Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love your work Rob, Ollie, the copperhead look pretty good,
the wound could have inflicted on it when it was young,
by a bird of some sort maybe?.
Anyway, here is some footage from tonight at the police station...
[video=youtube;aueDr2DOMVQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aueDr2DOMVQ[/video]

well cant say where the exact location the tiger is from so id say its a keeper barry!!

Nah rob. the guy picked the snake up froom a building site in Rosebud so Ill relocate it there.
I wouldn't be able to keepanyway.
If i can't determine the locale Im obligated to euthanise them,
In Vic they can't be kept, generally speaking.

Did I hear there was a scorpion there as well?

Yes there was some sort of scorpion in the box, that had the bagged snake in it.

scorp.jpgsca.jpgpoltig.jpg

Anyone know the species of the scorpion?

Last edited:
Love your work Rob, Ollie, the copperhead look pretty good,
the wound could have inflicted on it when it was young,
by a bird of some sort maybe?.
Anyway, here is some footage from tonight at the police station...
[video=youtube;aueDr2DOMVQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aueDr2DOMVQ[/video]

I have to say you always seem to make dealing with tigers easy. Not that I am going to start picking them up in a huury

Here's one that's a little different.

Northern shovel-nosed, Brachyurophis roperi. Some kids gave it to me when they dug it up while they were digging for worm to use as bait.

Photo054.jpg

Photo053.jpg

Photo052.jpg

That is different Gordo, lucky it didn't go fishing with the kids.
Some of the containers that I have recieved snakes in from MOPs have been different to.Last week a guy bought a small copperhead around in a 25 ltr bucket from a building site with glad wrap taped to the top and airholes poked into the plastic.
Bottles,ice buckets, vases, cans, a few years ago a fella bought his vaccum cleaner over thinking he had a snake in,,,was just a shoelace but you know what i mean

Yeah i had a death adder handed to me in a bucket with fly wire taped down as the lid before. And a brown handed to me in a plastic bag...

IMGP3716.jpg

what amazes me is these people are so scared yet they still manage to get thesnake through the mouth of a coke bottle???

I just got back from Frankston where a dog was bitten after it attacked a tigersnake.

A few minutes after being bitten, the dog, a Shi tzu, started vomiting and the went into convultions,
it had been taken to the vet by the time I arrived.

While I was looking for the snake in the jungle of a backyard, the vet rang and said the dog was dead.

The dogs owner tells me that the dog was "great" at catching lizards and I told him that's the reason your dog is dead.

I never got to see the snake as it had escaped the yard or was laying llow or dead from injuries.

Awesome thread guys. Some really nice looking snakes (even though I have no idea what most of them are). I hope you don't mind me hijacking for a minute and asking this here but you guys all seem reasonable and if I make a new thread it will turn into a typical APS war/slinging match.
I got a call the other night from my GF's uncle saying they had some sort of snake in their yard and asking what they should do. He tried to describe it to me saying they thought it was a whip snake but I have no clue when it comes to elapids (turned out to be an EB). I told him to just leave it alone and even go inside for 15 minutes and it would probably be gone when he came back. He didn't seem too happy with that answer but left it at that. I saw him at a family gathering last week and asked him what happened and he proceeded to tell me about how he harassed the snake for about half an hour by throwing rocks at it which make it really mad (who'd have thought!). After it got really fired up and started trying to go him he cut it in half with a shovel and left it. Then when he came back 15 minutes later and it was still trying to go him he cut its head off. Now they live in on a block literally surrounded by bush (Ebenezer for those of you who know the Hawkesbury) and I told him he should expect these things and he really should have just left it alone to go on its way. His response was that he didn't want it to hurt his dogs or his six year old son. So my question is, how do you educate people with this mindset who obviously have no regard for the welfare of the animals or the law? Is it even possible?
Cheers guys.

You tell them that unless you interfere with a snake there is no possible way for it to hurt you and that if he wants to keep his son safe then he needs to be a role model on how to interact with snakes. His son will try to copy him and put himself in a dangerous situation.

