Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"the modern dingo appears to be a relatively pure-bred descendant of one of the earliest domestications."
thats from wikipedia, which indicates that dingos ARE a type of domesticated dog, albeit an old one that has gone feral again

There's domestication and then there's domestication. It happens at all different levels. You couldn't compare the domestication level of two different species.

Then what is a good enough reason to won one?

Ok my bad, i submit. Anyone who wants a Dingo should just go out and get one just cause they feel like it, without knowing anything about them or having any experience with them or having the correct facilities for them, but it's all good cause you want one so it must be right:rolleyes:.

Yes i know they are all dogs, but domestic dogs have been domesticated over a loooong time where as Dingos havent.. This isn't gonna get anywhere anyways cause everyone thinks something different.. But i still stand by that a Dingo shouldn't be given to average joe's cause they 'would like one'.

How could they be anymore dangerous than an animal that has been bred to fight, to kill, as guard dogs etc?

These dogs are available to who ever wants one.

Why regulate Dingo ownership but not bully's etc. What about dogs that people are breeding for pigging??? Have you been around pig dogs? They are DANGEROUS. They aren't just running off instinct, they are trained to kill but hey, lets just give them out, would you like fries and a gun with that:)

Why regulate Dingo ownership but not bully's etc.

Actually bully's ARE regulated here.. Something along the lines of you're not allowed to sell or purchase one, all current owned ones must be desexed, muzzled at all times and in an appropriately enclosed area.

Well that's here atleast, i can't make your area enforce these rules ;).

Ok my bad, i submit. Anyone who wants a Dingo should just go out and get one just cause they feel like it, without knowing anything about them or having any experience with them or having the correct facilities for them, but it's all good cause you want one so it must be right:rolleyes:.

Then how do you propose Dingos are regulated??

What knowledge do you suggest be gained prior to purchase?

Of course not! i would consider human kept snakes to be 'domesticated' - they live inside and would probably die very quickly if released, but i would never leave a child unnattended with, say, a large scrubby. Having said that, i don't leave children alone with any type of dog, regardless of size. Our tiny maltese was on the dangerous dog list of the electric board, having any kind of pet comes down to responsibilty. Don't bother with a dingo, there are plkenty of dingo looking dogs out there without the problems of a real one

So what are you saying? That if you want a certain pet you shouldn't get one? We all know you need to have knowledge of ANY ANIMAL YOU ARE GOING TO CARE FOR!

Wanting to have a certain animal is the best reason to get one! Do you think that making money is a better reason? Do you think as a trophy animal is better? To show off that you can afford one is better?

Last edited:
So what are you saying? That if you want a certain pet you shouldn't get one? We all know you need to have knowledge of ANY GOD DAMN ANIMAL YOU ARE GOING TO CARE FOR!

Wanting to have a certain animal is the best reason to get one! Do you think that making money is a better reason? Do you think as a trophy animal is better? To show off that you can afford one is better?

Well, i want a kangaroo, a wombat, a koala, a tassie devil and an echidna.. So i should be allowed one with only reading about them just cause i like them yeah?

Well, i want a kangaroo, a wombat, a koala, a tassie devil and an echidna.. So i should be allowed one with only reading about them just cause i like them yeah?

OMG!

There is a massive difference between any species of dog and any species of marsupial. But yes if you like them and you think you can look after one go for gold!

They are native Fauna, permits are required. but thats not what you are saying.

What you have been putting across is that wanting to get a Dingo isn't a good enough reason to get one.

What is then. What are the gounds for getting one?

Knowledge?? If you don't know how to care for an animal then you shouldn't buy one. Its quite simple.

Ok you guys seem to be taking what i have said about getting one just cause you want one in a different direction it was meant.. A dingo shouldn't be gotten when you know nothing about them, have no experience with them and possibly not even the proper facilities to care for them.. A dingo is a dog in essence but it is not really the same as just having an average dog.

If you guys reckon every average Joe should get a dingo then ok that's your opinion, mine is different and you aren't going to change it no matter how good of a reason you think just wanting one is.

Lucas are you saying a Dingo isn't native fauna? It shouldn't have the same standards?

There is nothing wrong with owning a Dingo Khagan. If someone wants one then that is a perfect reason to get one. Yes, they should know a little about it first.

A dingo isn't the bogey man. It won't devour your children and terrorise the neighbourhood. It won't steal you car, it may crap on your lawn though.

people keep talking about them taking kids, i know that there have been several attacks up on fraser, but that was by starving animals. If a pet is taken care of, and the owner is responsible and knows what they are about, why not have one? personally i wouldn't, but thats me. The whole 'dingo took my baby' has been proven, but domesticated breeds maul kids everyday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back