Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
REALLY? I might believe it of a CAPTIVE snake, but NOT a WILD one. And if you think that, then PLEASE explain WHY one attacked my mate? He didn't know the snake was there, but he soon figured it out when it was coming for him.

Well RBB, I agree that they can be nervous and easily provoked, but it is not just 'stupid ignorant people', but people that don't know it's there and it feels threatened.

BECAUSE I love snakes my mate promised not to kill any more, unless they threaten him... He was apologised for killing it, but with a choice between my mate and the snake... I supported his choice.

But that is one stunning snake in the picture!!!!
hence the words ESPECIALLY AFTER....thats the key of my comment ...I wasnt saying every interaction with a brown snake is by a stupid person .....;)

[quote=( but he soon figured it out when it was coming for him)................if you back them into a corner they will defend themselfs i have approched over a hundred wild easterns and none of them came at me .... consiser yourself lucky if you do get to see them as they are usually gone before you get there.

REALLY? I might believe it of a CAPTIVE snake, but NOT a WILD one. And if you think that, then PLEASE explain WHY one attacked my mate? He didn't know the snake was there, but he soon figured it out when it was coming for him.

Well RBB, I agree that they can be nervous and easily provoked, but it is not just 'stupid ignorant people', but people that don't know it's there and it feels threatened.

BECAUSE I love snakes my mate promised not to kill any more, unless they threaten him... He was apologised for killing it, but with a choice between my mate and the snake... I supported his choice.

But that is one stunning snake in the picture!!!!
if your mate can go to the efford to kill the snake why not just walk away and where were you in the bush or what :D

I know bugger all about them except they can be psycho hose beasts when you are trying to bag them :D, but here is a my favourite pic as requested

3074046274_d894911d3f.jpg

Sel, this is a juvi they brought out after the fact for a few photos. I had to bag a 5-6' one that they left in a nice warm spot for me ... gotta love that.

I know RBB, but people don't see that in the bush (and I have come across a lot in the bush). If you are unfortunate enough to startle one you can be in real trouble. I was walking past the shed one day and saw movement out of the corner of my eye... I don't think I was 'close enough to be in it's space', but geez I had to move it fast.

SOME snakes are aggro (maybe because it had a bad encounter, I don't know)... But they are the most dangerous because they WILL have a go at you... Without reason, other then you are there, or you moved.

For the sake of NOT starting a flame throwing debate, I won't go into the whys and wherefors of why he killed it, but just think of this... If you are over 600kms from a snake relocator, and the snake CAN'T stay around the area it has to be killed. He hadn't backed it into a corner, and he doesn't go out of his way to chase or kill snakes... He is too darn busy running his Station.

Last edited:
After almost 30 years of either living in or spending a hell of a lot of time in the bush I have only come across one angry snake, I accidentally stepped on a brown when I was about 10. Every other snake I have come across either took of bloody quick or completly ignored me being where I was. The best moment was taking some pics of a Black while it was hunting on a river bank and the thing ended up over my feet and between my legs.

i agree aliveandkicking. I got fly fishing alot and sneak around the river banks quietly. I scare quite a few snakes by sneaking up on them. They most definietly stand up and demand some respect but never have I been attacked.

i have been told fairly interesting tales by people who've been on the land for years ... one was about a tiger that stood up in front of this individual and was "spitting venom". Apprently it spat so much that she had to wipe her glasses ... but it never struck. Go figure?!

I've also heard of rbbs "leaping off river banks" and charging at people.

edit: and then there's the ol chestnut where the tiger chased a mate of a mate and was so fast it kept up with him on his bike ... i have heard this one numerous times :rolleyes:

I think the aggression theory come from the snake mistakenly making a run for it in the wrong direction most of the time.

I know RBB, but people don't see that in the bush (and I have come across a lot in the bush). If you are unfortunate enough to startle one you can be in real trouble. I was walking past the shed one day and saw movement out of the corner of my eye... I don't think I was 'close enough to be in it's space', but geez I had to move it fast.

SOME snakes are aggro (maybe because it had a bad encounter, I don't know)... But they are the most dangerous because they WILL have a go at you... Without reason, other then you are there, or you moved.

For the sake of NOT starting a flame throwing debate, I won't go into the whys and wherefors of why he killed it, but just think of this... If you are over 600kms from a snake relocator, and the snake CAN'T stay around the area it has to be killed.

A lot of it comes down to people misinterpreting what a snake is doing. Just because a snake is "coming at you", doesn't mean it's trying to attack you. Generally if you stand still it will keep moving past you...chances are, you startled it and it is trying to escape...but you are between it and where it wants to escape to.

Again, NO snake is aggressive and they will NOT have a go at you without reason. Again, put yourself in the snakes shoes instead of yours - when your eyes are 1/2 an inch of the ground, the smallest stimulus can be interpreted as being a big threat.

