Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChimeraProNG

Reaction score
:)HI. Just wanting others opinions on elapid keepers getting bitten/envenomated? Is it exceptable or does anybody beleive that it just shouldn't happen with correct husbandry. also do you think that someone who has been bitten be able to "EDUCATE" others or even keep their licence? I've never been bitten and do everything in my power to not get bitten/envenomated! or do accidents happen? lol:lol::rolleyes::rolleyes:

guess no one plans on being bitten. i would think getting bitten would be an accident. yes that person could educate others on how they were bitten and what they have done since so the same accident dosent happen again

Cheers glad sombody is entering the thread:) i never thought of that side of it with being able to educate on what not to do.

:)HI. Just wanting others opinions on elapid keepers getting bitten/envenomated? Is it exceptable or does anybody beleive that it just shouldn't happen with correct husbandry. also do you think that someone who has been bitten be able to "EDUCATE" others or even keep their licence? I've never been bitten and do everything in my power to not get bitten/envenomated! or do accidents happen? lol:lol::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Husbandy refers to the way you setup/maintain their enclosures.
I think you mean handling. If you're keeping vens IMO you shoud pay attention AT ALL TIMES when you're in a position where getting bitten is a possibitlity...

Accidnets do happen but I think most ven keepers would be very very very very careful :)

Plus they should still keep their licence - if we get tagged by our pythons we get to keep ours. They just choose to keep venomous snakes, and I'm pretty sure to have a ven licence you have to hold your normal licence for a certain period of time so HOPEFULLY they shoul dbe fairly experienced in handling and caring for all snakes. Hopefully ;)

fritz husbandry also refers to the care/raising and breeding of animals so fluffieherper is correct in what she says (unless he/she was refering to handling of wild animals then you would be correct), because im sure cleaning enclosures, feeding snakes and transporting them can all be hazardous tasks.

cheers
Jess

i think when keeping vens ya gotta always be on the look out, usually you would be able to read the snakes body language but sometimes these things happen. I dont believe its bad husbandry its just bad choices and we all muck up sometimes im just lucky i have never been hit.

What happens is usually complacency creeps in then it's just a matter of time.

What happens is usually complacency creeps in then it's just a matter of time.
thanks Ramsayi. I also feel its complacency that plays a large part in envenomations. look at places like venom supplies and the reptile park they have protocol in place to prevent accidents due to complacency, amongst other things like correct handling/husbandry work/environments ect. the biggest thing that worries me is the ammount of free handling of animals that are deadly. id like to see it harder for elapid keepers/educational presenters to get and hold their permits if they feel the need to risk their lives plus those around them IMO:)

thanks Ramsayi. I also feel its complacency that plays a large part in envenomations. look at places like venom supplies and the reptile park they have protocol in place to prevent accidents due to complacency, amongst other things like correct handling/husbandry work/environments ect. the biggest thing that worries me is the ammount of free handling of animals that are deadly. id like to see it harder for elapid keepers/educational presenters to get and hold their permits if they feel the need to risk their lives plus those around them IMO:)

Why do you assume that making things harder for permit holders would make things safer?(are things in fact unsafe anyway) and we also have the subject of freehandling raised again with no evidence of it's involvement.
I suggest anyone who worries about the dangers of venomous snakes sits down at the end of a typical day and makes a list of everything they did for the day and note the danger level accorded to each activity by the statistics. We don't think twice about doing the most dangerous things many times every day.

i know a person that works at a snake farm , they dont milk the old way they take blood straight from there heart any way she been taged 3 times now even with strick guide lines , her motto handle a enough snakes and youll get tagged

i know a person that works at a snake farm , they dont milk the old way they take blood straight from there heart any way she been taged 3 times now even with strick guide lines , her motto handle a enough snakes and youll get tagged
Well if they are that stupid to think their is venom in a snakes heart then they deserve to get tagged a 100 times on the face

RBB how many vens do u rekon you have handled?

accidents happen. It's not just about being complaicent. A ven, or python for that matter, can go from not to hot in a split second. Sometimes humans are not that quick. Making licencing harder wont make it any more safe. In my experience, ven keepers are a different breed of people. Just a quick question Fluffy, do you own vens? Not having a go, just curious;)

And for the record, if I'm freehandling my snakes at my house, in my time, by myself, why does that worry you? If I get tagged it's my problem. I really don't believe me getting hit will bother you that much, seeing that your from QLD and I'm a mexican;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back