Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

serenaphoenix

Reaction score
I'm confused as to what is illegal in terms of cross-breeding snakes... I keep seeing for sale signs for diamond x coastals and other such concoctions and i'd always thought this was illegal - obviously i must be wrong.

So, I've read the stickys on hybrids and intergrades - and i know there's the differences between interspecies and intersubspecies hybrids... and i know most of it is frowned upon - so basically... what's illegal?

Is it something from the liasis family bred with any morelia (and so on) - or is it anything from any family - including morelia spilota x morelia spilota metcalfei (for example)

Re-reading that - it's probably easier just to say:

Is this illegal (in Australia)

Olive x Coastal (which i'm sure it would have to be)

and is this illegal (in Australia)

Diamond x Coastal (which i thought was and now am not so sure)

(also I'm talking about intentional cross breeding - not wild occurances)

Hi phoenix,ive have always wonderd about this myself would be interesting to know.

Im pretty sure as long as you don't INTEND to breed them, its legal. As in, if you just happen to house them together, and they just happen to breed, you can sell the offspring, its not necessary to destroy them. I think.
Others will know for sure, but if it is illegal, no-one paying too much attention.

It is illegal in some States and not in others. It is illegal in Queensland if done deliberately.

But that's absurd.... so anyone can just "Accidently" house a male and a female snake together at breeding season and breeding age after being accidently cooled and they can sell the offspring? Law is a very strange thing...

Secondly - what's illegal? the whole kit and kaboodle or just interspecies (morelia x liasis)

Im pretty sure as long as you don't INTEND to breed them, its legal. As in, if you just happen to house them together, and they just happen to breed, you can sell the offspring, its not necessary to destroy them. I think.
Others will know for sure, but if it is illegal, no-one paying too much attention.

Cant even house together in vic

rednut - do you really have a hamster?

BHAHHAHAAH!!! talk about left field. No, no hamster, i go that sig off a website, which must have been american, lol. :lol:
I used to have guinea pigs till the wild dogs killed them :cry:

Yeah - i had a guinea pig once - stupid whiney thing... we never named it - it was just sort of.. "pig" until it died...

Anyway, so if it were to happen - and you were selling hybrid snakes - there's no way really that anyone can prove it *wasn't* an accident - and no one seems to care anyway? You can't really be punished...

That just doesn't seem cool....

only those with a keen eye for detail
or if its got noticably different patterns/colours to anything pure bred in Aus

Technically yes

and the move is on to ban breeding of Albinos good thing I reckon

Why is it a good thing? o_O As long as they are healthy snakes with no problem what is the difference besides colour.. Are designer cats and dogs etc etc going to be banned too?

Why is it a good thing? o_O As long as they are healthy snakes with no problem what is the difference besides colour.. Are designer cats and dogs etc etc going to be banned too?

Healthy mmmmm read on

Most albinos have serious vision difficulties
!ncredibly sensitive to bright lights as too much enters their eye.
an experience problems with bruising, bleeding, and susceptibility to diseases that affect the bowels and lungs.

In the wild, an albino is generally discovered and eaten by a predator early in life.
Captive albinos don't have that problem, however they still may have a shortened life span. Unique color morphs lines are generally created from a single aberrant individual, which is then bred back to a parent or sibling to get the line started. Animals from inbred lines frequently have specific problems that lead to a shortened life span.

One of the most troubling aspects of HPS is that its course is unpredictable. The severity of bleeding problems varies much in HPS, from minor bruising to life-threatening hemorrhage.
inflammation of the intestines, which may cause bloody diarrhea
The cause of the lung and intestinal problems may to have something to do with a "ceroid" or yellowish material which is found in many different organs

The sun's hazardous ultraviolet (UV) radiation (invisible energy waves) bombards an animal's skin. For most creatures, sunbeams signal their bodies to pump up the production of melanin (pigment that controls color). This natural toner helps skin tan rather than burn. Since albino animals can't produce pigments, they're unable to protect their skin. Too much UV exposure can spell severe sunburn--and possibly deadly cancers. Albino reptiles (classification of animals that includes snakes, lizards, alligators, crocodiles, and turtles) face a particularly serious dilemma. These cold-blooded animals depend on external heat to regulate their body temperature and metabolism (process in which billions of the body's cells release energy stored in food). Reptiles' heat source: the sun.
When wild albino reptiles seek out the sun for warmth, they're in for trouble, says John Brueggen, a herpetologist (reptile scientist) at the Saint Augustine Alligator Farm in Florida. "They burn," he says. "But they don't know they're burning. So they'll keep bunting until they blister."

This would have to be my main concern people keeping the with regular lighting as I have seen
Eye conditions common in albinism may include:

Yes i realise albino's CAN have health problems, but that doesn't mean they ALL have them.. Obviously if these albino's are living to breeding age they are healthy enough.. Theres also a difference between captive and wild, you can regulate their heat unlike the sun.

Yes i realise albino's CAN have health problems, but that doesn't mean they ALL have them.. Obviously if these albino's are living to breeding age they are healthy enough.. Theres also a difference between captive and wild, you can regulate their heat unlike the sun.

Red Eyed albinos are born with their first health problem their eyes

What is healthy enough?

Its not the heat it is the light Most albinos have serious vision difficulties ncredibly sensitive to bright lights as ! too much enters their eye.

and with the cross breeding unique color morphs lines are generally created from a single aberrant individual, which is then bred back to a parent or sibling to get the line started. Animals from inbred lines frequently have specific problems that lead to a shortened life span.

and it will only get worse till the fad dies out.

No the pure breeds wont be banned and the breeders cull their Albinos already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back