Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skelhorn

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Soooo, (And the title isn't neccessarily mis-leading lol) Recently I got my 3rd Python (Male Bredli-6 feet long-Lovely snake Amazing to handle, very strong, very willing to go where he wants to haha) And previously I had my 2 Stimson's (M and F 15ish months old very placid very chilled :)
I now want (but won't be able to until we get a bigger place) 2 Woma's, 2 jungles and would love a GTP (but am dreaming there).

Anyone out there in the same boat? Has one or even 20 and wants more? I am sure we all do but there is a difference to actually wanting then actually getting.

I wasn't going to get the Bredli but my Partner 'made' me. She doesn't like pythons (maybe a little) but saw it as an Unbeleiveable price that couldn't be turned down so I followed her Advice :p for once.

I don't want to get pythons and store them in smaller tanks ontop of eachother as I have seen a lot of people do (whether its a space issue or for continual breeding etc etc I am unsure)- but I enjoy watching them in larger tanks so they can move freely, but thats why its going to be a while before my collection of 7 (or so) is completed as I enjoy the more expensive set ups because they are nice to have around the house and people enjoy viewing them.

Good to see someone set some limits. The trouble with larger collections is you spend more time de-crapping than en-joying ;)

Thanks mate. I realise the poop side of things, But funny enough My brdli Goes in the same spot every time. Its amazing and easy to clean haha. Plus I took someone's advice and after 4-5 after a feed I take my pythons out onto the lawn and 80% of the time they actually poo, Its excellent lol And they are big craps haha

Bad luck mate... it's a bad financially debilitating disease that all reptile enthusiast are eventually going to suffer from. There's no known cure either unfortunately.

To be completely honest with you...I have heard of One cure. its the only one known to man.

Its the 15 million $$$ jackpot from lotto! Even then it can still be a struggle ;)

Yep I have the same disease..
Used to suffer from MTS (multiple tank syndrome (fishkeepers version)), came into snakes and it is a very similar feeling. After viewing the workload on some large collections I have realised I do not want to go large scale and loose the feeling of each snake being my 'pet'. What I have done is made a list in my mind of must-haves, and try to be realistic in all my purchases. Unless you really want something desperately I wouldn't go collecting as such. Make up your priority snake list :)

Heh I have a list of at least 4 more snakes I want to get. Pygmy, Tanami Woma, Stimson and leaning towards a RSP. Hubby said the second Children's would be the last one I would get. I think he's going to lose the argument when we get back to Brisvegas at christmas time :twisted:
My argument is simply that I'd like a different snake and possibly one a bit larger but I'm not allowed anything that can swallow his pure bred Tibetan Spaniel or the two cats ROFL. One of my cats is over 8kg and she's huge so I hardly worry for her. So I have no doubt there will be a handful more in the next couple of years. And I'd like to give breeding a try too, so I can't see him winning this one!

Hahaha very true guys.

To be completely honest then and more realistic the Pair of Woma's will probably be the last pair I buy...Unless I find a really cheap pair (or cheap hatchies) of Wheatbelt Stimson's. I love their patterns too.

To have pride in nice looking (& smelling) snakes is more important as I'm the same as Sarah :) I like mine as Pets not just a collection :) If I have more then 5 then time spent with each will be harder and harder. And I enjoy sitting in from of the TV with my Stimson's and taking Kaa (Bredli) out on the lawn...His too curious to watch tv with...he can't stay still haha

Lol yer we went from having one for 3 years n then all of a sudden over a year n a half got another 10 oops. Definitely no more room in the house for more.

I too am suffering from this illness. In 6 months i have purchaced 2 pythons, 2 dragons and a bobtail. And now i'm starting to get the "itch" again! I need more snakes! I need my fix!!!!!

The best cure for the disease is to spend time looking after way more reptiles than you'd ever actually want, it wears thin quickly. Especially when you work with them and then go home to look after your own! People in this boat quickly learn that the passion must be curbed, downsize to exactly what they wanted in the first place (before they discovered multiple other species in captivity they 'had to have') and breath a sigh of relief when its all over! That is, until the few left start to breed in spring..........

It gets far far worse when all your reptile friends start giving you free snakes :(
who can say no , lol

But I admit whats the point of keeping lots of animals in tubs you never get to see?

I started with a Albino Darwin.... Then I got BHP... Love him.. Then I saw a frickn awesome deal... So now i Find myself with 2 100% Het Simone Stone Darwins...

I want a GTP Pretty bad... But a Orange Pepper Jag just as much. I live in a unit hey and i have enclosures EVERYWHERE (nice big roomy ones)

I think i'm going to limit myself and my pocket to under 5 herps at a time. (I will report back on that number in a year) I WANT TO BREED!

Yep I have the same disease..
Used to suffer from MTS (multiple tank syndrome (fishkeepers version)), came into snakes and it is a very similar feeling. After viewing the workload on some large collections I have realised I do not want to go large scale and loose the feeling of each snake being my 'pet'. What I have done is made a list in my mind of must-haves, and try to be realistic in all my purchases. Unless you really want something desperately I wouldn't go collecting as such. Make up your priority snake list :)

Sarah I think I had that MTS too. I bought a coffee table fish tank- best most awesome tank in the world. Have it as a community tank. So cool (Bit off topic).. Then I found snakes... Cant stop buying Siamese fighting fish for some reason though, their so nifty.

It gets far far worse when all your reptile friends start giving you free snakes :(
who can say no , lol

But I admit whats the point of keeping lots of animals in tubs you never get to see?

How true! Its like a new phase in the reptile keeping scene where cheap reptiles are so hard to move that people desperate for room and to spend less on food just give them away. Its too tempting to say no, but then your stuck with reps you weren't on the market for.

Jeez I wish I had that problem of getting free reps , then I wouldnt have 3 empty tanks lol . I have another 3 tanks nearly finished . Might have to stop building for a while :(

Take you time

I know it is exciting but take your time.......you dont want all your snakes the same age either each age has something special to offer and if you get them all too quickly you will have adults all the same age growing old together !!

I gave away a nice jungle today to a friend so I could justify buying another monitor , hahah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back