Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jordan-gibson

Reaction score
hello, i am thinking of making an enclosure for a spotted python and would like to know if i would need a latch or something if i have sliding glass doors on it? aslo what would be the optimal size enclosure for a spotted? thanks

Yes it should have a lock. You can get them from the same place you get the glass cut or from a hardware store. Macs don't need a real big enclosure. Mine are in 2x1.5x1.5

If you don't want to buy a locking latch (I use them), you can also bend a bit of wire to use as a latch - can't remember the old thread showing this, but very nifty. Other people have used rubber doorstops as a latch of sorts. Glass latches aren't terribly expensive and you can lock the enclosure if you need to.

Have you got the doors already? If not just ask when you get them cut. The glazier might chuck it in for cheap (or even free). Yeah that's feet

A keyed latch is around $8 , cheap insurance . When we have a party , or kids visiting , I take the keys out and hide them just to be sure .

well i was planing on going to this second hand place that i saw had a heap of glass and see if there was anything i could use there and then just get some sort of aluminium track for them to slide in, aslo would a 100cmL x 60cmW x 40-60cmH be good for a fully grown spotted?

not 100% sure how they work, so do you take the locking mechanism of the rail to open it? well it looks simple enough to use i think i might get one of them, aslo would 1cm or more ply be alright to make it out of, am planing on varnishing it after as well because i wont have a snake in it for a wile still so would that be alright? any varnish recommended to be used on cages? and any recommendations on vent sizes? thanks

i would ensure there enclosure is locked at all times when not around the python! my enclosures always have locks cause their very good escape artists, i used to regularly find my jungle carpet python at night trying to find escape points.... Pythons can get trough some of the smallest gaps that you wouldnt think it could so make sure the gap between the glass is covered by something (cause i caught my python using that to escape i glued a thin piece of glass between it).

http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/slide_lock.jpg that gap... the one which the lock slides through.

when i was little like 10 years old i used to have a childrens python and i forgot to put the lock on the enclosure a few times.. i would come back to the tank to either find it opening the tank with its nose or the glass door having a small gap and no snake (found it under the dishwasher.. but cause i was little and dumb and didnt lock it, it eventually just got away).. so their smart creatures and will utilise the glass doors.

but yeahh good luck! :D

Simply get a short piece of stainless steel wire
Bend it like a long letter S
The long bit will be the width of the double glass section
Snip the very end off the bit that will be inside the enclosure
Cannot break
Has no keys
Works 100%

I haven't used a latch on my Stimson or Jungle python enclosure yet, although I probably should :\
The Stimson python enclosure I'm not so worried about (the glass is quite heavy and there's next to no gap), however I shouldn't take my chances.

The glass reptile one enclosre I have for my Jungle Python has quite light glass doors.. Something tells me given her strength she wouldn't have much of
a problem sliding it open.

Legally (in Victoria at least) you do not need a lock, even on venomous snakes, simply the enclosures must be escape proof, this was discussed by me with them during a recent inspection. However for piece of mind if you have a lock and you use it, then you know that you are doing your best to keep the snake from escaping.

My beardie jumps at his doors cos he knows if it not locked hit them hard enuff and they will open....he is always locked now.Sookie my jungle python uses her body to try and slide her doors open,like rubbing the glass as if she was shedding and ever so slowly she can open her door.All exo-terra enclosures come with locks for doors.and now i use them.

well i went to bunnings today and got some 18mm ply, aluminium rails for the sliding glass doors, 2x 245x145mm vents and a cord duct for a heat mat (anyone use them? can they get out of them?) and have decide to that is will be 1000L x 600W x 500H and will put in a heat light and get a lock for the doors, aslo i would like to know how much something like that would be able to sell for if its well made because i am thinking of making another to pay for some or all of the costs involved of making the cage and getting the snake, thanks

If you're only making a one off you wouldn't really be able to make enough profit to make it worthwhile I don't think. Have a look in the for sale section and see what people are selling them for

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back