how often should you hold a python to maintain a 'good handler'?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
as has already been mentioned, he needs to be healthy first, has he been wormed?
ive heard regurgitating can mean worms.

once mine are settled in i start taking them out every second day to do something interesting like 10 mins of cruising around a new area, and on alternate days i stick my hand in and give them a pat.

i do that till they stop biting, or looking like theyre going to bite, and just slither away.

keep it up till they stop slithering away and theyre at a point where once or twice a week (even just a pat) is enough to stop them reverting to being bitey buggers. :)

thats what works fro me anyway. :)

We dont feel the need to self gratify by handling our animals.
The only times they are handled are for cleaning, breeding etc and guess what there isnt a "bad handler" in any of them :shock:

Funkstaa - I would not even been concerned about handling that animal until you are positive it is feeding well and in good condition...

...the retained shed and fact that it was regurging indicates that something is not right - either with the snake or with your husbandry...

A poor shed can be an indication of stress or illness - and regurging is not a good thing either - I would not be stressing this guy out ANY further and would be concentrating on getting him back into good health first.

In relation to frequency of handling - mine get handled when a cage gets cleaned or an inquisitive guest who hasnt seen the snakes before comes around and wishes to hold one...thats all...

...and none of them bite...

I totally agree with Aslan....

Haha Jason I hope they are. my woma doest bite but I am sure the little jungle I am getting will give me a few love taps every now and then

my girl bites every time so i use gloves when handling her and thats just to get her out for feed time and to clean the enclosure. while shes feeding im cleaning. as for my male he has never bitten or struck he is out most days. both have just gone up a feed so as said b4 look at the size of the snake rats are better for them. good luck gloves until you are comfortable handling and not worried about being bitten, i still hate it when she bites

omg stimsi! what bit you (so I know what not to get!) : p
Is there a time that's better to hold them day vs night, I was told day was better but with him being nocturnal doesn't that mean I'm interupting his sleep patterns?
It's pretty bad when I have my 5 year old asking if she can get him out and I'm being a chicken I think the suck it up verdict is winning : (

Yeh mate a can of concrete then get in there i'm sure it carnt be as bad as you think

goes with the territory mate

getting bit is part of snake keeping mate.it sounds harsh but you should really just suck it up and get on with it,or give up for the snakes sake.the reason i'm saying this is the snake WILL PICK UP on your nervousness and thats most likely why your getting bit so many times.i had a nervous jungle and if you p*ssed about too much in front of his tank building up the courage to get him out,he winessed this and got all worked up too.he would then hit you like a machine gun when you tried to get him out.the best way is to go right in and get him out no mucking about in front of his tank.if he's really cage defensive then use a hook to get him out.once out he should calm down a bit.once carpets get to a certain size and they realise your not going to eat them,they usually calm down just fine.also the longer you have him the more accustomed to his behaviour you will become.learning to see the signs when he's getting spooked.as for handling i give all my snakes 3 days to digest their meal before handling.a nervous snake i would handle for no more than 5 minutes at a time.gradually building up to 15 minutes as the snake calms down and gets used to being handled.some snakes never calm down or get to the stage where they put up with you.other carpets are puppy dog tame from day one.its like people they're all have different temprements and natures.
cheers shaun

i agree with jasonl. biters are way more fun. keeps it interesting. unless youre dealing with a 12ft ANGRY ANGRY scrubbie. last time she tagged me (my fault) it was a trip to the hospital and 14 stitches. Aaahhhh. good times. LOL. maccies dont hurt at all. youll be right mate.

I know it's the enevidable that I'll get bitten I suppose it's the unexpected that spooks me, I look at his head and go pfft like that's going to do any damage but at the same time stall big time to get him out - I don't dance around the front of his viv or anything I bought a hook and when it's time for him to come out, I hook him and as soon as he's out it's fine I just don't get him out enough as I don't know what it is holding me back but I put it off for what ever reason,
I wanted him for ages, I think he's the spunkiest little thing, but everytime when I think of getting him out I come up with something else to do 'just incase' he's asleep or in a bad mood etc...
It's just different without ne one there to fall back on - I suppose I'll get there eventually : )

mate seriously just go in there and pick it up hold it for a while and you'll find that it probably wont even bite you, just remember the longer you put it off, the more likely it is to become a very aggressive snake, so as i said have your can of concrete and get in there

If you have ever been bitten/scratched by a kitten you have experienced more pain that that little snake could ever cause you...suck it up.

Last edited:
I know it's the enevidable that I'll get bitten I suppose it's the unexpected that spooks me, I look at his head and go pfft like that's going to do any damage but at the same time stall big time to get him out - I don't dance around the front of his viv or anything I bought a hook and when it's time for him to come out, I hook him and as soon as he's out it's fine I just don't get him out enough as I don't know what it is holding me back but I put it off for what ever reason,
I wanted him for ages, I think he's the spunkiest little thing, but everytime when I think of getting him out I come up with something else to do 'just incase' he's asleep or in a bad mood etc...
It's just different without ne one there to fall back on - I suppose I'll get there eventually : )

if you think hes sleeping,just gentley tap him with the hook.he will get used to the routine.hook him out ,then handle him.you just need to build up confidence mate.but you want to do it while hes still small,the bigger the snake the bigger the bite.
cheers shaun

an 07 jungle did this
S8004405.jpg

I think he's as big as he's going to get being 3 now is that right?...Also as the verdict was suck it up I had him out today and he was trying to constrict my arm - what's with that?

This is an adult spotted bite
IMG_3123.jpg

When my partner cleaned the blood off we couldn't even find the bite mark lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back