Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beatlloydy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Was wondering if a snake was smart enough not to poop inside their cave...e.g. mine has only been with me for 4 days so as yet still waiting for him to go before I feed him, (13 days since last feed)...I know he comes out at night when it is quiet as I saw him on Sunday night have a good explore...would he wait until then to do his business or would they just go when they need to and possibly do in their hide rock?

my bredli goes wherever she wants. including in her cave. my jungle tends to come out of his hide to poop. i think my bredli's just lazy. haha

mine has never pooped inside its little cave but it has at the entrance. Usually she does it when it is out and about of a night.

Mine have never done it in either of their hides (they have 2 hides each). Anywhere else in the enclosure is fair game though.

It depends on the species and circumstances. Most of my pythons do it in a corner away from the hide and then avoid it until I've cleaned it up. Some species of lizards will poop then run all through it without a second thought. I've noticed that Barking geckos (Nephrurus milii) will only go in the same corner as if the designated corner was a toilet, and not run through it.

Most of my snakes will poo well away from there hides, except for my black headed pythons which will pretty much always go in their hides and then lay in it and then drag it all round the enclosures.

Some species of lizards will poop then run all through it without a second thought.

My blueys are diabolical for this some days. You know it's been a messy day when you come home from work & see brown footprints up the enclosure wall......

Probably a prudent time in a poo thread to reinforce how important it is to maintain good hygiene when handling our herps, lots of hand washing with soap as a minimum before & after, I also use an anti bacterial gel.

Mine don't do it in their hides. And they never seem to go through it. Although my stimmi pooped then somehow smeared it all over a glass panel in his tank. but only once lol. What a nightmare to clean :)

just feed it, you dont need to wait for it to poop. it probably has nothing in its belly to poop out after 13 days. i bet a day or two after a feed she will deploy a nice hot steaming turd for you to clean up.

either that or she may be in shed and will crap her brains out after that.

my snake tends to poop in the cool end and aims for the water bowl. she lands them on top of her hide at the hot end every now and then. i think snakes are like birds.. they like to do their business from a height so the chances of them doing it in their hide is probably slim.

My enclosures have a roof hide. Out of 3 Jungles, 2 constantly poop in there and 1 hasn't. They generally avoid the hide after that until I clean it. One way to get more viewing time I guess. Yeah I've had them aim at the water bowl a few time too.

A lot of my guys crap in their hides, they tend to prefer their waterbowls though. Womas are the exception which love to save it for when they are out for some sun under the clothes line though. I love my womas.

my jungle does his business everywhere... even on the fern leaves ... ha ... found him last week sleeping rite next to his poo ....

Thanks for all the replies...it makes me feel a lot better knowing that it is random..I guess when it happens I will smell it anyway as I am led to believe it is quite gross.

Perhaps I can train mine to go on cue? lol ...I have a burmese cat who we have trained to use a toilet...still working on her to get the flush right (just like in meet the Fockers)...kidding about the flush but she has been toilet trained for 3 months now..saves big time on litter and doesnt stink as much.

Mine once pooped in my bed.:D:rolleyes:
I was sitting on it and holding her, she started to wander and before I could get her back...:p

my bredli goes wherever she wants. including in her cave. my jungle tends to come out of his hide to poop. i think my bredli's just lazy. haha

dexter always seems to do it anywhere but his hide :) how is george doing by the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back