Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vulgarwolf

Reaction score
Long time reader first time poster here,

Woke up this morning to realise that my 5 ft bredli wasnt in his tank, took me a while to search the whole tank with it being 6 ft long and almost 2ft deep and high.

After quitely telling the wife the snake is on the loose and calming her down we started searching, and found him curled up on some trophies right next to his tank.

Picked the little bugger up and put him back to the warmth of his tank where he seems to be pacing back and forth looking to get out again, He hasnt been feeding much lately, wasted 2 large adult rats on him, then saw the local pet shop is closing down so i stocked up on rats and even purchased a few live mice to try enticing him to feed.

He certainly did enjoy the live mouse, and watching mother nature at her finest was interesting to watch

hey, welcome to the site. good that he didnt get too far. did you find how he got out, he may have been looking around for the same opening....? try not o feed too many live animals as they can do lots of damage to him.

that local pet shop wouldnt happen to be the one in hornsby by any chance would it?

put the cage on a plane, and make a movie, its almost crap enough to work, and put somelike samuel jackson in it, and i want my name to flicker quickely throughout the movie,

If you give him live and if he doesnt kill it betime he starts to eat it, the rat or mice could bite him in the mouth and you wont realise it to it gets swollen and it can get infected and may kill your snake so i would stick to frozen then defrosted mice or rats.

on a worse note about live feeding. i just read someone elses story about their friend leaving a live rat in with a coastal while he went away! the rat killed and ate half of the python! sorry for hijacking ur story but i think its an important message. make sure u watch wat the live food does until its been killed and eaten!

Sorry

on a worse note about live feeding. i just read someone elses story about their friend leaving a live rat in with a coastal while he went away! the rat killed and ate half of the python! sorry for hijacking ur story but i think its an important message. make sure u watch wat the live food does until its been killed and eaten!

I would'nt be sorry TOMatoPASTE. I actually think it's illegal to give your your snake live mice or rats. You learn something new every day:rolleyes:

I would not even attempt to feed live prey to a snake due to the damage it can do when cornered. There was a pciture posted on here a while back of a snake that had bitten through to the brain (YES IT WAS DEAD). and virtually half of the flesh stripped from it.

IMO it should never be done. A frozen rat cost's $4.00 or so. A mouse costs $1.00. Why would you risk giving live prey to an animal that would be probably worth $200 at the minimum.:?

hey shamous. good point, almost forgot there are actually laws against live food! :? u have any idea where that pic mite be...? i think there needs to be sum graphic stories and pics to show what can actually happen (like the smokers campaigns at the mo :))

I'll try and find it. Can't remember who posted it last time but it may have been MrSpike.

Pics - Do not show kids

These are not the pics I was looking for but I hope you get the idea people's.

They are pretty gruesome. Some of them the snakes survived and well unfortunately, it's pretty obvious they did not.

Attachments

• 7be6132a.jpg
    7be6132a.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 9e3d6685.jpg
    9e3d6685.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 121
  • 9efc80a5.jpg
    9efc80a5.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 120
  • bite1.jpg
    bite1.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 122
  • bite2.jpg
    bite2.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 121
More

And some more.

Attachments

• bite3.jpg
    bite3.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 107
  • c96f664f.jpg
    c96f664f.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 106
  • dsc01614_large.jpg
    dsc01614_large.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 115
  • Soyola4.jpg
    Soyola4.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Soyola9.jpg
    Soyola9.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 112
More

And some more. Not nice what can happen to your prized possesions. Is it.

Don't let PInhead get mad.

Attachments

• web_P1010037.jpg
    web_P1010037.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 124
  • web_P1010042.jpg
    web_P1010042.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 109
  • dougbradley.jpg
    dougbradley.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 103
I have found that my liasis fuscus (2.5yr old ffemale) is quite a voracious eater, but will just ignore any defrosted rats unless she's ridiculously hungry. I ave found that fresh killed food does well, a quick severance of the spinal cord, and the squeeky furry stinky little thing is ready to be gobbled. Never any refusals with the fresh killed feeders.

Anyone got any ideas as to why she's reluctant to eat thawed??

Now I will probably get riduculed by some here for giving advice when I am a noob myself. By maybe just a little suggetsion and it might help ya.
Personally I put the frozen mouse in a little snap-lock bag and then submerge in a bowl of hottest tap water. I replace the water about 3-4 times as it cools to really warm the mouse up above ambient, then take it out and provide a little mouse activity in the enclosure then just dangle in front of my little girl - she senses it really quick quite early and hits it big time.
Even last night and she is comming up to shed as her eyes are cloudy, but she still wanted a bit of mouse action and had no trouble finding it, although she fumbled around finding the head for a while.
Live mice apparently have body temp pretty much at ambient, 25 deg or so, but hey this seems to work.
Just a thought, hope you get it sussed. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back