Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I teach dog training, have talked with several people who have worked with dingoes and have seen a couple of crosses at dog club. They never last long at the club because of difficulty training - definitely for those with some serious animal behaviour experience and knowledge. The behaviour of dingoes is really different from dogs. If they don't bond with you properly when they are pups you are in big trouble. They will never be as affectionate and playful as a regular dog. Regular dogs have more puppy behaviour all of their lives (playful, open to new experiences and people); dingoes grow up quickly. If you just like the look, get a similar looking dog. If you are really interested in animal behaviour and are willing to make a 15 year commitment to a challenging animal, get the fencing recommended by others on this thread and go for it.

their is one down the road that is supposed to be really tame ,but when i drove past yesterday it had the next door neighbours goat in its mouth

their is one down the road that is supposed to be really tame ,but when i drove past yesterday it had the next door neighbours goat in its mouth

Sounds real tame :lol:.

I think you should just look for a domestic dog, because a dingo isn't just something you can have for the novelty of it.. Say it turns out to not be very tame at all what would you do then? You can't just get rid of it if you get sick of it after awhile.

I teach dog training, have talked with several people who have worked with dingoes and have seen a couple of crosses at dog club. They never last long at the club because of difficulty training - definitely for those with some serious animal behaviour experience and knowledge. The behaviour of dingoes is really different from dogs. If they don't bond with you properly when they are pups you are in big trouble. They will never be as affectionate and playful as a regular dog. Regular dogs have more puppy behaviour all of their lives (playful, open to new experiences and people); dingoes grow up quickly. If you just like the look, get a similar looking dog. If you are really interested in animal behaviour and are willing to make a 15 year commitment to a challenging animal, get the fencing recommended by others on this thread and go for it.

Hmmm and here I was thinking most of you are talking through your hat and happy with your American pitbulls and cattle dogs :lol: I think like anything given the time, effort and overall passion you can make almost anything work.

I've given it some consideration before (in wanting to own one) and found a contact I will forward onto the author of the thread who does breed perhaps the purest bloodline of dingo this side of Fraser Island. Pups generally sell for $300 each, but breeders are given a strict time-frame of when to sell the pups. What happens to them after that I have no idea.

Here are my daughters with the Mum and Dad of the dingo breeder I met.

(ps: it is blatantly obvious when you interact with these dogs that they ARE NOT your typical dog, and being that they are a pack animal, I think younger members of the family might have a power struggle with these dogs at times if it's not nipped in the bud early- anyway, I'm by no means any sort of expert, hell, I can't even get my Cavoodle to fetch a stick :lol:)

1DSC_0035.jpg

Dingoes are naturally very shy timid animals, their behaviour is much more like a wolf than it is a domestic dog.You will never fully domesticate a dingo they will always have their natural hunting instincts and in my opinion to try and domestic such a beautiful & free spirit simply isnt fair. On top of that they are a pack animal, to keep one in a back yard type set up, again simply wouldnt be fair. Unless you have a great deal of expertise in canine behaviour and knowledge and all the time in the world I most definitely would never recommend one as a pet.

Hey moose is that the breeder in Castlemaine or Toolern Vale?

That is true Moose but do those people that say that in regards to snakes know anything much about them??

yous are all like their not domesticated dont keep them uhm yous have reptiles lol :D

I would get one if i had the space and lived in a state where it was legal. Sure they arnt a normal boring domestic dog, but if someone wanted one of them why would they want a dingo :?

They would definately make better pets than any reptile. Also keep in mind many domestic dogs havnt yet been bred into stupid fluffy toys and also still have natural instincts to kill, mate(unless you surgically modify them) and roam free. All the p[roblems i have heard ppl mention about the dingoes exist with other domestic breeds to(although generally to a lesser extent). I would imagine cattle dogs would actually be worse.

Without ppl keeping and breeding these dogs in captivity they will only ever exist on fraser in their true form and i think that is sad.

I do have quite a bit of experience working with dingoes. I love my babies to bits and I trust them with my life, but having said this I still would never recommend one as a pet. As I said before they are a pack animal and unless you can provide them with a nice strong pack, the correct facilities, be able to invest a LOT of time with them and provide the correct enrichment activites to keep them mentally stimulated, then I dont think its fair to keep them in a backyard set up.

