Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its best to ask dumb questions than to make dumb mistakes.

Just because its been 50years since you've last asked a dumb question :p ....you were new to reptiles once. Now its our turn to ask all the dumb questions that you once asked.

And I am yet to find a decent website that has all the answers. I have found bugger-all information about my interest. Besides, it makes it more fun to be able to learn among a group of ppl who are interested in talking about herps.
Kathy :)

glacey said:
Gunnie101 said:
I never said 'stupid questions' - but simple questions. I don't blame the people asking them, but question why they need to use a forum like this to do it.

Shouldn't they be aware of these things 'prior' to gaining a licence - for the animals sake if nothing else.

You can only learn so much from a text book. Where can anybody get any hands-on experience? If there are any Reptile Husbandry courses there either too far out of ppl's way, too expensive, or ppl's enrolments get knocked back because they don't have any previous experience. I have tried enrolling in Animal Husbandry courses before, only to be knocked back because I didn't have any previous "official" experience. But I am not letting that decide that I'm not good enough to have a pet. These forums seem to be the only places where one can learn all the things that books don't cover.
Kathy :)

good thread glacey,
i agree with what you have asked, but i think a few members are missing your point, it's not about "should newbys ask questions or how silly the questions are" it's about the fact that the people on this site ARE asking so many simple questions and have every right to do so, but what about all THOSE that aren't members on a reptile forum, who is going to help them when they need help, for this reason the licence system should be looked at,
i take my hat off to the new members that ask questions, and i will help any time i can, but i also have to agree with nome that you see members that only a few weeks or months earily were asking simple questions and now they are giving answers to questions i would find hard to answer, it's these members that do most harm to new members,

i don't think new owners should stop asking questions, it's the reptiles of the ones that DON'T ask the questions or can't ask that worries me,

before i get flamed, i have and will help out anybody that wants help, and still help out new owners that bought snakes from me 6 months ago that aren't members of any herp sites, but i've also had buyers come back time after time and tell me their snake isn't eating, when i ask the normal questions i find out they have ignored my advice time and time again and did things their way,

just my bucks worth,

cheers,
steve.............

Keep asking the seemingly stupid questions I say, It can do nothing but benifet the reptiles concerned.

some interesting points but at the end of the day, there are just as many idiots who dont know how to check their dogs for fleas, or have their cats desexed.... i as a newbie would welcome an induction course or forced training, however this is not the case, so instead we have Herp clubs to join and books to read.....there will ALWAYS be idiots who cant handle Owning a pet or are unprepared for it...go take a look at the RSPCA...or worse still the Mothers lining up at Centrelink.....i think by comparison most Herp owners, newbs or pro's, are aware of the task they have signed up for....but all the same there are always going to be questions which seem silly to a seasoned veteran....as well read as I am, I would have no problems asking a "stupid" question if I was worried about my pet....Im sure if you track down an online maternity site you will find a bunch of what you consider silly questions, but go ask your Mum if she read all the books on childbearing or signed up for a mother's course.....hrmmph I smell elitism just hope you havent scared off the newbs who were already feeling self conscious about their fears.....how can you possibly diss these questions when they are asked for no purpose than to better the life of these creatures which you are obviously passionate about?....Ive been reading these posts for 5 hours straight...iove spent less hours cramming for Uni finals.....and that opening comment almost smells like elitism

alienpunk said:
some interesting points but at the end of the day, there are just as many idiots who dont know how to check their dogs for fleas, or have their cats desexed.... i as a newbie would welcome an induction course or forced training, however this is not the case, so instead we have Herp clubs to join and books to read.....there will ALWAYS be idiots who cant handle Owning a pet or are unprepared for it...go take a look at the RSPCA...or worse still the Mothers lining up at Centrelink.....i think by comparison most Herp owners, newbs or pro's, are aware of the task they have signed up for....but all the same there are always going to be questions which seem silly to a seasoned veteran....as well read as I am, I would have no problems asking a "stupid" question if I was worried about my pet....Im sure if you track down an online maternity site you will find a bunch of what you consider silly questions, but go ask your Mum if she read all the books on childbearing or signed up for a mother's course.....hrmmph I smell elitism just hope you havent scared off the newbs who were already feeling self conscious about their fears.....how can you possibly diss these questions when they are asked for no purpose than to better the life of these creatures which you are obviously passionate about?....Ive been reading these posts for 5 hours straight...iove spent less hours cramming for Uni finals.....and that opening comment almost smells like elitism

Well said ditto

Say what you want, us newbies have to start somewhere and if the questions we ask seem stupid then don't respond.
I have worked with animals for over 15 years and belive me, experience comes from asking quesions (stupid, simple or other), not from reading a book.Books are fantastic for reference, but don't always answer your peticular question. Mind you i do own a copy of that was mentioned earlier. I find this site gives you REAL answers from REAL people with REAL experience.

I'm new here and new reps and may have asked a simple 1 or 2 myself. But I will admit a licence was rather easy to obtain and a short course couldn't hurt! Any extra info at the start helps.

i got my license today and i want to get some geckos but i already asked every1 what i need to know for a good setup and care before i get them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back