 'All Creatures Great and Small' which featured a python with a bandage around it... BHP from memory.

The RSPCA don't really do this type of work, they only go for soft targets, which means they are set up to help domestic animals mis-managed by people. In a situation like this you would take it to a vet and they would then treat it and pass it onto a Animal Rehabilitator or Sanctuary that deals with this sort of stuff.

However, I have no qualms with the way the OP handle the situation and I very much doubt that they are loosing sleep over it either.

Im confused, RSPCA dont handle cases such as the one i was calling them for, or in regards to this snake? If in regards to this snake.......that was my point, they wouldnt be interested.

The majority of snakes i encounter up here don't have any visible ticks at all. Boat load of skin worms though.

Obviously you have never had ticks on you otherwise you would know they do not cause pain and therefore the animal was not suffering. Native animals get native parasites and allow it looks ugly the snake will be fine by the way they were engorged they have been there for a while and if they were really irritating the snake would have been rubbing itself red raw which by looking at its nose you can see it has not done. The ticks will fall off over time the snake will shed and all will be fine. They have lived together for thousands of years and this would not be the first or last, if ticks killed every animal they sucked on there would be no animals left in the aussie bush. On a side note has anyone ever caught wild snakes and not had ticks on it

It is only the exotic animals that haven't got a tolerance to native paralysis ticks.

I have had time to get over my initial reaction and after hearing more about snakes reactions to ticks I am more ok with it. I would be curious to know from a herp vet why mammals dies of heart failure with paralysis ticks but snakes can cope with so many.

Also interesting looking at the truth of things with the RSPCA and the ad they ran a few years back 'All Creatures Great and Small' which featured a python with a bandage around it... BHP from memory.

The majority of snakes i encounter up here don't have any visible ticks at all. Boat load of skin worms though.

It is only the exotic animals that haven't got a tolerance to native paralysis ticks.

Im in NSW coast and every reptile ive relocated has had ticks of one form or another good to here the NT isnt as bad as down here. Ill trade you some ticks for freshies

:( As sad as it is its nature,although if that was me id have called wires or someone to try and get it some help even if all they could do was put it too sleep atleast it wouldnt be suffering......just my opinion :|

To everyone who replied to my post > Yes i have called the RSPCA on multiple occasions and they are hopeless... guess i spoke before i thought.. It is horrid how an organization that is supposed to "help" animals do so little.. Its just sad how this poor snake was getting sucked dry.

Just because i said it was suffering doesn't mean im implying the pain is from the ticks themselves, what is cruel is the fact that they are sucking out its blood, and everyone knows you need blood to live, many animals die from tick infestations. ive seen it and its not nice. Fair enough that it happens all the time but you don't actually see it all the time, and personally if i saw it, i would help it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back