Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can guarantee you that high end animals do not get hatched in Hovabators.

I would love to know how you bred Rough scaled pythons over the years when you are in Victoria? They only came on the list in October last year? Are you just telling porky pies about all the things you have bred in Hoovabators?

That is a bit of a big call to make isn't it? Unless you know every single person who has ever bred "high end" reptiles.. How can you really guarantee that as a fact?

Are you also suggesting that people who don't breed "high end" animals are inferior (in methods used and such? because they are lower class and cant afford fancy hi-tech state-of-the-art new fandangled systems like yours?)? Some people honestly dont like the look etc of "high end reptiles"... And prefer to keep things they like that are monetarily classed as "worthless" for lack of a better word as personal taste differs a good example is elapids (being "cheap" etc yet people still love them enough to keep and breed them every year)... To even hint at something like that is ludacris.

You do realise that a normal Darwin carpet, is the exact same as an albino carpet species-wise yes? Or are you talking GTP? Albino olives (which again, are the same thing species-wise as normal albinos) and other super-cali-exxy herps...?

I also don't see the relevance of bringing up Rough Scaled Pythons and questioning his integrity/legality etc... As as far as I have seen, he didnt mention anything about Roughies did he? Its almost like a personal attack against him...I could have missed that though (where he mentioned roughies)... Forgive me. :oops:

:|:|:|

Last edited:
You seem to be correct geckoman... I've read so much in this thread a minor detail like that was forgotten :oops:

Even still he did say "over the years" people can live in many different places "over the years" . Specific example, a chick from work, shipped her whole family to NSW, lasted 6months tops and hated it, and was back again... I've known people who move every 5yrs, every 10yrs etc etc. Due to work commitments or anything... So its seriously not a great idea to jump to conclusions and suggest someone may have/be conducting illegal activities...

Anyone can use whatever they want to incubate eggs in.

I wanted to try the water method and certainly don't have time to stuff around with things so it suited us to buy them with the grid already in place and the dividers...I don't understand what all the fuss is about.........

I've never used a Hovabator (man, even typing that name feels wrong ;)), but the incubator I have used is, I believe in the same style - An old fridge with a heat lamp up top, some shelves, a couple of fans and a microclimate thermostat.

Had nothing but 100% success out of it.

If the method you use works and you're happy with the amount of effort you have to put in for your method to work, who cares what method it is?

Seriously, people need to chill out.

I'm with you, Fay. And I honestly don't understand why subject of "which incubator is best?" has turned so gnarky over two threads. It's a shame.

I use the SIM method regularly but not the containers, Im too much of a cheap skate. Having using the method I will never go back to using a substrate again. Personally I hate suffering around with substrates and mixing rates. Ive never used a hoovabator, but cant see why anyone would they are expensive and too small for anyone who has more than one clutch. Before I used my current method (old bar fridge, heat cord, and thermostat) I was using an eskey with globes wired at the bottom and a row of dowels mid way up to sit containers on. I would probably give the SIM containers a go if they were say $10 - $15 borderlineish at $20.

In my view the substrate less method the SIM containers use is the way of the future much better than using a substrate mix.

Esky, heat source, fan, tub, incubation medium, eggs, knowledge = happy herper

Angst, conflict, commercial concerns= unhappy forum

My two penny's worth

Think I'll stick with people who keep live bearers. They seem more sane to me!

They are on the way bushfire. I also never wanted to battle over polycarbonate containers. I don't know how you can deduct that I think standard herps are inferior sham? We all keep standard animals, even I have favourite standard babies that I will never give away. As a breeder of high end stuff, I know that most high end breeders would not risk clutches of value, by using an incubator that might have a temperature spike! That's just common sense, especially green pythons, or albino olives. I do realise albino darwins are just melanin lacking carpet pythons. I have found that they are slightly different as hatchlings.

The sim will be at the wild expo, so come around and have a look. We might change a few minds about the product and you might just grab yourself a bargain.

The container is called S.I.M. Manufacturer is Squamata Concepts. And it's not just for incubating over water. It is name after the way the eggs are suspended in the air. The grid that they sit on does not touch any medium. I never thought this product would be so controversial.

I never realised that there were classes of Herp keepers - those who keep "high end species" (whatever that term is meant to mean....) and those that keep regular species.

Can someone please point me to a an authoritive list as to which is which? I'd hate to be keeping something outside my means or social status without knowing it...

I never thought this product would be so controversial.

I think the controversy stems from the international supplier and the Aus retailer talking up the product like it is the bees knees. It is like a passionate Coastal keeper trying to tell a passionate MD keeper that his species is better, when infact they are both pretty ordinary lol.

Personally I would prefer a GTP (Computer controlled heat/humidity incubator with domed lid containers and a flux capacitor) :lol:

The container is called S.I.M. Manufacturer is Squamata Concepts. And it's not just for incubating over water. It is name after the way the eggs are suspended in the air. The grid that they sit on does not touch any medium. I never thought this product would be so controversial.

Perhaps it's because of the spurious claims always being made with regard to their benefits.Things such as better hatch rates,stronger babies and quicker incubation times.

Have you tried them chondrogreen and ramsayi? I don't understand how somebody can have an opinion on something that they don't have any intention on trying out? And as I have said before ramsayi, you were one of the first to enquire about the product.

Stevo: There is no class system for snakeys. Some Breeders just breed animals with clutches worth tens of thousands of dollars, that is what I mean by high end breeders. These keepers can not take chances with faulty equipment. This also does not mean that their methods have to be state of the art. Even people with no experience can do it.

So how would you know if the claims are spurious if you have never tried these tubs ramsayi? Nothing can be said on a forum without it getting twisted into some insult to somebody!

Last edited:
Have you tried them chondrogreen and ramsayi? I don't understand how somebody can have an opinion on something that they don't have any intention on trying out? And as I have said before ramsayi, you were one of the first to enquire about the product.

Stevo: There is no class system for snakeys. Some Breeders just breed animals with clutches worth tens of thousands of dollars, that is what I mean by high end breeders. These keepers can not take chances with faulty equipment. This also does not mean that their methods have to be state of the art. Even people with no experience can do it.

Thanks for the explanation. Once upon a time it used to be about the love for the hobby, not the almighty $$. I like it as a hobby, lol - much less cut-throat and narky. If a breeding method works, regardless of the technology involved or the purported value of the clutch within, then I say stick with it. Not to say that the mouse-trap cant be improved, of course :)
I used to allow my geckos to lay in their enclosure and left the the eggs to incubate and hatch right where they were laid.. Yep - 100% success rate over a couple of years... Not that I'm recommending to do that.. :shock:

Thanks for the explanation. Once upon a time it used to be about the love for the hobby, not the almighty $$. I like it as a hobby, lol - much less cut-throat and narky. If a breeding method works, regardless of the technology involved or the purported value of the clutch within, then I say stick with it. Not to say that the mouse-trap cant be improved, of course :)

I agree, but its nice if you can pay back all that you have spent on your animals over a year period and get on top of your credit card after Christmas as well! The human race would not have been where it is if it was not for risk takers! Some like to try new things, some dont, thats just how it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back