Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy_Snake08

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I jsut finsished the thread on Jag's sounds interesting. I thought I would post something similar and that is, does anyone in Australia breed Albino's for designs/colours/patterns? Since they've just come readiily affordable, I'm imagining no one has really started with this endeavour...but I wouldn't know, that's why I want others opinions. Any pic's would be cool too!!

-settle

CrazySnake08 said:
breed Albino's for designs/colours/patterns?

Albinoism is a mutation where the black pigment melamin is lacking. Because of this, you're not going to get different colours, designs or patterns.

Yes, theres people with designer albino projects, for specific
colour and pattern combos in Albino Carpets.

Not a great deal you can do with patternless species like
olives though.

When Albino Womas (if rumors hold true) and spotted
pythons begin to surface, there'll be designer projects
for these species also.

Albinoism is a mutation where the black pigment melamin is lacking. Because of this, you're not going to get different colours, designs or patterns.

Yes you are. You can still breed for any pattern and colouring you like so long as it is not black. I've seen darwins that were almost entirely yellow to some that were green/yellow and red. Some exciting opportunities there.

waruikazi said:
Yes you are. You can still breed for any pattern and colouring you like so long as it is not black. I've seen darwins that were almost entirely yellow to some that were green/yellow and red. Some exciting opportunities there.

I stand corrected.

my 2 ,2yo albinos are opposites in colour.the male has intensly bright fluro oranges and yellows where the female is very pale with very few coloured bands.i cant wait to see what they will produce.

albino x axanthic = snow
albino x stripes
albino x reduced patterns

there will be a few different things in the future but you are looking at several generations which means at least 5-6 years.
jas

albino x axanthic = snow
albino x stripes
albino x reduced patterns

there will be a few different things in the future but you are looking at several generations which means at least 5-6 years.
jas

the albino x axanthic would be interesting and expect this one to happen rather soon, only issue is is that it would be a hybrid. hows peoples takes on this? who would be interested in buying one if it was a varigatax mcdowelli??

the albino x axanthic would be interesting and expect this one to happen rather soon, only issue is is that it would be a hybrid. hows peoples takes on this? who would be interested in buying one if it was a varigatax mcdowelli??

Designer snakes are the thing of the future. In the next 10-20 years people will own snakes like they own goldfish or corn snakes in the US. No one will care what they are just what they look like. I say more power to the designs.

i understand that it will happen, i know its happening now, i find it rather ironic that people are some what starting to except hybrids abit more. personally i prefer to keep it pure but as said id also buy for looks as long as i new what it was. for now ill stay with me pure and local animals there is enough to keep me occupied there.

There's plenty of potential for different morphs without the need to cross them.As mentioned you have striped darwins,possibly ghost darwins,melanistic darwins,hypo darwins.I got a very very dark female Darwin from Matt Bonnet to put my male albino over who has very very light colouring opposed to the bright fluro types and am hoping eventually they will produce very reduced yellow or high white albinos.That's a long term project and I'm hoping to get albinos next season fingers crossed.

Maybe someone will have axanthic darwins without even knowing it but I'm quite sure many people are or have already crossed sub species and it's bound to happen more and more which is a shame as some will be hard to tell if pure darwins or not ???

I think it's a huge step forward. I think this is the first time I have seen the "hybrid" word mentioned, and the discussion has stayed civil. Pure is wonderful, and I love the pure lines, but some of the crosses/hybrids can be stunning. As long as I knew what I was getting, I would buy one. I think it boils down to honesty of the seller. A good portion of people that own reptiles, do so because they want a pet. And when buying a "pet".. they want a pretty one.
Snows may mean crossing different subspecies... but hey.. I'd buy one!

Was just looking through old threads and came across this one that I found particularly interesting.

I'd love to know how many people out there are actually in the process of working on different morphs with the albino darwins. I guess many would be keeping their projects secret but thought I'd ask anyway.

I was wondering about the hypermelanistic darwin that snake ranch has? Would that have any morph potential if introduced to the albino line or would it just have a similar outcome to an axanthic albino cross, or no difference to normal albinos?

Has anyone produced ghost darwin hets, or even ghost albinos? Could someone enlighten me as to the genetics/characteristics of the ghosts?

Sorry for all the questions! it just seems that this going to be a major area of focus for breeders in the future. I'm also interested in purchasing some albinos so thought I'd get an understanding of whats out there.

Cheers
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back