Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read the last few pages Jess and am in shock... You seem pretty strong about it all to your credit.. Have they offered you a full refund and additional costs as well as new reptiles. I think they have had 2 goes at it and both been major fails, its time to depart from them. Very disappointing as it was a great shop years gone by...Had already organised to sell this years Blueys to them but this will not occur now. Hopefully you get a corker of a breeder and have many years of reptile joy from it, goodluck

Its a nice offer and all, but id try and get a refund if i were you. I'm sure a breeder whos been following the thread will give you a deal, if they havn't already offered.

But its up to you if you want to give the store a THIRD try

I'm not sure wat to do as i don't think they will give me a refund i think that's y they are offering me another snake and also a beardie, and i don't wanna ask for a refund in case they refuse and then also take back their offer of the snake and beardie, then i end up with nothing! I'm thinking 3rd time lucky??? all their reptiles couldn't possibly have something wrong with them could they? Ive seen the one i originally got off them that i took back coz it had mites and is doing really well, no mites and is currently shedding, so I'm thinking i might take him back along with a baby beardie? not sure thou, I'm still thinking bout it! :?

I'm another that has been following this thread, just an awful experience for you, my sympathies.

Keep in mind that the shop probably buys their reptiles at 1/2 to 1/3 of the price they sell them for (I know the shop I used to work at did). So by offering you animals they're getting off cheaper than by refunding the money etc. If it were me, I wouldn't take it, I'd want my money back and go and get a reptile from a private breeder. I just wouldn't risk another awful incident like this. Just my opinion of course - there will be lots of people on both sides but ultimately it's your decision.

I hope whichever way you go, your future reptiles are all happy and healthy and you become as addicted as the rest of us. :)

but then that will be the last snake i get from a pet shop, after that it will be from breeders, as this wont be the one and only snake i get! Im looking to get a couple more down the track!!! :D:D

A a ruptured bowel could just be put down to sheer bad luck or some kind of defect from hatching both of which you couldn't blame on the petshop.If they are offering to replace and not refund then take the offer.Make sure you thoroughly check out the snake for overall health,mites etc before bringing it home.

jeezz, what rotten luck. i just spent nearly an hour reading every post.... so sorry this has happened.

imo, id go with what the petshop is offering. just check the snake, and the beardie, very thoroughly and make sure nothing is wrong with it. check out everything in its enclosure as well, what substrate it has, if its clean or dirty, ect. ect.

in the end though, its your choice.

make sure you show us some pics when you get your next snake :)

I just bought a snake yesterday... after reading this entire thread for the first time... you have truely made me appreciate how special these creatures are...

my heart goes out to you and may your next snake be healthy and bring joy to you.

Jinke

thanks for the updates Jess, Part of me thinks if they still have your original snake and it is looking well, and they have offered the beardie (for the vet bill) , then go for it, my sensible side says 'once bitten twice shy'........

One thing to think about though.. I would be emptying your existing enclosure and washing it (and everytihing you had in it ) giving it a good wash with hot water with a splash of bleach. Leave it out in the sun, without the glass sliding doors on it and let it air thoroughly for a couple of days to totally eliminate any fumes or remaining spray on the surfaces that may be hanging about since you sprayed it for mites. You've had such a battle in the last few weeks, i'd hate to see it suffer from residues or fumes.

and its worth noting that the beardie will have a lot more running costs, both financially and time wise, than your snake, and with young children around make sure you keep washing and sanitising your hands.

sorry to appear to be lecturing but I'm a mum of 2 girls your age (one of whom is also named Jessica) and i can't help but be concerned about how you've been treated

Best of luck Jess, keep us posted

thanx everyone!! i will probably take them up on the offer and i am in the middle of cleaning everything from top to bottom! i have owned beardies before and i do understand they financially cost a little more than a snake but im okay with that, and i always wash my hands after handling any animals whether it be reptiles or cats and dogs! i know the basics of looking after reptiles as i did own 2 snakes about 4-5 years ago, a vic & dariwn, the vic was around 5ft & the darwin 6ft! they were great snakes!!

Hello jessica from reading your posts i think she was poisioned i just had my carpet put down because the house was sprayed what you said sounded very much like what my girl was doing i had no vets that dealt with reptiles but a good friend of mine had contacts at taronga zoo and they gave me lots of info but they said her chances were zero we tried for 4 weeks and lots of drugs but nothing worked i learnt a very hard lesson she was my first snake too and i will never trust anyone again when it comes to chemicals

Stormus, do you mind my asking what product the house had been sprayed with? It could serve as a warning to others and your misfortune could help others to become aware of the dangers.
Thanks in advance.

make sure you get the most expensive snake in the shop if they have some juvie bhp get one lol

lol, they are getin sum juvie bhp's in but they are asking bout $850 for em, so i doubt they will agree to give me one of those!?

If the snake was active at shop but not at your home it has to be environmental its a tropical snake so try spraying water into the cage to create a wet fog if it does not improve take it back to shop and see if it recovers to normal again and find out what they are doing and you are not it may be just a very sensitive snake if so leave it at shop and get a new one.

paman77 way not to read the thread:p

they should you went through all that and 850 aint to bad for a bhp i paid 1200 for mine.

id seriously consider it and if they kick up a stink just remind them of what you went through. i can honestly say from my expiriance that bhps are one of the most awsome snakes to own (and the queensland variety are absolutly stunning imo) they are almost bullet proof eat everything and are generally fairly well natured.

i have or have had several of almost every carpet speices with the exceptions of md, darwins and coastals and personally i think a bhp is a better beggining snake than any of em the one thing i feel that deters most people is the price.
jmo tho

If the snake was active at shop but not at your home it has to be environmental its a tropical snake so try spraying water into the cage to create a wet fog if it does not improve take it back to shop and see if it recovers to normal again and find out what they are doing and you are not it may be just a very sensitive snake if so leave it at shop and get a new one.

Will the "wet fog" bring it back to life ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back