Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyAlker

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Well i live in QLD and i am planning to buy a pet snake in the next month or two. I just have a few questions:
1. Where in Qld or Australia is the best place to buy a snake?
2. Would a jungle carpet python be a good snake to start with, is size the only issue? (Out of all the snakes i've researched i like this one the best)
3. What tank size would be the best? Can i just buy one for an adult snake and put a baby snake in there, or will it get frightened?
I would love to own a green tree python but i understand a couple of years experience is needed first. I really don't want to get a children's python or a pygmy python.
I have loved snakes all my life but i have been unable to have one as a pet because my family never allowed it.
Any information or first hand experience would be great, thanks.

Well i live in QLD and i am planning to buy a pet snake in the next month or two. I just have a few questions:
1. Where in Qld or Australia is the best place to buy a snake?
2. Would a jungle carpet python be a good snake to start with, is size the only issue? (Out of all the snakes i've researched i like this one the best)
3. What tank size would be the best? Can i just buy one for an adult snake and put a baby snake in there, or will it get frightened?
I would love to own a green tree python but i understand a couple of years experience is needed first. I really don't want to get a children's python or a pygmy python.
I have loved snakes all my life but i have been unable to have one as a pet because my family never allowed it.
Any information or first hand experience would be great, thanks.

first off i dont think there is any place better then others to buy snake like there are breeders you can go looking for and pet shops but you should be able to get a snake in your state fairly easily secondly a jungle carpet is a good snake if you dont mind getting bitten a few times and yes you could buy an adult enclosure but you couldnt keep it in there as sson as you get it because they like to feel secure and a adult enclosure would be handy when they out grow the click clack they should be in for probabaly 12 months of there life but you could go the expensive option and upgrade there tanks when they out grow them have you looked at a bredli

yeah if u look on this site in the for sale section im sure you will find some one selling jungles in ur area. or you could try a site like Ultimate Reptile Supplies or Southern Cross Reptiles, they are both in South Australia but for $50 freight to ur airport and $20 for an import liscence its super easy.

One thing to know is that jungles are known to be a little snappy. i mean if u get it from a hatchy a bit will not hurt and u can handle it and get used to it. but i know biting can put you off... it is a little scary.

there are plenty of awesome pythons out there. jungles look awesome. and as for green tree pythons... well if u have a handy $5000 - $15000 bucks go ahead and get one lol.

have a look in the gallery too to see what some other pythons look like. diamonds are awesome!!

bredli are beautiful!!
Chris -So that's what your Bredl looks like! I took mine to CJs to show off yesterday and we were discussing what a nice temperament your snake has. My Bredls are just babies, but are also great. The male snapped a bit at first, but settled down after a month.

Snakelover - Bredls are great first snakes (if you want a medium/large snake) and won't set you back too much $ like a GTP. Plenty of good breeders out there. See who has some for sale and then see what is said about them in the positive feedback on this site. Lots of recent threads show people's hatchlings. I got mine from Snake Ranch because they are relatively near me and ran a great promotion. Southern Cross and URS are very well-respected businesses and sponsors. On top of that, lots of members breed and sell Bredls. Plenty to choose from!

I agree - I 'm getting my first Bredli next week!

Your getting another snake Jess !
Good on ya ;) How is your lil stimmie going ?
Ours is doing just great , growing fast lol , might look into getting a female stimmie next season - yes we're getting addicted too lol

Is your new one a hatchie ?

Cheers Jackie

Chris -So that's what your Bredl looks like! I took mine to CJs to show off yesterday and we were discussing what a nice temperament your snake has. My Bredls are just babies, but are also great. The male snapped a bit at first, but settled down after a month.

Yep, thats my beautiful boy, hes the most placid thing in the world!! :)

Glad ur bubs are settling down, i'm still waiting for Lokis girlfriend to arrive, i'm already nervous cos i remember how snappy he was as a baby!!

I dont know what to get anymore lol jungles are beautiful but from what ive read they can either be easy to handle or they dont like being handled and can be agressive. green tree python is definately something i will hope to get down the track :) I am now deciding whether or not to get a Stimpson or a Bredli. I am worried i'll get scared of a bigger snake and i wont be able to handle it. No one i know owns snakes or even likes snakes!!!

hey, yes i got it. thank you so much for that. i have no idea what im going to decide on any more lol. its very exciting but! :D

If you want to get a green tree python (once you have the money and experience), have a good look at this site: www.finegtps.com. Or you could read "The Complete Chondro", by Greg Maxwell. Both site and book are by the same person, but they're very interesting and informative.

Go with whatever you feel like getting. If you want a jungle, then get it. Just do research before actually get anything- that's the best thing to do.

~ notechistiger.

I dont know what to get anymore lol jungles are beautiful but from what ive read they can either be easy to handle or they dont like being handled and can be agressive. green tree python is definately something i will hope to get down the track :) I am now deciding whether or not to get a Stimpson or a Bredli. I am worried i'll get scared of a bigger snake and i wont be able to handle it. No one i know owns snakes or even likes snakes!!!
Good luck with your choices. You might feel more comfortable handling a yearling or adult Stimson because they are very small as hatchlings. Mine is one of the world's most mellow snakes. She has never even considered biting anything except her dinner.

See if you can go to a herp society meeting somewhere near home. If you contact them ahead of time, someone might be able to bring a snake for you to handle. The meeting will also be a great source of information and contacts for you. We did this before getting our first snake and it was most helpful.

Snakelover..... I have 3 Brissie Coastals.... And a Atherton.... If you would like to make contact with me via PM.... I am happy to arrange a time for a meet, and you can handle one of mine.....

They are all about 3 yrs of age...And about 4-5 ft long.....

Let me know.... Up to you......

dont be put of buy what people say about jungles yes they are notoriousley snappy but you say you are getting a baby and a pinch is more painfull my jungle was 2 yrs old when i got it and the shop named her Psycho Princess if that dosent tell you the nature then nothing will but my point is put up with the pain and you will be rewarded with one of the best looking snakes on the market

PERIOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back