That is true Moose but do those people that say that in regards to snakes know anything much about them??

No :D Probably not. About as much as I know :lol:

She lives somewhere over near Warrandyte JP2. If there was anyone who could tell you what to expect from these animals it would be her. She's very passionate about them, to the point of obsessive.

Her website is: www.dingo.org.au

I do have quite a bit of experience working with dingoes. I love my babies to bits and I trust them with my life, but having said this I still would never recommend one as a pet. As I said before they are a pack animal and unless you can provide them with a nice strong pack, the correct facilities, be able to invest a LOT of time with them and provide the correct enrichment activites to keep them mentally stimulated, then I dont think its fair to keep them in a backyard set up.

Shimarah: who is the alpha in your pack?

:p

HIx

Personally I can’t see what all the fuss is about ! .....I'd much rather have a dingo as a pet than a croc;).

(These are not questions for the people that made the original comments, but it would be nice to hear
anyone’s sensible opinions on my babblings about the subject )

their natural predatory instincts take over!"..... "They really can't be trusted Couldn’t that be said for most animals in captivity? Esp. including reptiles.

A dingo isn't just something you can have for the novelty of it How many people buy herps (or any animal for that matter) and get bored with them after a short time? !

They are a pack animal Thats what i thought, as alot of dogs prefer to live in large packs ....but according to the info I read, it says they tend to live in small family groups of 2/3 maybe 4's and sometimes group together in larger numbers to hunt. (Is this correct?)

To keep one in a back yard type set up, simply wouldn’t be fair. But people already keep croc's / lacie's / parrot's / small native mammal's ...etc etc in this way, so why would a dingo be any different ?

Provide them with the correct facilities, & be able to invest a lot of time with them and provide the correct enrichment activities to keep them mentally stimulated, Shouldn’t we be doing this already for virtually every specie that’s kept in captivity ? even domesticated cats & dogs ?

As scorps has already pointed out 99% on here keep unpredictable herps in confined spaces ! Some of us have venomous snakes & spiders/insects etc....& ive kept phyllobates terribilis.....much more dangerous that a dingo surely :?!!

If someone here wants the challenge of keeping something like a dingo, then as long as they do provide the correct care, then personally I can’t see a problem......go for it & let us know how you get on.

(Please don’t PM me and tell me how HUGE you’re pets enclosure is, unless of course it’s bigger than the natural habitat it evolved in:lol:)

Last edited:
I'll just add that as far as my experience with dogs goes ( 3 years of electrical and cable tv installs in domestic premises) It is the Terriers, silky, aus and jack russell, that are responsible for the most attacks..

Figures don't show this, but who would report a silky terrier bite on the ankle,:lol: but in my experience the owners seem to have less control of them as they don't think they are a threat. So they allow them to be aggressive and call it cute:evil:

I thought I would just throw my 2 cents worth in.

I grew up with a dingo as my first dog, when I was born the dog was 18months old and we never had an issue. The dingo (satan) was the best dog/friend that I had as a toddler.

I now breed pure bred English Staffies and they are very similar to dingoes with their pack instinct.

Like I said JMO.

I don't know about them being pack animals. All of the dingoes i have seen in a wild setting have been solitary and i have seen alot of wild dingoes. Maybe they only band together in a hunting scenario.

A dingo isn't just something you can have for the novelty of it How many people buy herps (or any animal for that matter) and get bored with them after a short time? !

How many herps can people purchase without already having years of experience that could turn around in a blink of an eye and attack causing some bad damage? Sure they are both wild animals and even domestic dogs can be viscous but i don't feel a dingo should be something you get without any experience or good knowledge just 'cause you like them'.

Theres also a difference between being able to get rid of herps and a dingo, there would be a ton of people who would take a herp off your hands if you didn't want it anymore even if it wasn't very tame.. Where as a dingo if it doesn't receive the right upbringing and isn't very good with humans especially strangers how many people can you say would be willing to take it once you've had enough (Or even just any dingo for that matter)? What are you gonna do with it then? Have it put down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back