Is it a good idea to put 2 different snakes together?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kodie

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey everyone. i have a 5ft+ Olive Python (wild one) and a 6ft Coastal Carpet Python. do you think it's a bad idea to put them together in the same enclosure?

cheers.

short answer , no

im also hoping the wild caught olive was caught by someone with the proper licence to do so ? other wise put your suit on

Last edited:
i got some pictures to prove you wrong if you want...

haha nar lol. it got caught in one of our quoll traps and got blind in 1 eye in the process... i have a letter from a vet saying it cannot be released into the wild. don't worry, i have the correct paper work for it.

well you said no and you said it was a bad idea so....

To answer ur question mate yes it can be done but no its not ideal. If its a case of not having enough room for one sell it. Im sure ud rather see it go to a good home than dead.

558392_4159774710053_1353777076_n.jpg

well considering the smaller one is or was wild means it wont attack the larger one. and the larger one is being feed frozen mice all it's life means it wont attack the smaller one....

haha nar lol. it got caught in one of our quoll traps and got blind in 1 eye in the process... i have a letter from a vet saying it cannot be released into the wild. don't worry, i have the correct paper work for it.

well you said no and you said it was a bad idea so....
yea but just because they might be in the same enclosure and doing ok now doesn't mean that you have proved any one wrong , you asked if its a good idea , you where told by most that no it isnt , just because you can do something doesn't make it a good idea

Thats good mate. Just a question why post this thread if apparently u are already a genius on the subject?

View attachment 258587

well considering the smaller one is or was wild means it wont attack the larger one. and the larger one is being feed frozen mice all it's life means it wont attack the smaller one....
oh yea , all good mate you seem to have it all worked out good luck

and yea wild snakes wont attack captive ones when put together everyone knows that:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: and yea feeding a snake a frozen mouse makes damn sure that it wont ever attack another snake , its a fool proof system :rolleyes::rolleyes:

(note major sarcasm if you couldn't tell )

i'm no genius.... i don't know much about snakes. i'm 16 not 30-40 so i'm no genius.... i was simply asking on what you thought about it? cause i've heard from other people that they've never seen 2 different snakes act like this...

Its never good with any snakes to pair them together unless they are the same breed (with an exception of king snakes). Putting a WC with a CB poses problems because a WC may have problems with parasites (some live in snakes that are good to boost their immune system from other sicknesses) and could easily give it to a CB snake that can not fight that off. Good luck with the desicion you choose. I know I have played around with the desicion and ultimately put both of my female ball python and redtail boa together and no one is sick and they are just fine. Good luck... and before anyone says anything, yes I am aware its dangerous to put a boa with a python because of the risk of IBD being given to my python but I have proof that she doesn't carry IBD

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

i'm no genius.... i don't know much about snakes. i'm 16 not 30-40 so i'm no genius.... i was simply asking on what you thought about it? cause i've heard from other people that they've never seen 2 different snakes act like this...

you know all the answers, why bother posting?

Thats good mate but all anyone has said is its not a good idea but if it is working for u than good on ya and it has been done a fair bit but also ended badly a fair few times.

As previously said good luck. However not recommended. Also ensure around feeding time that they are both full. If you do not then the larger one may look at the smaller one and think, decent sized meal, still smells like mice/rat! Delicious.
Also other thought pattern is disease? Was it properly quarantined? Each to their own.
Just keep a close eye on them.
hopefully it works out for you!

Go for it!

You will more than likely end up with a nice fat olive in the end! They dont mind
a feed of reptile or two!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back