I'm not one of those people who gets all up in arms about people killing snakes. Of course I don't appreciate it, but there is little point scolding them about it as generally they enjoy being ignorant and don't want to learn anyway. All you can do is offer a little education which they won't accept anyway as they always think they know better :)

It's funny...a few weeks ago we were photographing a Spotted Python near a pub in Cracow, QLD...one of the locals came up and said it wasn't a Spotted Python, it was a baby Carpet Python. Meanwhile I'm there, next to my ute full of snake handling gear, wearing my Educational Reptile Displays shirt, taking photo's of said snake...I asked him if he's going to try and teach me about snakes, can I try and teach him about mining for gold...he didn't like that.

For the sake of NOT starting a flame throwing debate, I won't go into the whys and wherefors of why he killed it, but just think of this... If you are over 600kms from a snake relocator, and the snake CAN'T stay around the area it has to be killed.
RUBBISH ....there are so many other things you can do ,other then KILL snakes ......they live there to. YOU HAVE INVADED THEIR ENVIROMENT ,YOU HAVE LEFT THEM NO CHOICE BUT TO LIVE WITH YOU ..YOU HAVE ENCOURAGED RODENTS WITH FEEDS AND FARMING CROPS , YOU HAVE CREATED MANY HIDING OPPORTUNITIES AROUND YOUR HOUSES,YOU LEAVE OUT WATER CONTAINERS AND TROUGHS, YOU HAVE FARMED LANDS AND MADE THEM DESOLATE AND DECREASED THE LIVING AREAS THAT THE SNAKES CAN LIVE IN ,YOU HAVE MADE THE DECISION TO LIVE IN THE BUSH....see now who is more of a danger ? thier only defence is their bite and overall most so called bites ,are dry ones ..venomous snakes do realise you are not food ,they see you only as a predetor and in that they protect themselves...eastern browns snakes are one of the most encountered species of all ,and sadly one of the most killed..all because the "WHAT IF SENARIO" in peoples uneducated heads and fearful actions ...people see a eb halfway down the backyard and need to go and get the shovel or shotgun ..because of the what ifs....well why dont people try the other what ifs like :WHAT IF I JUST OBSERVED THE SNAKE AND SEE WHAT ITS DOING ? WHAT IF I TIE UP MY DOG SO IT DOESNT ATTACK THE SNAKE AND THEN IN RETURN I HAVE TO KILL IT BECAUSE IT BIT MY DOG SENARIO..WHAT IF I CLEAN UP MY HOUSE SO THAT MY GARDENS AND SHEDS ARE MORE VISUAL AND I AM ABLE TO ACTUALLY SEE WHERE I HAVE THINGS OR UNDER SHRUBS ..WHAT IF I ACTUALLY WORE PROPER CLOTHING WHEN I AM OUT BUSH WALKING OR WORKING THE FARM ....see so many what ifs ......

It's funny...a few weeks ago we were photographing a Spotted Python near a pub in Cracow, QLD...one of the locals came up and said it wasn't a Spotted Python, it was a baby Carpet Python. Meanwhile I'm there, next to my ute full of snake handling gear, wearing my Educational Reptile Displays shirt, taking photo's of said snake...I asked him if he's going to try and teach me about snakes, can I try and teach him about mining for gold...he didn't like that.[/quote]
LOL that is funny :lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, we have pretty much been the same Aliveandkicking... One cranky Olive (which is still alive) and a cranky Whip snake at the NT Station. A cranky (but fairly small thank you God) brown snake (we didn't know what it was), and a Brown Tree Snake at the home Station (The Brown Tree Snake was alive when we sold the Station). The Brown and a grey snake a few years ago at Charlie's. And I came across a few, well four, cranky ones around Mareeba a couple of years ago.

I don't like killing snakes, but as much as I can see the beauty in that Brown, I don't feel the same about Vens as I do about Pythons, or Tree snakes. I know that people are going to be upset and want to flame me, but that is my feeling. When a Ven is close to my house and there is no person to relocate them, they are gone. I have a small son and I won't risk him. Out in remote locations we have to be aware, but a number of us promote pythons and tree snakes.

Yeah, we have pretty much been the same Aliveandkicking... One cranky Olive (which is still alive) and a cranky Whip snake at the NT Station. A cranky (but fairly small thank you God) brown snake (we didn't know what it was), and a Brown Tree Snake at the home Station (The Brown Tree Snake was alive when we sold the Station). The Brown and a grey snake a few years ago at Charlie's. And I came across a few, well four, cranky ones around Mareeba a couple of years ago.

I don't like killing snakes, but as much as I can see the beauty in that Brown, I don't feel the same about Vens as I do about Pythons, or Tree snakes. I know that people are going to be upset and want to flame me, but that is my feeling. When a Ven is close to my house and there is no person to relocate them, they are gone. I have a small son and I won't risk him. Out in remote locations we have to be aware, but a number of us promote pythons and tree snakes.
:evil: as I said ignorance and fear .........very sad you feel that way ...there is so much more dangerous things in the world to harm your son then a eastern brown encounter.....hopefully one day you will understand that ....:cry:

Deep breath.....
Then how about you move into suburbia? That's much safer, btw, make sure to never ever let your son get into a car. Just a guess here, id say cars kill more people than snakes? But maybe I'm just crazy.....

