Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its quite stupid to freehandle venomous snakes!!! I have done its once because i am such a brave hard A55!!!
DSC00225.jpg

sorry to highjack the thread but how old is the pic? has the RBBS grown much since it was taken

sorry to highjack the thread but how old is the pic? has the RBBS grown much since it was taken

Unfortunaly he died!!! the photo would be about 10months (guess) old. I would still love to get another RBBS one day!!! sigh!!!

what is the the better species to handle for a virgin

Can I just ask why you seem to feel the need to free handle venemous snakes??
I love the fact that most people who seem to make a habit of it also seem very keen to have their pictures taken in the process, or do it in front of a crowd. All is it is someone trying to show off or make up for something else they are obviously lacking. There's no secret to it, most elapids do become very placid in captivity. Nothing justifies the risk, so say it's less stressful to a snake to be free handled than using a hook is complete rubbish.

Unfortunaly he died!!! the photo would be about 10months (guess) old. I would still love to get another RBBS one day!!! sigh!!!

Do you know the breeder you got it from. It's fave looked like it was going to come up really red. I'd like to get some RBBS wtih red/orange faces

I love the fact that most people who seem to make a habit of it also seem very keen to have their pictures taken in the process, or do it in front of a crowd. All is it is someone trying to show off or make up for something else they are obviously lacking. There's no secret to it, most elapids do become very placid in captivity. Nothing justifies the risk, so say it's less stressful to a snake to be free handled than using a hook is complete rubbish.

I agree, it is quite stupid!!! I dont care if you get bitten but i do care when its my tax dollars paying for your care afterwards!!! I know this sounds stupid when i took a photo of myself doing so!!

I agree, it is quite stupid!!! I dont care if you get bitten but i do care when its my tax dollars paying for your care afterwards!!! I know this sounds stupid when i took a photo of myself doing so!!

its not the tax dollars that i care about as my tax dollars go to a lot of other thing that i think are not on so one more wont hurt.

the thing i care about is the BAD rap the reptiles get and the pepole that use it to try and stop us keeping them at home.....jmo.

its not the tax dollars that i care about as my tax dollars go to a lot of other thing that i think are not on so one more wont hurt.

the thing i care about is the BAD rap the reptiles get and the pepole that use it to try and stop us keeping them at home.....jmo.

good point!!!!

type ten deadliest snakes into youtube, shows steve irwin free handling the 10 most deadly snakes in australia, it is very good, there are three parts, each about 8-9 minuites i think. well worth a look, i think the series was on animal planet or something like that a while ago.

r.i.p. steve

splitmore i dont have a penis complex,there were no people in sight when i caught almost all of my elapids. i cant explain why i want to free handle elapids but it has nothing to do with bad boy syndrome, hosers illness..................... i mean posers illness

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont touch them myself Splitmore, but is it possible it's just like some people like surfing giant waves, climbing mountains,racing cars/bikes, or playing with big cats etc? Why does it freak people out so much and create opinions such as yours? Not having a go at you, just asking a question.

There are a lot of tossers and triehards who get Elapids and try to impress people and usually like to take a heap of photos to circulate around. Most of them get one good bite and sell all their elapids and go back to pythons.But the few real Elapid men around the place who go about their business without creating a fuss should be admired in my opinion.

Its a hard one the whole free handling debate.

Yes its not necasary, but people have the right to do what they want (providing not breaking the law).

Free handling is frowned upon by lots of herpers, the same way free soloing is frowned upon by many climbers.

Checkout this vid of Dan Osman free soloing YouTube - Dan Osman - No ropes, sin cuerdas=

Dan osman is now dead, there are risks and as long as you fully understand the risks, then its up to the individual.

R.I.P Dan osman

So true Donkey. But why exactly is it frowned upon? The usual answer is because it brings negative publicity upon the industry. I'm not so sure. A mate of mine handles dangerous snakes on a daily basis and has been bitten a number of times. On all occasions he went to hospital with no fuss, spent considerable time in intensive care and returned home. Only close friends knew what actually happened, apart from one occasion when the Sunday Telegraph got wind of it through the police. He refused any interviews and it was quickly forgotton.He has never caused any negative publicity towards the "industry". And for the people who talk about tax payers money, the offspring of his animals actually contribute venom to the production of anti-venom. I just think a lot of peoples opinions would change if they saw people like this doing their thing. I'm not talking about blokes like Bob getting up in front of a crowd trying to show off.

If you don't want to freehandle then don't, but if somebody else does then that's their business. To suggest that it is some sort of macho penis envy thing or simply showing off is ridiculous. I think most of those that freehandle do it in the privacy of their own home and any pics they might have very rarely turn up on the forums simply because of the anti-freehandling bias on most sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back