Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually introduce the rat to the back path at high velocity and then introduce it to the snake who appreciates the muscle spasms and nerve twitches. Sounds gross but my two coastals prefer freshly killed to frozen, will take both but sudden death is human as far as I am concerned! so why stuff around with the whole defrosting thing if there is a good supply of freshly killed.
Davo

davo, im with you on that one. Plus i dont really desire a large water python mistaking my hand for mr rattus.

the spasms seem to make her much faster to react and strike/constrict.

I purchased a diamond python a couple of months ago and was guaranteed that it would only eat live food. So I let him stew over that for a month and then offered him a frozen one (thawed, of course). Of course, he happily ate it. I think the problem had been that the previous owner had been feeding him too often and he was just being fussy.

And like you Kiwicam I defrost mine in hot water. I used to put them in a bag but now I just throw the mice/rats into hot water (as hot as the tap allows) and they warm up in a matter of minutes. This still lets the mouse have a heat emission that will help with heat seeking pythons. Give some movement along with a heat signal and most pythons will be fine with it.

Of course, there is absolutely no issue with freshly killed either. So long as you regularly worm your snakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back