Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great to hear you are all having a great time working in all these animal parks. Nothing beats the hands on experience with a variety of animals. Just a question - did any of these parks raise any concerns over volounteers and the parks public liability if god forbid something happened to you. I know of one park up here in FNQ that is not that eager to take on volounteers for that very reason.
Rina

Third Day:
Fed the giant tortises
Fed the boa constrictor, and its babys
Fed the BHP
Fed the Bredli's (drew a huge crowd)
Fed the chamelon

Just a whole lot of feeding really..

sounds absolutely awesome, i hope to do some volunteer work soon.

Rina: I had to sign something about that when I first started. For a while you dont do much husbandry stuff at all, a lot of standing back and watching, but as the keepers see you are eager and keen, and know the ropes you start to do all the cool stuff, I am never allowed to enter a room unsupervised with a venemous snake, or any dangerous species (such as a 5m Oenpelli or 2m Mertens Water Monitor). So it is pretty safe, but if you fall and break a leg or something, I ASSUME (not sure) that you have the same rights as a member of the public. I will find out for sure next time I go there. I for one, no matter what happens will sue the park or any of its staff because they have done so much for me, and I have medicare :D

id their oenpelli 5m? it looked smaller

whats the best thing you handled there?

I got to handle some nice diamonds, carpet python, shinglebacks, baby boa constrictors and their mum. They were all really great snakes, great temperament!

Yep, nothing like exploiting young kids who will do it for free rather than employing someone.

Sorry for being cynical but I know a few people that have done uni courses and really love reptiles but can not find a job in the industry for exactly this reason.
Not having a go at Ether doing work experience at TWP, that's a completely different thing.

I didnt think there was any oenpellis in captivity due to them being found on Aboriginal land which doesnt allow collection. Are they bred in captivity up there? Available to keepers?

AT TWP greebo kids arent being exploited, they have several offers for volunteers per week and I am currently the only volunteer. There are 3 employee's at reptiles working on a rotating basis, between reptiles and noc house. One person is enough to maintain all the reptiles, yet they still have 3 employee's. Until you get any experience you dont do anything really except stand back and watch (you may feed the occasional animal), this is all I did for 3months, so I cant see how it is exploitation. However I think it might be a different story at larger institutions, where they need more keepers.

Tommo: They are a very slender snake so look no where near as long as they actually are.

There are currently 3 Oenpellis at TWP and they are all females, a permit for a male is currently being organised I believe. They will never be available to private keepers from TWP, some lucky bugger might eventually get a permit for them though, but that is only half the battle, would take about a month to find a pair. Just because they are on aboriginal land doesnt mean they are un-collectable, just give them enough money and you can do anything you want. I dont think this is what happened when the park organised a collection permit for the male though.

The current 3 were being held illegally by a private keeper, and were siezed during a raid.
Sorry for the late reply
Cheers

its actually Taronga Wildlife Park, but you were close.

ive been fefering to the territory wildlife park as TWP

damn, wrong again :oops: I just took a guess because Taronga is where ether was doing Work XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back