Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Best quote on the ld50 ever

"The idea of the LD50 (and many similar tests) is that we can accurately extrapolate from non-human species to the human species. But the fact is, we cannot even make crude extrapolations between similar species. We cannot even make reliable extrapolations between different strains of the same species."

The LD50 Test--A Failure of Extreme, but Measurable, Proportions

Hate to bump this thread...but I found this on MSN...and its just to much..As soon as I saw "The Top 10 Most Venomous Snakes in the World" in ridiculous bold print I new it was going to be horrible...and it was...Funny how they say toxicity is judged on ld50 values in mice but then they don't even use the damn test...What a bunch of morons...they explain the test but then they don't even use the results from the test...They just put 10 australian snakes in the top 10...The source is "Australian Venom Research Unit" so I guess I blame the Australians...but Christ can MSN actullay fact check once and a while? The media should be banned from talking about snakes/animals in general...they are to stupid

The cooperhead top 10 most venomous snake in the world:shock::shock: Are they even serious??

Here is the video...
10 Most Venomous Snakes - Bing Videos

Note to the Australian Venom Non Research Unit....This is the damn list...Stop trying to exaggerate your native snakes or whatever because you think it makes Australia seem uniquely special or dangerous...It doesn't and regardless of your "expertise on the issue" your bias restricts your credibility.

Here is the list( for under the skin bites) and like I have said earlier their are quite a few snakes that are completely missing from the list that are from Africa and Asia...Particularly many types of Land Kraits, many types of Cobras,the Boomslang etc are missing from the list and have not been given ld50 mice values...So it is only a limited list and if you factor in all the missing types of cobras, kraits and others..Australia would definitely have less( and probably much less) snakes in the top 1-25...

LD50 - subcutaneous

Last edited:
Unlike yourself the AVRU is involved in venom research that saves lives. While you waffle they get results. Wonderful talk from David Williams presented this fact only the other evening. I guess lists for teenagers isn't a high priority for them.

Unlike yourself the AVRU is involved in venom research that saves lives. While you waffle they get results. Wonderful talk from David Williams presented this fact only the other evening. I guess lists for teenagers isn't a high priority for them.
LOL BURN! mmafan555... :)

1106514-cool_story_bro_super.jpg

I just noticed that Gordo started this thread. What an epic!

Last edited:
Wow! This was one sleeping dog that should have been left to lie.
Although some interesting discussion came of it, I reckon that we should let this one go.

Good grief! Let's not feed the troll people.
It seems appropriate that you should have the last word Gordo :)
...something like The End or Discussion Closed would be good.

He reminds me of Team America: world police. America **** yeah.
Our rattle snakes will kill your wimpy taipans. Hehehe let it go mate.
Australian reptiles are way cooler :p

America has nothing unique compared to Australia. We have mammals that lay eggs. Top that for unique :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back