Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never worried what anyone else thinks, if thy don't like it, who's problem is it? Not yours!

Simple.. as was mentioned before your mother in law won't visit.

Stop inviting those people over when you have friends around.. when they find out you had people over but they weren't invited and askl why explain that they said they wouldn't come round while you have the snake and so you respected their wishes by not inviting them.

They will either change their mind and become more tolerant or more inquisitive.

I recently had my friends over for the first time and warned them I had a snake. None were worried about it getting out (the snake actually hid for most of the night and only appeared towards the end of the evening) a couple would love to have a snake and were inquisitive about it, particularly the reduced cost/effort of maintenance compared to cats/dogs.

Enjoy the solitude.

Its a quick way to work out who your friends are lol.It was Dad who had a problem with them as has been mentioned "any good snake is a dead one".But people change there way of thinking eventually.Some of the haters have come to accept them an often ask how are your snakes going?.And sometimes the say i saw a snake the other day and it looked like this can you tell me what type it is?

Cheers MatE.

I use to think snakes and lizards were scary animals but ever since i joined this forum, i started loving them.

Unfortunately this happens from time to time. My sister in law and her husband refuse to come over to the house because I built a snake enclosure (snake coming mid-May). Just made my wife really upset. It is really annoying.

My family though i was a bit nuts but they supported me because they knew i could handle it and that hes safley locked in his tank. My fiance hated snakes and was a bit weary at first but now he thinks hes great. anyone who says you a wierdo or gives you a hard time then they are the one with the problem. i have has cat scratches from my cat worse than a snake could inflict not to mention numerous bird bites but he they are cute and cuddle so its okay hahahaha(silly people)

LOL it's unfortunate but there are those who remain firmly uneducated about reptiles and herps.......I was chatting with a guy on Yahoo one night (we belong to the same interest group, um, another interest!!) I told him I had snakes and he got really intersted, I was happily explaining the logistics of keeping pythons when his real interest in them emerged.......when he asked if there was an "erotic" angle on keeping them, I had lots of very quick backpedalling to do, and explaining that was the furthest thing from my mind!!!!

Not sure I want to talk to anyone about them now!!!!!

lol my boyfriend who doesnt realy like animals of any sort loves my jungle python Kethra and he puts up with me coming up with her when hes on the computer or playing the xbox and putting her on him :D

as for people saying your crazy for having reptiles well they just dont have an clue about reptiles. like when i tell people i have a cuddly blue tounge lizard they look at me in horror, but franky is really cuddly and demands to be taken out of his enclosure all the time. some people are just odd me thinks.

Wait till you keep vens like taipans,adders etc. and see how mad they really think you are!

I get this nonsense alot too. I think most people go alright with lizards, but a snake "oooohhhh no" they say " they re straight from the pits of hell"
Im mean you get dogs that are trained to kill and people are like " oh they nice dogs, I want to get one day" I mean a rott weiler or similar breed of dog would happily mutilate a stranger. And yet some times people keep them as pets and is thought to be less 'extreme' than a cool little snake.

Where am i going with this?
Crush

i turned my girlfriend into a reptile lover, before i got my first snake she absolutely hated them, told me that it was never to come out of its enclosure when she was around. Now she will get my snakes out with out any hesitation

by a few spiders, maby a scorpion or two an eel then top it off with 3 cages next to ya bed with adders in two of them. then see what they say...

I came home one day with a month old Mac. My mum was petrified.

Now he is 50cm long and she always asks "Where is my baby??"

She loves my snake!

My mums mate hated snakes. and said she would never comne to the house again but once she met my little coastal she has become a lover!

I had a friend that used to hate lizards and he used to throw rocks at them. I gave him a week training about them and now he is so in love with them.

I felt proud of myself once he liked lizards

oh my gods that's really over the top. i tink i got wieder reactions back when i had a pet rat, then what i do now when i tell people about my reps. i must admit i do like to get thse reactions out of people sometimes- when we're bored at work if we have rats in my boss will actually bring one out and put it on shoulder so we can all watch the horrified looks on peoples faces, most entertaining
i tink the best way to deal with ignorant over the top reactiosn is to play up to them and enjoy the ride :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back