how often should you hold a python to maintain a 'good handler'?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is absolutely no need to handle a python to maintain a good handler IMO. Its not something they need to enrich their lives or bond with you.

we have a 3yr old spotted and she's really temperamental - kids can't handle her at all in case she hits them.

she has a habit of sneaking up on my hand or fingers and then ever so slowly clamping down.... only way to get her to let go is gently squeeze her neck just behing the head - even water won't make her let go.

other times, she'll be fine, but generally, she's quite feisty.

going to get another one and try again.....:)

I think he's as big as he's going to get being 3 now is that right?...Also as the verdict was suck it up I had him out today and he was trying to constrict my arm - what's with that?

If he has his teeth stuck into you, while he is constricting then grab some salt and pepper for him, cos he thinks you're lunch :lol:, If there is no teeth involved, then he's just trying to hang on, 2 of my darwins do the same thing

Handle all mine on a daily basis but not after feeding and there all dog tame!

:shock::rolleyes::shock:

Its become obvious that this thread is about "my snake as an accessory".
Aslan gave some very sound advice which the OP has ignored completely.
It is reasonable to assume that the OP has no interest in the snakes health and welfare.

I disagree, Peter. The original photo that shows the snake with retained shed and info that he was also regurging was from when Funkstaa first picked up the snake, and she then addressed these problems by taking him to the vet and sorting it out. It is not unreasonable that Funkstaa wants to handle her new pet, but has all the normal newbie questions concerning everyone's welfare - herself, her child, and the snake. I don't see how this, in any way, indicates that she is treating the animal "as an accessory" or is uninterested in the snakes welfare.

Thanks Kristy : )... Peter I couldn't have agree'd more with Aslan, I held my python once when I initially bought him home and that was to transfer him into his enclosure, I live in rural nth qld so sourced someone then drove 3 hours to get him seen by someone with herp expierience.I continued to leave him be for a further 3 weeks until I had finished worming him properly.
By no means is he an accessory, I simply want to be able to handle him without being bitten incase there are further health issue's and for when I need to clean his viv - and just incase one my girls manage to open his enclosure.
As you can tell I'm not confident handling, I got him because I'm fasinated by their movement and behaviour, I'm sorry if you got the wrong impression, and I take offence to your statement.
If I was doing something wrong I'd take it but I don't see how asking questions is wrong I want to make sure I'm doin g the right thing by him - and all of my herps....so be prepared for many more q's :)

Its become obvious that this thread is about "my snake as an accessory".
Aslan gave some very sound advice which the OP has ignored completely.
It is reasonable to assume that the OP has no interest in the snakes health and welfare.

Give the newbies a break, and stop the assumptions.
In order to adequetely look after a snakes health and welfare, they do, at some stage need to be handled, and how do you suggest a new owner gains the confidence to handle their new pet if they are being told that by doing so they are treating their snake as an accessory, ??
Not every new snake owner has 'all knowledge' before acquiring their snake, Just like all new parents don't know everything about raising a child, its all learn as you go and trial and error,

I disagree, Peter. The original photo that shows the snake with retained shed and info that he was also regurging was from when Funkstaa first picked up the snake, and she then addressed these problems by taking him to the vet and sorting it out. It is not unreasonable that Funkstaa wants to handle her new pet, but has all the normal newbie questions concerning everyone's welfare - herself, her child, and the snake. I don't see how this, in any way, indicates that she is treating the animal "as an accessory" or is uninterested in the snakes welfare.

Fair comment, should read a bit closer in future:? previous poster, your planet wants you back.

:shock::rolleyes::shock:

no need fro eye rolling, i dont believe in having snakes that are so stressed by humans they hit the glass whenever someone walks into the room, u should know that can cause serious injuries.
and this method has worked for all of mine.

I have handled the Spotted Python I intend to Purchase.

No Fears, but still use caution and respect.

I have lt him slither around my Neck, inside my shirt and through my hair.

I remain aware of him recoiling but its often nothing more than him backing up to change direction.

Nonetheless I know he is Faster than I could ever dreamof being so as I said, Respect and Caution is the key but ya need not fear.

I will be proud to own my Python and will enjoy handling it in the privacy of my own house.

If that makes it an accessory to some then shame on me.

However IMO, what makes any animal an "Accessory" is dragging it to and fro to various shows and displays.
Not handling every once in a while or even every dy in the privacy of your own home.
to me that is wanting to enjoy the animal/reptile that you have.
Dont get me wrong im not expecting to get it out and play with it like a toy but I do see it as a Pet and something to be enjoyed when feasible, dependant on the Pythons health and Mood and not just left locked away.

Last edited:
i have brought my snake up well it doesnt bite when she still has a lump and she doesnt strike at anyone at anytime but now because she it maturing she is getting a bit cage protective i slowely touch her to let her no that im hear and slowley grab she is a bit flighty but yeah if i get bit she is letting me no she doesnt want to be held and i put her down i hold my snake for about 5 to 10 min a day... also learn to sence your snake see how she moved and what happens when she is pissed off so you no to leave her alone if you want to handle her and she bites you just stick with it and she will start to become more relaxed and she will be fine

Hi agian Funkstaa. If you've already wormed, forget my advice in the other thread. The advice about a hook is excellent. When your giant hand comes down on a snake from above, it's like a predator trying to eat it. Given the troubles you've had with Fluffy, a hook seems like a good investment for basic husbandry right now.
As far as keeping them handling well, once Fluffy's health is good, try hooking him/her out of the enclosure onto your hands for a little while, then back into the enclosure. Start slow, then work up to handling for longer periods, moving around, etc. If the snake looks stressed (quick, jerky movements, ready to strike) put it back. There is no set schedule. I may not handle my snakes for a month (away on holiday), but when I return, they are fine. I don't handle for 3 days after a feed or when they show signs of sloughing (reclusive, milky, wrinkly).
If there is a liklihood of getting bitten, use that hook. I feed my spotted in a tub because he shares an enclosure. I always hook him back into the enclosure because he is in strong feeding mode in the tub and strikes as soon as you take off the lid. It's safer and less exciting for him if I use a hook then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back