Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How many herps can people purchase without already having years of experience that could turn around in a blink of an eye and attack causing some bad damage? Sure they are both wild animals and even domestic dogs can be viscous but i don't feel a dingo should be something you get without any experience or good knowledge just 'cause you like them'.

Scrub pythons have killed more ppl than dingos as far as i know, some ppl are even silly enough to trust them. Large goannas could also kill if you are dumb enough to hold them near your throat(as some idiots do). A dog on the other hand CAN be trusted if you know it, probably more so than a human in many cases. I agree that they arnt something you should get without good knowledge same as any other animal really. It would be interesting to know if dingo breeders are willing to sell them to idiots who dont know what their getting into, i would suspect they would actually care about their animals and the reputation of the species.

This article dosnt mean anything, it dosnt indicate at all that they have taken any reasonable approach at coming to their conclusions, by the logic of this article lions are safe because they have attacked less ppl in NSW than rotties have.

Well it looks at the total number kept and the reported cases of attack... How else would you approach it????

Scrub pythons have killed more ppl than dingos as far as i know, some ppl are even silly enough to trust them. Large goannas could also kill if you are dumb enough to hold them near your throat(as some idiots do). A dog on the other hand CAN be trusted if you know it, probably more so than a human in many cases. I agree that they arnt something you should get without good knowledge same as any other animal really. It would be interesting to know if dingo breeders are willing to sell them to idiots who dont know what their getting into, i would suspect they would actually care about their animals and the reputation of the species.

Scrub are class 2 and there is only 1 big class 1 monitor as far as i can tell (In NSW at least).

Khagan Scrubbies are class 2 in NSW but in Queensland they are class 1, and any large python is quite capable of killing a human.

Cris your lion comparison is flawed, they are not kept outside of zoos in NSW (at least not legally and in relatively high frequency) and the article is based on a comparison of frequency of attacks vs number of registered animals which seems actually a fairly reliable way to consider it.

Scrub are class 2 and there is only 1 big class 1 monitor as far as i can tell (In NSW at least).

Fair enough, in qld we can keep a scrubby or lace monitor as a first reptile, yet cant keep dingoes :? Im not against ppl keeping any native animals and its the job of the person getting it to make sure they can look after it safely, noone else.

Bump73, a good way to look at how dangerous a dog is, would be by looking at cases where HUMANS were severely injured or killed when not tresspassing on the dogs property or doing something else to cause the attack. It also includes attacks on animals, i would be extremely supprised if there was a breed of dog that wouldnt attack another animal. Out of all of the attacks only 30 something needed to go to hospital IMO they would be about the only ones worth looking at when working out what is dangerous. I just think its a weak case for saying dingos are one of he safest species to keep. Im also not really a fan off ppl labling breeds of dogs as being bad, as i have a rotti and they usually cop a lot of the flak from ppl like this journalist. Dog attacks are usually the fault of the owners or victims rather than the dog yet it gets killed(not often enough according to the journalist).

Khagan Scrubbies are class 2 in NSW but in Queensland they are class 1, and any large python is quite capable of killing a human.

True, but i dunno i can't imagine a python getting in a position to kill you unless you let it.. Like letting it get near your neck or something. Where as a dingo is in the position any time your in the same space as it.

True, but i dunno i can't imagine a python getting in a position to kill you unless you let it.. Like letting it get near your neck or something. Where as a dingo is in the position any time your in the same space as it.

Well there has been a recorded death from an adult scrubbie but none as far as i know from dongoes. I think dingoes are a more common pet too.

Well there has been a recorded death from an adult scrubbie but none as far as i know from dongoes. I think dingoes are a more common pet too.

Well regardless i don't think dingo's should be given to people who want one just cause they like them but have no knowledge or experience with them, though the same should be true with scrubby's.

I'll just add that as far as my experience with dogs goes ( 3 years of electrical and cable tv installs in domestic premises) It is the Terriers, silky, aus and jack russell, that are responsible for the most attacks..

Figures don't show this, but who would report a silky terrier bite on the ankle,:lol: but in my experience the owners seem to have less control of them as they don't think they are a threat. So they allow them to be aggressive and call it cute:evil:

Don Burke looked at dogs dumped at the RSPCA and found Maltese were the most dumped for barking and biting. Lots of little dogs are poorly bred and are allowed to get away with behaviour which would not be tolerated (too dangerous) in a big dog. I think terriers are lousy for children because they get so excited and love to bite things. Yes, there are exceptions, but lots of these dogs get dumped or shoved in the backyard and forgotten. Don't get me started on the number of working dogs (cattle, kelpie, collie) dumped in small suburban backyards going insane...

Well regardless i don't think dingo's should be given to people who want one just cause they like them but have no knowledge or experience with them, though the same should be true with scrubby's.

Same should be true with all animals.

Although i think liking them is possibly one of the most important attributes of a potential new owner.

Ya gotta watch out for them goldfish, potential killers :D.

A gold fish with someone who has no idea how to look after it is as good as dead, and then there are hygene issues that unless you know what is what can make you pretty sick.

Dingos make great pets. There is no doubt about it. Allergy sufferers don't react to Dingos, they are quiet natured, more content to sit by you rather than jump all over you, look bloody fantastic

As to all the "but if you don't look after it properly or don't raise it properly you'll have a dangerous animal" arguments, doesn't this apply to ALL animals. If you mistreat any animal then expect the worst.

I'd rather a bite from an angry dingo than a kick from an angry horse.

A gold fish with someone who has no idea how to look after it is as good as dead, and then there are hygene issues that unless you know what is what can make you pretty sick.

My point was you shouldn't be getting a potentially dangerous animal while having no experience or knowledge with it and only because 'you'd like one'.. Ofcourse any animal could be as good as dead when you dunno how to care for it perfectly but everyone has to start somewhere.

My point was you shouldn't be getting a potentially dangerous animal while having no experience or knowledge with it and only because 'you'd like one'.. Ofcourse any animal could be as good as dead when you dunno how to care for it perfectly but everyone has to start somewhere.

ALL dogs are potentially dangerous not just wild ones Khagan, they are all of the canine family, they are all carnivorous. They were all designed to kill, to eat meat.

You seem to have some impression that Dingos are in a class of their own.

ALL dogs are potentially dangerous not just wild ones Khagan, they are all of the canine family, they are all carnivorous. They were all designed to kill, to eat meat.

You seem to have some impression that Dingos are in a class of their own.

Yes i know they are all dogs, but domestic dogs have been domesticated over a loooong time where as Dingos havent.. This isn't gonna get anywhere anyways cause everyone thinks something different.. But i still stand by that a Dingo shouldn't be given to average joe's cause they 'would like one'.

Yes i know they are all dogs, but domestic dogs have been domesticated over a loooong time where as Dingos havent.. This isn't gonna get anywhere anyways cause everyone thinks something different.. But i still stand by that a Dingo shouldn't be given to average joe's cause they 'would like one'.

Then what is a good enough reason to won one?

"the modern dingo appears to be a relatively pure-bred descendant of one of the earliest domestications."
thats from wikipedia, which indicates that dingos ARE a type of domesticated dog, albeit an old one that has gone feral again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back