Awesome thread guys. Some really nice looking snakes (even though I have no idea what most of them are). I hope you don't mind me hijacking for a minute and asking this here but you guys all seem reasonable and if I make a new thread it will turn into a typical APS war/slinging match.
I got a call the other night from my GF's uncle saying they had some sort of snake in their yard and asking what they should do. He tried to describe it to me saying they thought it was a whip snake but I have no clue when it comes to elapids (turned out to be an EB). I told him to just leave it alone and even go inside for 15 minutes and it would probably be gone when he came back. He didn't seem too happy with that answer but left it at that. I saw him at a family gathering last week and asked him what happened and he proceeded to tell me about how he harassed the snake for about half an hour by throwing rocks at it which make it really mad (who'd have thought!). After it got really fired up and started trying to go him he cut it in half with a shovel and left it. Then when he came back 15 minutes later and it was still trying to go him he cut its head off. Now they live in on a block literally surrounded by bush (Ebenezer for those of you who know the Hawkesbury) and I told him he should expect these things and he really should have just left it alone to go on its way. His response was that he didn't want it to hurt his dogs or his six year old son. So my question is, how do you educate people with this mindset who obviously have no regard for the welfare of the animals or the law? Is it even possible?
Cheers guys.

the day has come my friends,when it is becoming unacceptable to allow this extreme form of cruelty to raise its ugly head,
we have the most beautiful and amazing Herpetofauna in the world,and although some are considered highly venomous,they still account for very very few incidents where humans are harmed by what is very few species.
Our Snakes are the most amazing species and we should be proud to the world of them,but in reality many stupid people choose to harm them and also any other animal species like possums,quolls, and of coarse the most harmed of our national treasures the Kangaroo.

this is a sad storey we see far too often in my job,and there is no excuse for animal cruelty,if it was another type of animal people would want you locked away for first 1 harasing the animal 2 causeing grievous bodly and leaving the animal to suffer 3 finally killing the animal.Then that sends a message to his son that it is ok to do such a thing when the snake did absolutly nothing.
The only real answer if there so concerened is to contact a snake catcher,and have it emoved and id say it would e long gone by the time anyone came in that situation anyway.
I am pushing in my job to have these people charged like you would for any other animal offence,if they had just learned to leave the animal alone there would have been no problems,but stupid people get away with this form of animal cruelty,when in reality there is very very few situations where you can justify having to bludgeon a reptile to death .

Yeah it really surprised me how upset I got actually. I'm not a hippy by any means but all I could think of was that this animal's final hour or two of life was filled with fear and pain.
Thanks for the tip Gordo at least I'll have something to add next time I encounter this kind of thing. It is just so hard because in their minds it's a perfectly reasonable thing to do

So my question is, how do you educate people with this mindset who obviously have no regard for the welfare of the animals or the law? Is it even possible?
Some are lost causes and you shouldn't waste your time or stress out over them.
Hopefully they figure it out on their own, but you cant afford to get stabby every time you meet one of these ignorant a.holes, life is to short and if you can get an environmental message to some people ,
it's better than not getting through to any.
Rob, you're right, this is a sick and horrible act and the worst way for a snake to die, and he is bringing his son up to be the same, hopefully the kid is smarter than the dad.
I would love to see heavier fines but i cant see it happening in the near future.
Good advice Gordo, using the kid to hammer the message but like i said, some of these morons just aren't worth it.

So I was called to this factory in dandenong where the guys had trapped a copperhead in a pvc pipe.
One end against the wall.. and the other end was capped and blocked with a bin.
When I got there there a few workers standing around, leaning on shovels as usual.
Anyway,I moved the bin and tipped the pipe up and gave it a few shakes..
the snake popped out and waited for me to come and save it.
I think it was in the pipe shzziing itself and was happy to get bagged and taken away from there.
pipe221110.jpgpipenov23.JPGcred.JPG

Attachments

• ett.jpg
    ett.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back