Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ailerom

Not so new Member
Reaction score
How important is it to provide a UV light for a young snake? I have heard conflicting opinions. At the moment I do not have a UV light for my young coastal. Should I make a point of keeping him outside for brief periods to get some rays, and if so for how long and how often?

A number of different opinions about this. The general consensus is that you don't need a UV for a Coastal. However, a UV can't hurt. Taking them out in the sun for a little bit can't hurt either. And you'll probably see your snake looking really spectacular in the sunlight too.

The only snake that probably needs UV is a Diamond Python but again, the subject of much discussion.

None of my snakes get UV from a lamp, but I do periodically put them in the sun. MInd you, I don't have Diamonds.

:p

Hix

Not sure about snakes but i do know that uvb(290-320 nanometers) promotes vitamin D3 production in the skin of bearded dragons which helps them to absorb calcium for growth. But i don't think pythons need uv light
, but i could be wrong. It has been said that diamonds need uv light to prevent "diamond syndrome" but in articles i've read this syndrome is actually due to high temps, and diamonds more suited to cooler conditons then other pythons.

This isn't about diamonds so lets not start with the "diamond syndrome" argument.

Its up to the keeper of the snake. I provide UV as I like to mimic what the snake would witness in the wild.

i totally agree with hix none of mine get artifficial uv (i own no diamonds)
and anthony it is essencial for most lizards to have access to uv
well the ones that are not nocturnal anyhow

Artificial UV light doesn't seem to be a necessity for snakes, but mine has a UV globe in her tank, and she does bask under it. :)

my bredli doesnt have a UV light in his tank, but spends weekends in a sunny plant pot on the balcony,....he seems to love the warmth of the sun but not the brightness, on really bright days he shoves his head under his coils. :)

I supply my Jungles with a UV heat lamp (obviously reptile type). I guess it has a dual purpose, supplying necessary heat and UV as well. Snakes bask in the sun in the wild right, so I guess it's fitting trying to mimic nature to have a content snake. IMPO I beleive most but obviously not all creatures need vitamen D3, us humans do as well,otherwise there could be the risk of a deficiency, it just makes sense, although I am not a scientist!!
:)

The other question I have is related to temperature. The temperature range in the house is between about 27 and 31. We live in Darwin, and I don't use air-conditioning, only fans. So the python has no cool spots in his housing to regulate his temperature. Does anyone see this as a potential problem?

In short, yes - this is a problem. You need to have a temperature gradient in the enclosure, especially if the temperature rises above the 31 you say your house gets to. Having adequate ventilation would also be important, because if the temp in the house reaches, say 34 degrees, and the temp in the enclosure also reaches 34 degrees, then when the temp in the house cools down later on, the temp in the enclosure won't cool as quickly unless you have plenty of ventilation (or some other way of cooling).

:p

Hix

i have used "solar drops" which is a liquid uva and uvb formula used for dragons and such... however very rarely when a snake is less active or not feeding well, ill put a droplet on the mouses head, or the snakes mouth when feeding and it really peps them up!

it should be readily available at herp stores, just keep in mind its not meant for snakes i use it on my dragon species! i only have had to use it once or twice on a couple of snakes and it did make a big difference. but read the directions carefully if you use it, only use ONE droplet, and only repeat IF nessecary WEEKS later.

i totally agree with hix none of mine get artifficial uv (i own no diamonds)
and anthony it is essencial for most lizards to have access to uv
well the ones that are not nocturnal anyhow
I didn't say they didn't.;)

I think the long and the short of it is snakes don't need it and most lizards don't need it. If you want to supply it then it wont hurt but needless expense.

I used to spend a fortune on Reptigrow flouro lites only to have the pythons in their hides all day . Now its normal flouro days and uv blacklites at nite . They seem to like the " moonlite " effect and the day lites are cheap heat source .

I think the long and the short of it is snakes don't need it and most lizards don't need it. If you want to supply it then it wont hurt but needless expense.

most lizards dont need it?
without it in practically ALL dragon species growth rate life span and development rate are all severly effected, also with tree frogs, its been proven to reduce growth deforematies too. but as for snakes, i have to agree that they dont need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back