Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Publicly advertising that you were bitten
whilst attending a course
Is definitely going to attract a lot of attention.

It also makes things harder on the people
keeping vens & the people running these
courses IMO.

The problem is they allow anyone to do Elapid training/displaying these days.
If proper protocol was in order (equipment, safety & training) there wouldn't be any bites involved.

IMO I would sue the trainers for failing their duty of execution.

That is true Jonno
the safest option for beginners/learners

To be honest I've never heard
of this sort of thing happening in a course before
:shock:

It's certainly a good reason to emphasize the
"no contact" approach.. to prevent things like this
from ever occurring.

I almost wish you get bitten Kirby so you can stop typing out trash
& hitting the submit button you really need to grow up ;)

your kidding right?

kick a man while he's down, while he's trying to learn to rescue wild snakes.

Notechis scutatus yep thats the one. The others are Riesvie Tiger Snake at number 5, and Western Tiger snake at number 7.

gex01, I think what you were trying to say is that you were bitten whilst bagging a snake, not free handling....they are very different things.

Bites can happen in any course, it is a matter of circumstances, I do not know the course you attended, nor the people taking the course, however I do know that unless you have greater than 10% permanent loss or damage suing someone will get you no where.

Although I have not been bitten, the former owner of this business has, he had a very bad bite very early in his career, a distraction when feeding (child ran into the reptile room as the snake was about to strike at food), he described it as excruciating pain and took several months to recover.

I am glad to hear you are ok now.

Gex, any chance you could detail how you were bitten? ie; were you tailing ect at the time? I really don't think naming the people doing the course on an open forum will help anything, it can happen at anytime when dealing with vens.

Yes and no. It just highlights the reason why we teach "no contact" methods to first time handlers...
this course he was doing was to get his permit to do callouts?...and catch wild snakes of all types? ..so how do you learn to catch a snake with out actually doing it hands on ...I mean you cant learn to drive a car by just reading the book alone ...:|

The thing is ive been into reptiles now for twenty years what is the point of sueing ,everybody wants to sue these days hows about we kill the snake to because it bit me. I THINK NOT accidents happen and that is exactly what it was and i beleive being there and the way it happened that it was nobodys fault not the handlers not mine i did the course at my own risk and unfortunatly this occured. AS for naming which course i will not as im am not going to ruin someone good reputation for an accident come on everyone we have to realize accidents cant always be avoided nobodys perfect.:D

I did a WIRES snake handling and relocation course. When John Cann asked what they taught me he was horified and made me promise never to handle Eastern Browns ( yes JasonL i know i have told this story heaps of times). He was less than impressed with the bend over and tail them method and said what they taught me in one afternoon could not possibly prepare me for a warm and cranky brown snake. If you don't have to handle the animal then why would you? The first rescue i had to do was for a RBBS that was badly caught up in birds netting. I had to grab it by the head then cut the netting while it was thrashing about. They don't teach you things like that lol ;)

The good courses do! hands on is needed sometimes, there are nationally recognised courses now!

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing is ive been into reptiles now for twenty years what is the point of sueing ,everybody wants to sue these days hows about we kill the snake to because it bit me. I THINK NOT accidents happen and that is exactly what it was and i beleive being there and the way it happened that it was nobodys fault not the handlers not mine i did the course at my own risk and unfortunatly this occured. AS for naming which course i will not as im am not going to ruin someone good reputation for an accident come on everyone we have to realize accidents cant always be avoided nobodys perfect.:D
glad to see that your ok. its good to hear that you hold no blame for this accident and dont wish to ruin anyones reputation. i just hope your accident points out the risks of handling vens to people.

Well I am glad my trainer was from the old school ...I started out at the shallow end and by the end I was in the deep ...I dont understand how you dont get taught hands on ...most of my callouts are hands on ...but then again I still have not mastered the trick of calling the snakes name and holding my bag open so he can do a backflip in...(yeah I was being sarcastic)

The good courses do! hands on is needed sometimes, there are nationally recognised courses now!

How much do you pay somebody to feed & clean your snakes for a week? Perhaps I can do a Ven. Handling Course and pay you with my labour. I will look after your animals very well. You might even offer me a job and keep me on. :) Ok another piece of saracasm that isn't funny.

I am busting to do this course but money & time just isn't on my side :( When I settle into my new job properly and my hubby is back at work full time, then I can start stashing some money :D

I want to learn how to get these naughty snakes out of cluttered sheds. Chasing them in open paddocks is easy, but I haven't had a single call out to a snake that is in an open paddock. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
hi Jason yes mate i was tailing it to put it in the bag and what happened was as i was putting her into the bag she came backup and around my arm.when she did this i slowly went down to put her on the ground so i could tail her again but as she started to slither down my arm to go back on the ground and must have picked up a scent on my long sleeved shirt and turned her snout into my arm and had a munch.:)

We have a few staff already who clean...sorry.....and the ones that work with the vens were taken on after they completed the courses. Other staff that we have are taken on and put through the course when they feel they are ready for it after working with the other animals for a while.....unfortunately you live in the wrong state! We are always wanting to talk to people who would like to work with us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back