IMPORTATION part 2

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should Tasmanians be able to import Australian pythons?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
hi tassie97 yes its a stupid law, and from the research i did it wont be changed in a hurry because of the single minded greens running the state and the national parks, its quite funny that you can keep any native snake without a licence but not a python , as for pythons escaping and breeding theres no chance its just too cold for too long and for the person who said it dosent get down too -10 on the east coast well it was cold enough for snow to settle on the beaches two years ago and the native cats and qualls would have a field day eating them as for introduced pest well theers wasps, rats, goats,deer , trout ,carp thats got into the lake system undaria weed ,green crabs , star fish ,rag wort ,black berrys, thistle and the list goes on , tassie is a beautiful place but it needs too catch up with the rest of Australia thats why so many people are leaving and as for people having pythons in tassie well there all ready there , as for your petition stick too your guns if no body got of there *** there would be nothing done remember the squeaky wheel gets oiled first and too the negative people replying here its fine for you all you got your snakes and dont care about others ,givem heaps tassie97 cheers bazz

I agree that it should be worked upon, but it will take years to change the bureaucratic mindset - WA was dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century back in 2003 (well, maybe they got as far as the 18th century, but it was a start lol!). However, it took way more than 10 years to get it that far, and thousands of hours of meetings with (& without) department officials.

You must be prepared to accept that they will base their arguments on 'science' (and there is some pretty folksy 'science' that suits their argument not to do anything), and they don't give a damn about hobbyists - especially in Tassie, where there are very few keepers, you don't have anywhere near the numbers to be politically important. As long as the bureaucrats keep it that way, there is no problem for them. In the mainland states, reptile keepers exceed birdkeepers now by about 300-400%, so we have numbers which can be used to apply political pressure to politicians.

There may be a move sometime soon to get some significant (and expensive) legal opinion on the Constitution of this country, which apparently guarantees free and unimpeded trade between the states. If a challenge was successful, the outcome for reptile keepers would certainly free up the movement of animals around the country, in ALL states, and remove the requirement to pay a fee for the import or export of animals from one state to another. It's a bit like free trade agreements with other countries - we now have to accept apples & pears from NZ, pork from Canada, and other stuff from other places whether locals want to or not.

Jamie.

i belive the fight for this in tas has been going for about 13 years? so we are due for the gov to start listening

we will just have to wait and see what happens (better be soon) :)

i have an idea...... everyone get a couple of pythons (males and females) and fly to tazzy and release them!!! let them breed madly!!! then what can the authorities do!!!! mwuhahahahaha!!!!....... but seriously i think tazzy should be aloud them. i have to move there in a couple of months and i am pissed to fined out that we cant have pythons

Dude, if you are serious about this, write a letter to your local member of parliarment and request that the letter is also forwarded to the relevant minister in charge of the portfolio responsible for reptile keeping laws.

I guarantee the response will be deeply unsatisfactory, most likely just a recap of the current laws with a good measure of towing the party line, but hey, they say the people get the government they deserve, Tasmania is truly case in point in this instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back