Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO only,i believe if you play with fire you get burnt,or singed a little ;) haha there arnt too many long time elapid keepers that havnt been tagged, it all goes with the territory.
to say that someone that has been bitten by a ven cant be an educator is a tad silly,as even the best get bitten. educators obviously are in that position because of their knowledge not because they own a few elapids.
just my opinion ;)

smithy.

And for the record, if I'm freehandling my snakes at my house, in my time, by myself, why does that worry you? If I get tagged it's my problem. I really don't believe me getting hit will bother you that much, seeing that your from QLD and I'm a mexican;)

Indirectly you getting tagged in the privacy of your own home could affect others.

If enough keepers get bitten and require hospitalisation the government being that they love interfering in nearly every aspect of our lives could decide to make the keeping of venomous species illegal.

The cost of being treated in hospital is also covered by the taxpayer.

When keeping elapids you need to understand and appreciate the risks. It is not accepted as having to happen, nor is it inevitable that you will get bitten. The most important thing to remember is that daily life contains risks, we mitigate these risks by our actions, training and working within our capabilities.

To say that it is accepted as going to happen is like saying you are going to have a serious car accident, it may or may not happen, it does often relate to your ability but also circumstances that are beyond your own control. You are working with living animals that are fast moving by nature.

I know that if I get tagged then my family will be affected by it, my son could loose his father, my parents could loose their son, my wife her husband. Let alone any other people in my life. There is no room for error, no room for mucking around, it is a side of keeping that is dangerous!

RBB how many vens do u rekon you have handled?

HANDLED I DONT NEED TOO ,,,I HAVE A CERTAIN WHISTLE THAT I DO ,THEY ALL JUMP INTO MY BAG .....
iM LIKE THE PIED PIPER ....

I dont keep any ,but handled as in catching ...in 4 years of having my permit ,LOTS ...mainly eastern browns and rbbs,but have had yellow face whips ,crowns ,small-eyed etc and dont forget the BTS even though they are a colubrid ;)

Last edited:
Doctors need to keep up their skills, just like elapid handlers need to keep theirs up, it's a win win if no one dies :lol:

Doctors need to keep up their skills, just like elapid handlers need to keep theirs up, it's a win win if no one dies :lol:

Another thing to note about people groaning and moaning about taxpayers having to foot the bill for snake bites, is the simple truth that anti-venom has a shelf life whether it's used or not. I'd like to think the taxpayer could be getting value for money for ANY snakebite that is treated with this stock ;)....................:lol:

Another thing to note about people groaning and moaning about taxpayers having to foot the bill for snake bites, is the simple truth that anti-venom has a shelf life whether it's used or not. I'd like to think the taxpayer could be getting value for money for ANY snakebite that is treated with this stock ;)....................:lol:

:lol:

"Making it user pays" might slow a few of the cowboys down though.

someone would still have to fork out to keep it on the hosptal shelf tho, the tax payer

and im sure your tune would change if you got tagged and had to pay for it lol

Maybe we could go to user pays for accidents and injuries resulting from other pastimes/pursuits like horse riding, bike riding, hiking, bushwalking,boating,swimming,tennis,cricket, football......you get my drift

Maybe we could go to user pays for accidents and injuries resulting from other pastimes/pursuits like horse riding, bike riding, hiking, bushwalking,boating,swimming,tennis,cricket, football......you get my drift

Yeah why not?

BTW It's time for todays fishing lesson.The secret is to use a bit of berley ;)

guys guys guys its christmas time ...no one wants to get tagged now ...everyone knows that going into hospital this time of year SUX as you know you will be stuck in there for ages ...

REALLY ...no one that either catches or keeps vens ,wants to be tagged ...but it has and does happen and that person should be given the first aid that is required ,regardless if it was because they were rescuing it or free handling ...as was said ,people that choose to do other hobbies have risks and things can go wrong to...even stamp collectors are at risk of getting a paper cut ;)

I was hoping to learn more about elapids from this thread - no one seems to be winning this debate, it has definately curbed my interest for now :(

I was hoping to learn more about elapids from this thread - no one seems to be winning this debate, it has definately curbed my interest for now :(
learning as in what ?
*yes.... you can be bitten by your vens and end up in hospital or a pine box.

*yes.... you can get addicted and complacent and end up getting bitten, going to hospital or end up in a pine box.

*yes... even if you rescue them, you can end up getting bitten and go to hospital or end up in a pine box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back