Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I havent had the pleasure of handling snakes before,so i dont know anything about handling them ...... but I read a paper on Southern Cross Reptiles Website ( I think thats the name) And one of the ways the Doc said was to put a rag over their head so they cant strikeand then pick up the snake... this was for an aggitated snake thou, so probably not recommended just to get him out of the encloser but handy if u get him out and something happens and u cant get him back in..... Check out the website(Southern Cross Reptiles) I found it really helpful and educating.

Apparently closing your eyes when you think they might strike is good - you avoid the pull-away reaction because you don't see it coming. It it is only small, then it shouldn't hurt too much, and it will slowly acclimatise you to being bitten.

On the other hand - if you are worried about being bitten, was a jungle the best snake to get????

hey luke i know how you feel, i got 2 from Steve and the male is so aggressive!! once you take that first bite all the fear goes away! but your gonna have to learn to take a hit!!

I specifically train them to go for the throat :D

Just cover it with your flat hand as stated above. Then scoop it up. Just do it man !!!!

mine is snappy and i just got told to take it like a man...so i did...he bites me at least 10 times when i hold him but he is calming right down now...mine has part jungle in him and i just hold him for about 20-30 min a day and he is quite tame now...good luck anyway and hope he calms down for you

Dude seriously youre 23 just pick the thing up. Heh its just like ripping a band aid off just do it a do it quick before you get even more scared

Crush

i like the band aid theory....
im just gonna have a go tonight when i get home......the stupid part is, i know it doesnt hurt, its the speed and shock value of it all..
and if he keeps it up too much ill bite him back and see how he likes it...lol

As the others have said Luke it dosent hurt at all, but its a bit of a shock and once you have been bitten a few times you will realise its not that bad!!;) My Bredli bit me once 10 times in a 15 min period last week bit i didnt put him back till he calmed down and let him bite me without me pulling away and i just said to myself "Go on bite me i dont care"!!!!. I have been handling him heaps leately and he hasnt had a snap at me in 5 days and i can tell hes calming down all the time. The more handling they get as hatchlings and juveniles the better they will be as they get older :D. Just go for it mate its all good and let us know how you get on!!!

Cheers Paul.

im going to get my self a big straw on the way home tonight, and suck it right up and just dive right in.....
i know its only a mentle thing, im pretty heavily tattooed and its not even close to a tatt.......
i been telling myself all afternoon, "i can do this"

i totally domminated the little bugger today...well not really, i was shaking like a leaf, but i got him out and handled him for a bout five minutes today

hehe, congrats!!! :)

dont worry, i'm getting a new hatchy bredli in about a month and i'm sure i'm gonna be crapping myself too. :)
my 2 year old hasnt snapped @ me for about 18 months so its like being a beginner all over again!

A friends baby childreni the size of a worm had a go @ me the other day and i jumped,...i'm so pathetic,..! :)

Hey Luke! hehe yes they can be a little over whelming what i don't get is why get such a knarky snake for your 1st LOL it's like you went for the evil ones (jungles) strait away LOL. At the end of the day ..If you can't get over your fear sell the snake and try with a more placid species. I had a coastal when i first started with snakes and he was horrible! so instead of me hardly handling him and not giving him the attention he needed i sold him to a bloke who knew how to deal with all the agro (the coastal was 6ft). I think sometimes we just get so caught up in the hobby we sometimes jump in without thinking 100% blinded by the attraction... the frightened by the reality. I have 1 snake now Hercules the gorgeous woma and since having just him, he has given me a new confidence and made me a much better snake handler..no more shakes and sweats hehehe. Good luck with your little guy and i hope you can get past the nervous stage because snakes really are a pleasure to have.

I have the perfect solution. Most times when I want to get my adult BHP out, i ring Gillsy and he comes over and gets her out for me. Try that one!!!

I wouldn't let gillsy touch my snake .. you just dont know where he's been :)

Heh my little bugger is so calm he hasn't made any move whatsoever to have a chew. I kind of want him to do it so I know what it feels like.

If your scared of getting bitted getting a jungle was...well....a bit of a silly idea considering they are one of the snappier breeds of snake...however its to late now and we'll just hope yours settles down once it gets a bit bigger - as for handling, tried using a hook at first if your scared...? Not a big hook just one for hatchies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back