Lol... Yeah Jonno... I am braced... Here is the first!

Hey RBB, you don't know me... You can't say I am ignorant or fear snakes. Fear is a lack of understanding. I don't 'fear' snakes, I respect snakes. Yeah, they could 'clean up around the Homestead', they could tie up the dogs', they could do a lot of things... But until you've worked and lived the lifestyle it is very hard for people to understand.

We are over 600 kms from Anti-venom... And considering the state of THAT road, it is over 9 hours DRIVE.

It was due to an Educator like Jonno that changed my opinion from a 'kill any Ven or unknown' to a leave them be, and stay still. It was 2 yrs after that event that my youngest daughter had an Eastern Brown coming towards her, I told her to stay still and it went by her a metre away. I left it be, it left me be. However the clowns I was with decided to attack it with their fishing rods... What did the snake do? It bolted!! I tried to stop them, but I got shoved out of the way. However my intervention allowed the snake to vanish into the vines that grow along the beach at Yepoon.

But I know that I can't educate a 2 yr old child to 'stay still when he sees a snake. What would you have us do? How are we to survive? We don't go out into the paddocks and kill every snake we see. In fact we tend to leave them alone... Lol... Good Rabbit control!!! But around the Homestead???

I got told off for telling someone that my brother used a stick and a cloth to catch a snake, that was in our Chook Coop... So what do we do? Take risks, and perhaps they might turn into stupid ones? No, we can't risk $20 million Cattle Stations over a snake.

Now while this is getting read, I am going to do the dishes.

I had been told a few years ago that Anti-venom had to be administered with 3 hours if it was to work. I thank Jonno for putting me straight rather then trying to flame. I can now say that if a snake is around the homestead and I am the only one to see it, it will live. Give me a chance to work on my 'adopted' brother, and hopefully he will come around too.

I had been told a few years ago that Anti-venom had to be administered with 3 hours if it was to work. I thank Jonno for putting me straight rather then trying to flame. I can now say that if a snake is around the homestead and I am the only one to see it, it will live. Give me a chance to work on my 'adopted' brother, and hopefully he will come around too.
glad to read your comming around ,,,,I am a licensed catcher with QLD parks ..have caught many 'BROWNS" that have been in the farming situation , hay sheds ,cattle yards , homesteds, FEAR is what makes people act the way they do ,you FEAR for your son as to be expected, but dont under estimate the abilities of a two year old either..no he may not fully understand the dangers of what an eastern brown can do to him BUT he should be able to let mummy know if he see's a snake considering he is only two and wouldnt be left on his own ,on a station where cranky cattle and DAMS AND TROUGHS are around now would he ? he would obviously be with either parent or a much older wiser person now wouldnt he? so my point is as the adult you can make an adult decision which is no need to KILL the snake but to do something else ....instead like if your in the backyard of the homested and find a EB on your back lawn GET THE HOSE you spray the snake in the face , as it has not got any eyelids, it wont like it but you wont hurt it and you can safely move it on without getting to close to it ...."Jonno" may know his stuff but he isnt the only one either ..that deals with QLDS venomous snakes , some of us on here actually catch wild vens too;) by the way you have more chance of a FARMING ACCIDENT then a fatal snake bite ...just a thought too...

Last edited:
if your mate can go to the efford to kill the snake why not just walk away and where were you in the bush or what :D

That is quite amusing isn't it ... In all honesty! So he killed it and wonders why on earth it was showing such
a defensive mannerism :? ...... The mind truly boggles! There's one of those stupid people redbellybite was talking about before I think! Hard to identify straight away, but when their cover is blown like that, boy are they easy to spot! :shakes head:

puppy dog like in captivity ,that may be ...but wild encountered and in my opinion and experience they are extremely nervous and easily provoked, especially after being hassled by stupid ignorant people or dumb dogs....

Don't you mean dumb people and ignorant dogs? At least the dogs have an excuse :D

My favourite idiot redneck story from Kris is the guy who called him to a place where someone had a dead EB they wanted identified. So he turned up and identified the snake and listened to the guy's tale of woe about how aggressive the snake was, biting at everything that moved....especially the broom and the dog. The broom and the dog?? Yeah mate the guy said, when I first saw it I tried to whack it with the broom which was when it arced up and so I got the dog to hop in and have a go too but it started biting at the broom AND the dog. Guess the EB hadn't read the book about rolling over and taking it when someone tries to kill you.

I seem to recall reading a story somewhere the other day about a poor unfortunate boy who was the victim of snakebite after he'd picked a mulga or some such up and swung it over his head.

Yup, it's just so much better to interfere with them than let them go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back