'Learning how to get bit', ie: I'm a freaking pansy =(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with those who have said alcohol is a good way...just get some Dutch courage and see how you go :p

I'm with you Fester!!!! LOL
As for flinching or jumping when she moves towards you or strikes, whatever, it's a natural inbred human condition, one is under attack, so to speak, so one reacts..................... normal, and with time and a few more lunges or bites, the urge to jump or flinch should fade.

I was terrified of snakes... like I couldn't even look at one even behind glass! Never did I think I would have a snake for a pet!

I now have a 6 month old coastal! When I got her I wasn't worried at all she was so placid but the day after I got her home she struck at me! I thought it was all over, that it was a mistake to get her and I'd have to sell her cause I was too nervous around her! I felt like a bad mum and so embarrassed.

I then remembered that I’d told myself that I’d probably get bitten at some stage and just needed to get over it. I too every time I wanted to go in and get her out started shaking nervously and if she moved forward I’d jump back. Think we were just as scared of each other! After being bitten I knew it didn’t hurt it was more that I was scared of her striking at me and hating me.

So I spoke to my friend who has two very beautiful tempered snakes who helped me. She told me if I leave her alone after she bites its teaching bad behaviour and that the more I get her out and handle her, the quicker she’ll settle down. All I did was thought about that and put the thought of her striking out of my mind while getting her out. Each time it got easier and she’s never bitten or striken at me again. It hasn’t taken me or her long to settle down.

She just warns but I let her know I'm there and slowly get my hand close to her she moves her head away and I pick her up. She still gets a little crazy but settles down quickly and loves coming out. I understand her now and I’m sure if you just keep at it you’ll learn to understand your snake too! All the Best!

Hi rosequoll,

I am exactly the same. We have had snakes before, a childrens python and a 5ft diamond python and I was never nervy about them biting because they were placid as but we have just purchased a diamond hatchling and the same thing happens to me. I pump myself up to get him out and then he 'looks' at me funny and I wimp out. My hubby goes on and on to get over it but that doesn't really help.
The best thing I have found is to use a small hook to get him out of the enclosure with and put him onto my hand and still kind of use the hook abit to help move him around if I start to get a bit nervy. Each time I get him out I get more and more confident and use the hook less and less. Don't know if that helps at all, but good luck and your not the only one.:D

So funny, this is exactly what I do! Our first snake has never bitten, so I have got into a sense of security about snakes. Now our Bredli is really nippy and I always wimp out at the last moment and get my husband to take her out while I clean her enclosure! Pretty crap considering I am the one who has pushed to get both snakes!

Its not the bite that worries me so much, I just take it a bit personally! I've never had a pet that has bitten me before and I can't help but get a bit upset that she doesn't love me enough... :(

I have 2 darwins ..one would never bite ,,but the female was crazy..just keep takin her out ..and in time and ages it will all change...they will stop all that and calm down! remember your HUGE to them and they dont know u yet..and dont understand u dont mean them harm!
Mine r both amazing now..dont worry u will never look back on buying a second 1,.,best move i ever made:)
enjoy them man there so much fun!

"The problem is, I'm still scared of getting bit, to the point of being a bit panicky when asked to grab her head to restrain her when I got her sexed, or when she gets a bit pissy and starts flailing a bit when she doesn't want to be held."

This part of your post is a concern. Why are you handling a snake that doesnt want to be held. All that is doing is stressing the snake out, not good for its health.
If you are so scared of being bitten then why are you getting another one. It is asking for trouble. What happens if you "flinch" and drop the snake. One injured snake on you hands. Perhaps you should have gotten over this fear before getting any snake. Im not having a go just concerned for the animals welfare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back