Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charmaine23

Reaction score
Hi I'm charmaine and I'm new here.

I turned 20 yesterday and my mum agreed to my fiancée getting me a pet snake. We already applied for a license so were just waiting for that to go through and we'll be all set.

The question now, what do you think is the best kind of snake to start off with? Easy to maintain and prefect for beginners like me. Also, where is the best place to get them? I'm new at this so I'll be needing all the help I can get to start off!

Thanks in advance guys!

The best snake to get is the one that you like the best :D. As long as 1) you can afford the room to house it and be comfortable with its size and 2) its available for your appropriate license, then all are fine to start with. All the pythons available to beginners are very basic to care for.

Best place to get one is to find a reputable breeder close to you who will be happy to help with any follow up care.

I had a Stimson python to begin with. I still think Stimmies and Children's are the best to start with despite that view being torn to sheds on many threads. Check the thread in DIY for how to set up a click clack if you're getting a hatchie, which is the best idea if you're worried about their size intimidating you. You grow together and build trust.
Snakes are as different as people, some don't like being handled, some are defensive of their enclosures, some will bite you and others are like big affectionate noodles.
Just a tip for using the forum- if you read the stickys you may find most of your questions answered, especially in the advice for first timers thread (or something along those lines). A lot of experienced keepers get tired of answering the same questions all the time so if you search you'll find a lot of answers for your questions.
Good luck and don't forget to show pics!

Hi I'm charmaine and I'm new here.

I turned 20 yesterday and my mum agreed to my fiancée getting me a pet snake. We already applied for a license so were just waiting for that to go through and we'll be all set.

The question now, what do you think is the best kind of snake to start off with? Easy to maintain and prefect for beginners like me. Also, where is the best place to get them? I'm new at this so I'll be needing all the help I can get to start off!

Thanks in advance guys!
welcome , the first thing you have to remember is - its not IF ill get tagged/ a bite , its WHEN . some snakes tolerate being handled more then others - do research then more research , then do a little more BEFORE buying any reptile . :)

welcome , the first thing you have to remember is - its not IF ill get tagged/ a bite , its WHEN . some snakes tolerate being handled more then others - do research then more research , then do a little more BEFORE buying any reptile . :)
Very true it's definitely a case of when you get bitten. Just hike its when they are small. I have been lucky haven't copped a bite for about 1 1/2 yrs ago, a lot of close ones though lol. Small snakes don't hurt but larger pythons can to a descent job.

Most snakes grow out of it.

Are you wanting a large or a small python. Everyone is biased towards what the best beginner snake is, for me it's a Darwin. For others they will say a Stimson, woma, murray darling or Bredli. It's up to you pick one you like then research as much as possible. Snakes are easy to keep provided you invest in good quality equipment.

If your getting a hatchy look at this thread http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/diy-zone-5392/guide-build-click-clack-dial-93266/

Cheers Daniel

My first snake was a Jungle Carpet, "Stevie" - big mistake on my behalf. They are beautiful, but I was after something I could hold without being bitten. Needless to say, I sold Stevie and purchased a little stimson python. I have had him for almost 2 and a half years. He didn't eat for some time during winter and is not as big as he probably should be, but over 2 and a half years, I have only been bitten once, and it was completely my fault.

I agree with everybody else. You should choose whatever snake you like, but accept the fact that it may not be as easily handled as some others. I would just do alot of research and go to see the snake before you purchase it - this way you see the animal in the flesh and may get a chance to hold it, therefore getting an idea of what his/her temperment is like. :) that's what I have done with the majority of my snakes :)

Hi Charmaine, welcome to the forum and congrats on being able to get a python! Very cool =)

When picking a snake, the first criteria you should be concerned about it size; what is the max length you want your snake to be? You not only have to consider handling (large snakes can be quite tricky to manage), but also enclosure (length or height needs to be 2/3rd the length of the snake so bigger snake equals bigger enclosure) and where it's going in house (is there room?) and food (big snakes have big meals), which are more expensive.
Snake length can go from a few feet (antaresia group) to approx. 6 metres (Scrubby) or 20kg (olives) so do your research!

After you have a size limit, pretty much go for what you like the looks of! As others have said, husbandry is pretty simple as long as you've done your research and have bought decent equipment. On that note, the green tree python, as pretty as it is, isn't usually recommended for beginners as they are a bit more difficult to keep.

You'll find that some people recommend certain pythons based on their placid nature. While this is usually a good generalisation, it comes down to the individual snake. I've encountered beautifully behaved jungles, scrubbies and waters, while dodging bites from stroppy Murray Darlings and diamonds. Pick what species you like, and worry about temperament later.

Let us know what size you're looking for, and we can help a bit more with what python to get!

Also this is your first snake. It wont be your last, garanteed.

Hi Charmaine and firstly happy birthday there Is no right answer for what you ask whatever python you feel comfortable with always do lots of readind and keep in mind all snakes will be calm given the right amount of handling some grow to only a metre like the stimmies,chrildreni some grow to become 3/4 metres long so all depends on you

I'm getting a woma for my first snake there mostly calm docile snakes and get to a reasonable size too

I was wondering the same last few weeks... and it's all here, in this nicely put PDF.
http://www.southernxreptiles.com/Article PDFs/road_testing_lr.pdf

From Womas $$$, Inlands $-$, or any of the Childrens $, choose your colour/pattern and dive in!

Let us know what you got. - I'm still deciding myself...
good luck.

P.S. (I was looking for a Stimsons from WA for my little boy and they are $$$$ + freight + export tax $200, so it's cheaper to get locally, even if you go for a Woma!!)

My first snake was a Jungle Carpet, "Stevie" - big mistake on my behalf. They are beautiful, but I was after something I could hold without being bitten. Needless to say, I sold Stevie

........and I have a Jungle that has tagged me once (day 1) and never since. Handled several times a week and is an absolute pleasure. I am kinda glad I didn't listen to everyone telling me not to get one, as I just adore Moose (I did my research and bought from a breeder who had success with more placid Jungles and that worked in my favour)

So maybe Charmaine before purchasing your first snake, ask the breeder to have a handle (even handle a few of the ones they have) and see if you are confortable with them, as different pythons have different characteristics... Jungles are more "Zoomy" and move faster, than say a Stimsons or Bredli.

I personally agree with the statement StellaDoore made in relation to seeing what you can provide an adult python in the way of space (for maximum enclosure size) and go from there :)

Happy Birthday and welcome to APS, I have learned a lot from reading posts on this forum :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back