Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting given a snakeman in Melbourne claims that you cannot get them in Melbourne area! Nice catch though!

Alright thanks for the advice guys. Sorry again for going a little off topic
Mate what evidence do we have that it was actually an EB? Not saying it wasn't but if you are going by your uncles call its possible he was wrong. Any way, he will have these snakes passing through from time to time, its just a shame that this one lingered so he saw it. Tell him to keep his yard tidy and clean/free of rodents,so if he has chooks, budgies, horses etc lock up their feed in sealed bins and regularly clean the enclosures to keep the rodent population down. If there is no food source, then there will be no snakes hanging around.

I must admit, in 30+ years of catching snakes on this side of town,
I have found hundreds of tigers and copperheads, maybe even 1000s, but in all this time
have only turned up maybe 20 rbb, 3 browns about 20 assorted morelias.
Im yet to be fully convinced the rbb and browns are endemic or translocated animal, but i do like to think that naturally occuring population of rbb are here
The brown I caught earlier this year was gravid so i think this is one way a population could occur

One from the other day after release.

Attachments

• 260420111274.jpg
    260420111274.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 260420111275.jpg
    260420111275.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 260420111279.jpg
    260420111279.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 108
I must admit, in 30+ years of catching snakes on this side of town,
I have found hundreds of tigers and copperheads, maybe even 1000s, but in all this time
have only turned up maybe 20 rbb, 3 browns about 20 assorted morelias.
Im yet to be fully convinced the rbb and browns are endemic or translocated animal, but i do like to think that naturally occuring population of rbb are here
The brown I caught earlier this year was gravid so i think this is one way a population could occur

it is very intersting to note why? why does or doesnt a species occur,climate? food sources? competition with copperheads and tigers that are more suitably adapted ?

One from the other day after release.

Are they just dodgey photo's or does that have no scales on its tail?

it is very intersting to note why? why does or doesnt a species occur,climate? food sources? competition with copperheads and tigers that are more suitably adapted ?

When you work that out can you let me know? Will make my search for a certain snake a bit easier!

So I was called to this factory in dandenong where the guys had trapped a copperhead in a pvc pipe.
One end against the wall.. and the other end was capped and blocked with a bin.
When I got there there a few workers standing around, leaning on shovels as usual.
Anyway,I moved the bin and tipped the pipe up and gave it a few shakes..
the snake popped out and waited for me to come and save it.
I think it was in the pipe shzziing itself and was happy to get bagged and taken away from there.
View attachment 197663View attachment 197664View attachment 197669

Good Job mate. Interesting how the people always arm themselves with a shovel or two.... :-( It's these mindsets and attitudes that I so desire to change in people. Keep educating the public! :)

Yeah its my bad photography. If you look closely you can just make out the modified tail tip scale, sticks almost vertically.
I took this shot because I was speaking to an old retired waterboard worker who used to survey the dams. His take on the mighty death adder was that if you stood on it, it would jam the spike on its tail into your leg to hold you there so it could get a real good bite in! The tail coming up one side of the foot, while the head and fangs (probably absolutely dripping with venom) come up the other.
when i ask if he had ever seen that happen, i got the usual response "well, thats what I was told."

These myths and rumours, get passed around, and its our job to try and correct the situation. rumour mongering is one of my pet hates, whatever the subject.

I got told a similar story out on one of the Crocodile Islands off the Arnhem Land coast. The locals thought that their tail could also 'sting' you along with their bite.

Here is some very average pics of the blacksnake I found in Mornington a few days ag..
Gravid, you think?
rbbv.jpg
The Head Shot
rbbc.jpg
I had paragraphs of text and just lose all of it,,,bugga

Last edited:
Barry, under the permits issued by DSE for catch and release we have to release within a reasonably practical time within 5km of the capture, so why is it that you hold many of your captures for days? Even if a person has a wildlife shelter permit, how does this animal fit into the realms of that permit, it is not injured, and can be found locally, if not shouldn't you have already handed it over to the appropriate people.

People jump up and down about wildlife authorities and what they do, but when people follow the regulations then there is no issue......you do a great job Baz, you have rescued some wonderful animals, but why flaunt the regulations? why push the limits? It is obvious that you are acting beyond the scope of your permit!

Barry, under the permits issued by DSE for catch and release we have to release within a reasonably practical time within 5km of the capture, so why is it that you hold many of your captures for days? Even if a person has a wildlife shelter permit, how does this animal fit into the realms of that permit, it is not injured, and can be found locally, if not shouldn't you have already handed it over to the appropriate people.

People jump up and down about wildlife authorities and what they do, but when people follow the regulations then there is no issue......you do a great job Baz, you have rescued some wonderful animals, but why flaunt the regulations? why push the limits? It is obvious that you are acting beyond the scope of your permit!

While I admit this is not any of my business, do you have to work on your confrontational approach or is it a natural talent?
Unless I am missing something in Barry's post he simply says he found the black snake a few days ago, he may well have released it shortly afterwards, or maybe he didn't but either way it is hardly your place to berate him in the manner you did.

It's simple, I am sick of people who openly violate the rules, putting at risk our rights as reptile lovers......it's deliberate actions such as this that give the reptile community a bad reputation, then people have the audacity to complain (not saying Baz has done this) when the authorities crack down, it's a simple question, why was the animal held? No injury, local, should be released.....if you don't understand the conditions of your permit then read up on them!

There is a crack down at the moment in Victoria, perhaps people should wise up!

Barry didn't say he still had they snake, you did. I can understand your complaints but I think they are directed at the wrong person

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't seem to find the party where Barry flaunts the regulations, am I missing something?

Over the last week conditions were perfect for release, why is it in a tub?

Transport, take a photo, release it later in the day. Since when does something being in a tub mean they still have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simple, condition 4 a wildlife controller permit states that wildlife cannot be kept on premises. To take it home and put it in a tub flaunts this condition, also this is not the first time that it has been done by Barry. This is not designed as an attack on Barry, but a desire for people to start to do the right thing and reduce the pressure on a fragile industry that is currently having a serious review, including permits for catch and release. People need to clearly understand their rights and obligations, read your permit and make sure you understand it. Over the past week the conditions have been perfect for a release, unless prior obligations prevented the release of the snake at the time, then it should have been released on the day, section 8 of the permits also clearly states that it is within 5km of the capture, so even with a prior engagement, with the conditions of the week there is no need for it to be held at all!

As I have said, Baz does a great job, he has done some wonderful jobs around the area and I am fully behind him and think that the service he offers around our area is fabulous, just follow the regs, thats all....there is a serious crack down on the Mornington Peninsula area at the moment, as well as around Victoria, people are being questioned about snakes in their possession, especially venomous snakes as they dont often come up for sale, local species in the possession of licensed wildlife controllers are a target!

Photo was taken on the day of capture..if you got a problem with me just ring me sean im easy to get hold of.
No need to be a w anker all the time.Know all know fk all
I dont flaunt rules and i take exception to you making out like I do.
I am a licenced wildlife refuge and i can keep animals untill i feel they are ready for return to the wild..This snake went to the lost herps home.
It is obvious that you are acting beyond the scope of your permit!
Is it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back