I think my pythons blind !

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Torah

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
OK so my python has NO PUPIL , none at all its isnt small , he isnt due to shed , he just doesnt have a pupil or any other colour in his eyes... his eye is kind of like a blue/grey/black colour ALL the time , He opens his mouth alot but doesnt flick his tounge often , he puts his WHOLE head in the water bowl and OPENS his mouth fairly noticably to drink . Ive also noticed he will touch all the way around things eg glass of his tank, with his WHOLE body for a cm then stop for a cm then do it again . He also has afew scars.IMG_1613.jpgIMG_1689.jpgIMG_1607.jpg Can anyone tell me , is he BLIND ???

not sure, but its doesnt look right to me.... is that its enclosure in the middle picture ???? does he sit in his water very often ???

Yes but that is only a quarter of his enclosure and he spend most of the Day and Night in his water dish ! and He doesnt really notice when im in front of his tank until I speak or rub the glass to make it squeak ....Whats wrong with him !? Im worried :(

its hard to tell with the blurry pics. doesnt sound right to me. as for his actions i wouldnt worry my snakes do all sorts of odd and random things.
i would have thought if he was blind he would use his tongue a LOT more as that would be his only way of seeing.
maybe take it to a reptile vet and get him checked. does he have mites? is it a retained lens from an old shed or has it been this way for a long time?

imo from what i can see his enclosure doesnt look real ideal for a... diamond is it ??? when and who did you get him from ???

was his eye like this from the start? i would give him somewhere to climb. other than that i dont see a problem. its an old fish tank right? lots of people use them for snakes. nothin wrong with it.

Ive only had him afew weeks , how should his tank be different ??? Hes alot darker than the other diamonds ive seen and I think he may have been wild caught ! Ill take him to the vet ! and no no mites .... retaining lens ???? huh ????

---------- Post added 26-Dec-10 at 09:45 PM ----------

he has a climbing branch but never uses it and yes its been like that from the start !

if you could get a few clearer pics it would help
mine spends alot of time in the water also even in winter
are both eyes the same? can you see any change when you shine a light in its eyes after dark?
even if its blind it should pick up your heat when you are near it, is it very new and have you fed it yet?

its just looks abit small and like a tight fit sorta, what are you using as substrate ? does he have something to climb on ? hides ? being all glass do you find it hard to keep the right temps and humidity ? is he eating ?

retained lens as in the lens over its eye. they are replaced each shed. sometimes they can get stuck and not shed with the skin.
sounds to me like you are doing everything right. looks in good health. be interesting to know how he goes eating.

a fish tank is not idea for keeping snakes as it is too hard to regulate temps.....you will end up heating far more than you need to...better to get a proper melamine enclosure....where did the snake come from to be in this condition ? sounds wild caught to me .....

a fish tank is not idea for keeping snakes as it is too hard to regulate temps.....you will end up heating far more than you need to...better to get a proper melamine enclosure....where did the snake come from to be in this condition ? sounds wild caught to me .....
i agree, and i dont think he looks in the best health imo.

in the area she is from being glass wont make much difference in keeping the temps right for a diamond , I think retained lenses might be a reason for the look of no pupil (thats where he doesnt shed the lens covering the eye)

that was my thoughts farma. i have never had the problem but have read about it. if not treated right or removed can cause further problems so i read. best to get it checked as all we can do is give ideas without good quality pics to go off.
the diamond is a cooler species so i see no problem with it being in a fish tank in the area she is from.

its just looks abit small and like a tight fit sorta, The pic only shows a quarter of his tank what are you using as substrate ? euky bark/mulch does he have something to climb on ? yes lots but doesnt use it EVER hides ? yes but generally doesnt use them much either being all glass do you find it hard to keep the right temps and humidity ? Im still learning about all this myself he has a hot side and a cold side so far is he eating ? yes oooooo yes he loves to eat!

IMG_1617.jpgIMG_1623.jpgIMG_1620.jpgIMG_1613.jpg IMG_1624.jpg

Both eyes are the same , doesnt seem to be a cover (retained lens) looks more like cataracts I guess .... plus I take all my snakes out most days to explore the local oval , skate park or in my yard but I dont think his tanks too small anyway ! If Id did Id move him into a bigger one ;)

yeah without clear pics its hard to say but even if it is a retained lens id say your best bet is to see a vet to have them removed, other than that i dont think there's all that much to worry about it looks in ok condition
iv found diamonds tend to become rather unfit and lazy if housed in small conditions and this might be a reason for him not wanting to climb its also hard to say without knowing its past history but i also have a lazy one with poor muscle tone that is only just starting to climb again
.......... ok from looking at those pics it does look like a retained lens to me, but all i can say really is get a vet to look at it I dont want to advise you or anyone on here to try to remove them from a few pics i have seen (you dont want to damage the eye trying) get him to a vet at some stage and see what they think

Last edited:
OMG this is terrible ! IS THE GLASS TANK OK FOR HIM OR NOT ! I just want help not to be picked on because of HIS CONDITION (which Im not sure what you mean by that)! As i said I have only just gotten him ! He feeds fine for me , has had 3 med rats in 2 weeks ! I thought he looked a little skinny but damn I mean hes a snake ! THEYRE usually SKINNY ! The only problem I thought we had was his eyes ! now I feel like Im doing EVERYTHING wrong ! So Harley0402 please explain to me what YOU feel is wrong with his condition ???? And how can I fix it !

And yes I believe he was wild caught (years ago before me) so what does that even mean !I mean obviously it means he was caught in the wild but i mean how does that change how I care for him etc?

---------- Post added 26-Dec-10 at 10:15 PM ----------

Thank you Farma , I swear seems you always rescue me ! Hes booked in for wednesday !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back