Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
what the hell
basically he is referring to the morons in this hobby yes theres quite a few. but thats the problem with having reptiles in pet shops and having licences easy to get:(

YEAH ! ppl who keep them are idiots ! why would u want to risk your

life ??

Too true mate! These Idiots are as bad as people who own crocodiles and large pythons that can kill. Tsk tsk.

brb, happy wants to go for a walk

I dont see it as risking my life. I keep them in an appropriate envornment were they feel as they were in there natural habitat. I am very careful with them and yes unfortunately I have been bitten many, many times by the worst. Ive kept these and bred these for over 15 yrs . I study there personalities and feeding habits, and there husbandry. I have found that they reflect on human behavour.
\
I am responsible and I am still alive

see DANDELIONS response for my reply.. GROW UP

i think people shouldn't just get a venomous/deadly snake 'cos they can or think it's cool ....i've often pondered the question why is it so easy to get an advanced licence then go buy...a taipan or tiger or what ever it's just way to easy ....we have the majority of the top 10 deadliest here in aus and their all allowed on the licence sure their "advanced" wow an extra 50 a year or what ever then go get yourself a taipan LOL sure why not play with fire it's only you're life only people with YEARS of knowledge should be allowed to house them and even then they should have to explain the reason as to why they want this snake in particular to the dse thats just my opinion :D:D

personally i think the only people who should own venemous snakes and such should be the ones who are professionals or people who have had training in that kind of thing...or someone who was brought up with that stuff like steve irwin.
people who own them just to look at or watever are pretty stupid...not to mention its cruel..why have a pet if its just going to be in a cage all the time?
anyways thats just my oppinion this thread is actually pretty entertaining lol
the person who started it though does need to grow up, there was no reason to start fights over it or discuss the matter in the way you did

Wookie, whatever. All i am saying is these creaures should be appreciated, as they create some sort of happiness/forfithment in such a persons life as my own and should be respected to the greatest gratitude that they are here in own backyards (meaning Aus) . Maybe one day when you get bit by a lonesome walk inthe bush, you will be able to the antivenom that was created by me.

personally i think the only people who should own venemous snakes and such should be the ones who are professionals or people who have had training in that kind of thing...or someone who was brought up with that stuff like steve irwin.
people who own them just to look at or watever are pretty stupid...not to mention its cruel..why have a pet if its just going to be in a cage all the time?
anyways thats just my oppinion this thread is actually pretty entertaining lol
the person who started it though does need to grow up, there was no reason to start fights over it or discuss the matter in the way you did
thats true in a sense but there is people like that in all aspects of the hobby whether its lizards,pythons or elapids it doesnt matter. snakes are different to lizards in the sense that they need less space for their size and only heat no lighting to be happy. they are a simple animal with simple needs and as long as those needs are fulfilled they are happy:) and plus elapids are interesting pets just look at the adders for instance.

thats true in a sense but there is people like that in all aspects of the hobby whether its lizards,pythons or elapids it doesnt matter. snakes are different to lizards in the sense that they need less space for their size and only heat no lighting to be happy. they are a simple animal with simple needs and as long as those needs are fulfilled they are happy:) and plus elapids are interesting pets just look at the adders for instance.
yeah i get where your coming from. i guess so long as the animal is being treated properly and looked after as best as possible then its ok. but i guess really people shouldnt go and get a creature that can potentially kill them if they have no idea what they are doing

thanks dandelion, I am with you all the way. I have been brought up in a herpetolical sense and havent had a lot any family time.. It has all been study. You may have seen recent dialogues in Herpefauna...

Elapids make great pets

Elapids make great pets – Many owners handle them with out protection, tongs or the like. As pointed out before they are not for everybody (I would suspect you are one of them by your comments). It is not hard to handle a snake with out injuring. I come from a family of what you would call snake handlers – One is the local snake catcher and the other was the snake expert for the local wildlife department. All I can say is neither of them own a snake hook or tongs. Like my self – they just bend down and gently pickup the snake. (Don’t try this at home).
Many people get satisfaction keeping a large range of animals – Including Elapids – just not all animals are for everyone (As I mentioned above).

There is about 1.5 to 2.5 snake bite fatalities in Australia (Depending on where one takes their statistics). Statically speaking - there is a very low chance of been killed by a snake even if you keep them as pets.

like i said only ADVANCED herps should own venomous snakes LOL not saying no one should keep them at all......

yer im not saying NO ONE should keep them, just people not people who want them to look "kool" or dont know anything about them and yer u get the idea

and no worries dazza :) ur lucky i think it wud be so kool to brought up in that kind of environment..welll it would be very interesting!

adders are my favourite but Oxyuranus and Pseudonaja are my specialty, I love them all

and i still think their way to easy to obtain by even the novices out there....

Plenty of people including myself barely handle their reptiles including harmless pythons. How is that cruel? Their would be more of an argument saying that excessive handling is cruel whether it be a ven or harmless python, rather then leaving them in peace in their cages.

Would dandelion and miss croft, like to talk scientifically to me.. It would be much appreciated. Other than trying to discomfort others with there BLUE TONGUES.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back