Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok well some peoples definitions of aggression vary, for the record, i dont think reptiles are capable of "aggression" either.
And they have a memory of a lot longer the a few sconds, that im sure of.

What if the reptile has had a few rums? Rum always makes me angry...

Ok, imo a snake that has been man handled does remember the experience.
The snake becomes more wary of human contact than an animal that has had no such experiences, therefore becoming more dangerous to humans.
That dosnt mean to say they are activly seeking revenge but they have learned that people are bad and they react more defensivly.
M.punja

In your nans day there were a lot more tigers around, and a lot more contact with tigers and a lot more wivestales
Elapid@

back in there day when they didn't have antivenom when people got bitten and just died , then people would come up with tales cause back then they would have been twice as scary as they didn't have the antivenom. like my grand dad told me this guy on his farm once got bitten on the hand from a tiger snake while lifting hay bails , he died from loss of blood as he choped his hand of with an axe.:(
The good old days hey ssssnakeman

If a snake was cornered,the only thing to do is bite,other than try to escape,if they had arms,they might punch,but they dont,they only have a mouth in which thats their only defense,alot of ppl put themselfs in harms way,also if you plan to go walking in bush or where there is snakes,where appropiate footwear,you see so many ppl that go herping,wearing thongs,also take first aid equipment,just incase.

Well i would happily stand in a pit with no shoes and only shorts on and put twenty of your eastern browns in there with me and i wouldn't get bitten if i just stood still.if you treat them with respect they will respect you back

Well i would happily stand in a pit with no shoes and only shorts on and put twenty of your eastern browns in there with me and i wouldn't get bitten if i just stood still.if you treat them with respect they will respect you back

agreed.

every dumb person in the world has a story of being "chased " by a snake

i even heard a storey from a mates mum a couple of days ago,that when she was young a tiger snake chased her from a wood pile al the way back to her house,and when she got inside and closed the door it went up to all the windows and was tapping on the windows trying to get in,and it was only when some dude,turned up and killed the tiger snake that they where saved from the foul and loathsome creature:lol:

That sounds like the "hoop snakes" they used to get in the country.There where these snakes that would put there tails in there mouth and then roll down the hill and bite people.

every dumb person in the world has a story of being "chased " by a snake

Yeah, and so do some smart ones. It's not a persons fault they didn't know to 'stand still' and ran in a straight line. Let's be factual- for years people have lived in fear, because they haven't understood snakes. If we go around flaming them, will they learn?? No. It takes people like Jonno, and other Educators and snake re-locators to explain the truth to people.

Human nature- something attacks, we must fight or flight... As soon as someone is verbally attacked they CEASE to listen. By calmly and quietly explaining things people DO come around. I have witnessed it and I have done it with hostile people who wanted to kill my python.

If we use arrogance, telling them they are dumb, ignorant, stupid, etc we are not trying to explain, we are attacking.

these "chase" storeys seem only ever come from people with litle knowledge of elapids and there behaviour
i think these instances in reality would be extremely rare and almost always false as people with alot of experiance and knowledge and deal with these creatures on an almost daily basis,never seem to report witnessing this behaviour
perhaps these people should write a paper on there experiance of being chased down by a rouge brown snake,i would like to read

these "chase" storeys seem only ever come from people with litle knowledge of elapids and there behaviour
i think these instances in reality would be extremely rare and almost always false as people with alot of experiance and knowledge and deal with these creatures on an almost daily basis,never seem to report witnessing this behaviour
perhaps these people should write a paper on there experiance of being chased down by a rouge brown snake,i would like to read

I rest my case... People that DON'T know if they stand still the snake wouldn't know they are there. People that haven't been educated!!

As I said before- It all depends how we attempt to educate them to how they listen. When my Mom started ranting about my snakes the other day- I STOPPED LISTENING (I'm over 21 and not at home!!). However when calm and quiet people listen. I've seen it at displays, and I am sure people like Jonno have seen it too.

EDIT: I think we are on the same page, but I believe it is wrong to say 'dumb people', I believe the term should be 'uneducated'. Dumb implies being unable to use the knowledge, uneducated means they DON'T know.

I bet if you approached the average person on the street and asked them "Did you know that if you see a snake and stay still it will go away?" MOST would say "What? No way." I know I didn't before I learnt.

Browns are by far my favorite elapid spp. I currently have 5 all have different, looks, colourations and temprements.
Agree with jonno from ERD s comments. Attached is a pic of my syd form brown,he was wild caught on permit when it was a yearling, he is now 3 yrs old, and probably my most placid snake.

deepak thomson.JPG

Ps - Should have some NON feeding Gosford Brown hatchlings for sale by late feb-early march.

Dee

Browns are by far my favorite elapid spp. I currently have 5 all have different, looks, colourations and temprements.
Agree with jonno from ERD s comments. Attached is a pic of my syd form brown,he was wild caught on permit when it was a yearling, he is now 3 yrs old, and probably my most placid snake.

View attachment 74658

Ps - Should have some NON feeding Gosford Brown hatchlings for sale by late feb-early march.

Dee

Wow you are trusting haha.

If I ever have vens no way am I going to freehandle, just not worth the risk no matter how placid they might be.

View attachment 74658

Dee
voodoo where are the sunshine coast (qld) wild caught placid brown sliding up your arm pics?;);)....and wild storm I never said dumb people ..I said dumb dogs and stupid ignorant people ,the ones that even after you have been at a call out and explained the situation about snakes and THEY STILL BEG TO DIFFER ...even Jonno has experienced those type of people..

we saw 2 on our trip around wombeyan caves the 1st was dor about 7 ft 2nd was on road but alive . I stopped for a pic from a safe distance ,got back in and drove slowly so it could get off the road . It didnt move far reared up and wanted to have a go at the car . No i dont think there a very freindly snake
rodney

View attachment 74658

Dee

Beautiful snake!

If that were me my heart would be pounding.lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back