Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok you guys seem to be taking what i have said about getting one just cause you want one in a different direction it was meant.. A dingo shouldn't be gotten when you know nothing about them, have no experience with them and possibly not even the proper facilities to care for them.. A dingo is a dog in essence but it is not really the same as just having an average dog.

If you guys reckon every average Joe should get a dingo then ok that's your opinion, mine is different and you aren't going to change it no matter how good of a reason you think just wanting one is.

Lucas are you saying a Dingo isn't native fauna? It shouldn't have the same standards?

They aren't actually native fauna they are naturalised fauna, rather big difference.

You need to re-read my posts. I have never said that people who cannot care for them should get them. I said that liking them or wanting one is one of the best reasons to get one. Unless you have a better reason.

Of course not! i would consider human kept snakes to be 'domesticated' - they live inside and would probably die very quickly if released,

I think any snake or lizard would be fine if it was released back into the wild....dont you have cornsnakes somewhere in aus ? theyve been in captivity for decades now, but have no problem in surviving....even in a forgien land !! Apparently there is a specie of american rat snake living in the wild in Wales(uk) & has been for the past 10yrs (female escaped from a local zoo)

Well, i want a kangaroo, a wombat, a koala, a tassie devil and an echidna.. So i should be allowed one with only reading about them just cause i like them yeah?

I think youre assuming the original poster of this thread is just going to rush out and buy a dingo....id say by starting this topic it proves they are trying to find out about them before she/he does !

I think of them as native but there are alot of people on the fence. Alot of people think of them as introduced.

Are pigs, goats, horses, cats etc going to become native after a few thousand years?

If you think pig, goats, horses, cats do you think Australian? When you think dingo do you think Australian?

Personally i think of dingo as Australian, regardless of where it originally came from.

I think the thing to keep in mind is it won't be the first or last time someone keeps a dingo as a pet. I think if you are vigilant about it's upbringing you won't have a problem. There are far more dangerous breeds out there if people want to get picky about it.

I love it how people get all snooty about it :lol:

I find it interesting that a lot of people against keeping them, and recommending other breeds, have been against keeping exotic species of reptiles in Aus.

Could'nt this be looked at in the same repect...Should'nt we be keeping natives, or in the dingos case "naturalised" animals over exotic species???

I know it's a bit of a leap seeing as how long other dogs have been in australia for, but rabbits have been around for just as long and i don't think there would me many who would'nt mind replacing all rabbits with bandicoots, bilbys or similar native animals that have suffered due to the introduction of them.

Sorry to go off on a tangent but i have met a beautiful placid dingo and i don't think they deserve the reputation they have got...

Ben

I think that they are amazing animals. I stayed on a farm for about 5 weeks a few years back, and the owner had a dingo cross cattle dog. It was the lovliest natured dog I think I have ever seen, wouldn't hurt a fly. She was really sweet, and no problems around kids at all.

I suppose if you are ready to put the health and welfare above the novelty fact of owning a dingo, and you have the space and money to put towards proper fencing AND feeding (I don't think it's fair to give it canned food), plus, you have a plan that is fair for the animal just in case it is a danger to be around, then fine, get a dingo :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back