Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Wrasse
This is Australia - NOT an Asian market place
Betcha no true blue ozzie would knowingly eat dog meat
Sandee :)

Hey Wrasse
This is Australia - NOT an Asian market place
Betcha no true blue ozzie would knowingly eat dog meat
Sandee :)

And I am telling you, they do. A close friend has a lot to do with the asian community here and yes, they do eat some amazing stuff, as do the people that associate with them. You can't blindly say they don't. You can simply say, you haven't seen it happen.

Boiled half formed duck embryo's in the egg, rats on the BBQ and dog meat are on the menu here in Australia. And that's only what I know about, I imagine there is a heap of other stuff.

:shock:

Being a cat owner, I would never contemplate feeding a cat to a snake. Rodents are classed as vermin, cats domestic pets. Also the life expectancy of a rat is about 2 years and a cat over a decade (I don't know where I'm going here) so it seems a pity to kill an animal that might live for over a decade.

Also the life expectancy of a rat is about 2 years and a cat over a decade (I don't know where I'm going here) so it seems a pity to kill an animal that might live for over a decade.

Do you eat Cows? Pigs?
Their life span is about 20-25 years.

Being a cat owner, I would never contemplate feeding a cat to a snake. Rodents are classed as vermin, cats domestic pets. Also the life expectancy of a rat is about 2 years and a cat over a decade (I don't know where I'm going here) so it seems a pity to kill an animal that might live for over a decade.

wild cats are ALSO classed as vermin ;)

wild cats are ALSO classed as vermin ;)

Good point Recharge. I wouldn't hesitate killing an adult feral cat (I've done it several times already) but if I were to find kittens, I'd probably think twice about feeding them to snakes. It's strange, when I was a teenager and a young adult I would go shooting and wouldn't think twice about killing an animal. As I got older, I would go out with my mates and would only fire my rifle once or twice in a night. I refused to shoot unless I was dead certain my shot would be a kill shot. Now I'm an old fella, I find it hard to kill insects without feeling guilt :oops: Getting back to the feral cats, if the kittens were feral and had no chance of being resettled, I wouldn't harbour bad feeling against anyone who fed them to their snakes.

re feeding

I wonder if i can get meself put down at a vet for the price of a cat,sounds quick easy,maybe they charge on weight like a big person is equivalent to twenty bloody cats! :)

Last edited:
you cannot compare rats to cats, theres no comparison. I owned rats and they were like little people,!
:lol: LOL, we cant compare rats to cats, but we can compare them to humans.... Rat and Cat sound similar, that's close enough for me.:lol:

why exactly can't we compare rats to cats? I dare say rat owners would argue quite viciously with you on that matter.

I reckon if they're killed humanely, you can feed anything to a snake. This whole "cats are evil and they all kill wildlife" is a gross over simplification. Foxes and rabbits are responsible for more extinctions than cats are. Feed foxes and rabbits to snakes if anything. I've got a cat, he runs around outside all the time, but he's never once brought something home. I also see dogs running around everywhere. My mate has a poodley type thing that's confined to a yard, and i went over there once and there were lots and lots of half bluies lying around.

There is no difference in the value of a life of a mouse, a rat, a cat, a dog, a fish, a cow or a chicken. However none of them should be killed merciless. The key line here is what purpose they are being bred for.

I would not kill a fancy rat, nor I would kill a domesticated cat or dog; I would not kill a display fish or a hobby roach. Someone's pet chicken or goat also applies here. However, I could care less if they are being raised as food items or are feral. Wildlife should also recieve protection from humans as well, unless their population are unnaturally exploding and cannot be managed by the local predators.

What we are talking about here is completely different though, some are being raised for the sole purpose of feeding people and animals, while others are raised to be a hobbyist's collector specimen or a pet.

I have personally fed a still born kitten to a large bredli.

As for other cats, if they're killed humanely don't see a problem.

I would also like to add, since I cannot edit my post at the moment, that I have two animals. One is a cat that harmless and just like to observe things, and the other is a dog that pretty much kill everything that move -- mice, bugs, fish, birds, etc. So don't treat cats as vermins without giving the same treatment to dogs since a lot of them are like that as well.

Hell, my dog once nailed a flying Robin in midair. Of course, he got into deep trouble for that.

I've got a cat, he runs around outside all the time, but he's never once brought something home.

typical cat owners view!!!

"he hasnt brought anything home so he must never kill anything..."

pfft....

I love threads like this.
The pro-cat feeders are pointing out the facts.
The anti-cat feeders are going on about how we are trying to kill peoples pets??? WTH????
The question was, what do you think about feeding cats to snakes, not do you go and grab peoples pet cats to feed to your snakes?
I know chicken owners who are devestated to know that we feed chickens to our reptiles.
Just because you own a cat does not make them superior to other animals, likewise with dogs, hamsters etc.

when we used to have a cat we used to find dead birds all around the place, if u let it wander around at night its not goin to stay in your yard, thats probably why some people think there cat never kills anything, but they just dont kill anything in that yard. its natural instinct for cats to kill, even if u dont think yours will.

Let me ask you people this. Would you feed central blue tongues and pygmy bearded dragons, and knobtail geckos to your snake? Didnt think so. Just because some sickos out there eat cats and dogs.. doesnt mean we have to, nor our snakes. No true blue aussie would. So honestly get your minds out the gutter please people, cats are friends/pets, not food.

when we used to have a cat we used to find dead birds all around the place, if u let it wander around at night its not goin to stay in your yard, thats probably why some people think there cat never kills anything, but they just dont kill anything in that yard. its natural instinct for cats to kill, even if u dont think yours will.

Dogs do too, my dogs kill frogs all the time. My parrot catches skinks and butterflys. Its also natural for snakes to kill too! I bet if a big coastal came up and ate your neighbours little puppy, and they went to shoot it/trap it/feed it to their own pet snake, youd kick up a huge stink. Same principal!

Let me ask you people this. Would you feed central blue tongues and pygmy bearded dragons, and knobtail geckos to your snake? Didnt think so. Just because some sickos out there eat cats and dogs.. doesnt mean we have to, nor our snakes. No true blue aussie would. So honestly get your minds out the gutter please people, cats are friends/pets, not food.
I have, i do and will continue to use deceased animals to feed to others. The general scope of the thread has not about stealing your nieghbours cat, its about utilizing euthanased animals for something other than worm food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back