Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

harlemrain

Reaction score
Hi All,

So received an email from the NPWS Wildlife Licensing and Management looking for the placement of about 6 reptiles in my area and want to know how many/if I would be interested in having one.

It doesn't say where they've come from only that placing them back into the wild is not feasible or that they may have been seized in law enforcement investigations :?

Has anyone on here ever done it before? I'm on the fence about it on one hand you want to give an animal a home, on the other hand you have no idea what it's like, where it comes from or what health issues it may have.

Advice/Experiences Please??

Ta

When I get those emails form the department, I always put my name down. But I am willing to give home to any animal.
All my attempts however have been unsuccessful. I figure the day they do decide to give me an animal, i will definitely be going straight to a herp vet for a checkup, and would recommend if you do receive an animal this way, you go straight to the vet so you don't put any of your other animals at risk.

Lucky you!

I am only 30 minutes south of you and never got an email.

Do they list a choice of what they have for you to choose from?.....or is it totally random.....(Wouldn't like to become the owner of a snap'n Scrubby without a little bit of a think about it first....LOL)

I guess it is always a risk in terms of the temperament you may get, but if you are a comfortable handler and prepared to have a crack at something that might be a little feisty it might be a good way to get another species/animal that you may have wanted

I have .. I got a rescued Jungle.. It was a bit cranky but settled

Lucky you!

I am only 30 minutes south of you and never got an email.

Do they list a choice of what they have for you to choose from?.....or is it totally random.....(Wouldn't like to become the owner of a snap'n Scrubby without a little bit of a think about it first....LOL)

I guess it is always a risk in terms of the temperament you may get, but if you are a comfortable handler and prepared to have a crack at something that might be a little feisty it might be a good way to get another species/animal that you may have wanted

Originally it was one Murray Darling, One Diamond, One Port Macquarie Python and two Bluetongues but the sent through an update making it One MD and Two Carpet x Diamond (??)

They also state in the email that they have identified them to the best of their abilities but make no guarantees haha, I would love the MD just want to think about it before I go rushing in :)

I once won a ballot on the MNC of NSW and ended up with the most beautiful female High Yellow Diamond.

Attachments

• 20120516_134046.jpg
    20120516_134046.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 219
Originally it was one Murray Darling, One Diamond, One Port Macquarie Python and two Bluetongues but the sent through an update making it One MD and Two Carpet x Diamond (??)

They also state in the email that they have identified them to the best of their abilities but make no guarantees haha, I would love the MD just want to think about it before I go rushing in :)

Yes....The MD would be my choice, followed closely by the Carpet x Diamond depending on what they looked like.....

Good luck with your decision - If you go for it you will have to post up some pics and let us know your experience.

Id go for it, especially if you're keen on an MD! You could always worm it out and hopefully, you'll be quaranteening any new aquisition (for at least 6 months) anyway, wether it be captive bred or from the wild. Here's one of mine, aquired through ballot.

Attachments

• Post shed 016 [1600x1200].jpg
    Post shed 016 [1600x1200].jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 238
  • scrubbie following shed 015 [1600x1200].jpg
    scrubbie following shed 015 [1600x1200].jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 253
i got a woma through the ballot at coffs 3 yrs ago...talk about laid back,bloody magic animal

1st pic is when we 1st got him..... 2nd pic is him resting on the lounge lol 2 weeks ago

was a nice drive up to coffs and back in a day :)

Attachments

• P5020003.jpg
    P5020003.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 199
  • wommy the woma 16.2.13 001.jpg
    wommy the woma 16.2.13 001.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
How do you get on the list for these ballots or offers?

Do you have to subscribe or is it random based on location from the office holding the animal?

its just random based in the area the reptiles need to be collected from. i have never recieved an email but some times DEC lists it on this site and i replied once and got a darwin off them, geat snake, great to handle, eats and sheds great.

we picked up Cuddles 6months ago "Diamond x coastal " . All coastal ,but thats ok she is a very different snake from our others ( stimsons .. BHP ) not settled yet but getting better , although we never have to clean the enclosure as she only goes in the back yard :D

We saw a post on here asking for interest --- so i showed some and got a snake :D

Was a nice drive !!!! as we live 750 mtrs from the DEC / NSWNPWS building :lol:

lucky u born...took me and other from newcastle,4 1/2hrs to drive to coffs.... and i've never seen or heard of any other ballots since

Both Bart70 and myself live in Port Macquarie (30 min sth Kempsey) and we are both members of the North Coast Herpetology group and niether of us got an email from NPWS, strange!!..........................Ron

Yeah, these are snakes that people like me and other relocators pick up on call outs.
For example down here on the Central Coast of NSW our local python is only the diamond python. Anything else we find, it is a requirement of our relocator licence that we do not re-release it into the wild. We find all sorts too, like coastals, jungles,anteresia, water pythons, crossed subspecies like diamond x jungle, murry darlings, out of area lizards etc,etc.
These are then dealt with in different ways. We contact NPWS and we then either hang onto them until they or us find a person who wants it, or if there is multiple animals on hand they will run a "ballot". A ballot is advertised to whoever they want to let know, sometimes even a add on the forums, and first in with their hand up gets the animal. Sometimes, but getting harder to do is the herp Society handout, where the animal goes to a herp society to be given to a worthy recipient.
With all these animals , their background is completely unknown. They have most commonly come from private collections so its possible they could be carrying mites or any other disease. If they have been out in the wild for a while and feeding on their natural prey items they could be carrying parasites, protozoa's, flagellates etc.
If you take on one of these animals, it is a MUST to get it checked by a vet, and wormed and also kept in complete isolation and quarantine from your other reptiles. 13 mths min quarantine is the recommended time.
By taking these precautions you have a very good chance of ending up with a very good pet that you have picked up for free and even future breeder animal.
The NPWS is quite helpful when it comes to these cases, and I have helped people who are unlicensed but want to keep the animal, get special fast licence ok done up by NPWS and its theirs.

You need to have your correct email address on your records so they can send the ballot info to you. But if you get a balloted animal it is very important to get it to a vet for a vet check or someone who is very experienced. Some of the times these animals are coming out of places that have had them illegally and didnt know how to keep them or they might have been neglected or even left behind when someone has moved out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back