Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lts good to see that someone like shellfisch agrees with me, and see's where l am coming from in this debate about cross breeding, from the way l see things here its all about money such as how can l make a profit or quick buck on the side, not for the love and passion as it use to be 1995 and beyond.:p

Why do people always think that hybrids are going to be worth big money. They are interesting to look at and some are pretty, but most at this stage are average.

It will be 2-4 generations before quality hybrids are produced. People who are prepared to put in the time to produce quality hybrids and cop the flaming in doing so, are in it for the love. Anyone prepared to put 5 or more years into breeding average hybrids and line breeding are doing it for the love. Their certainly not going to make any money getting to that point.

Although all nice looking, the 1st one just looks like an intergrade, and the 'red phase' will likely turn out looking nothing different. Same as some intergrades and coastals are born red and just turn out normal.

I don't mind hybrids, but if you just end up with something intergrade looking you might aswell just breed intergrades =p.

Here is some information in regards to inter-breeding wildlife including reptiles here in victoria, that l found in my document outlining the wildlife regulations 2002 regulatory impact statement.
ls says a person is not permitted to inter-breed wildlife that do not natually inter-breed in the wild, this discourages from artificially breeding different sub-species that do not normally inter-breed, the progeny of which may lead to gene pollution of wild populations of a given taxa.:)

Last edited:
I haven't seen any really nice hybrids in a while... I have seen nice pure diamonds and pure jungles than the hybrids in this thread, so I don't see the point in muddying the line with things that would most like be sold as jungles. I guess it's a whole different thing in the UK though.

No l don't think this is the way of the future, lets try and protect our Australian Python's, by keeping them close to nature and pure as possible, so they to have a future to look forward to, and future generations of us humans can also get to see and enjoy what we all have in our life.:)

Thats my opinion.:p

Morilla are naturally able to cross... Therefore if people want to make interesting crosses and perfect them, then shouldn't it be their choice? It does nothing bad to the environment and should be embraced. The reason the US has so many nice ball Pythons is because of cross breeding. Wait... the reason all the dog breeds exist is...... cross breeding! If it was up to true pure breeder, all we would have would be dingo's, wolfs etc.

Also, we are selective breeding our pure breeds anyway, so were not getting anything like we would see in the wild. Have you ever seen a colony of hypo Bredli's in central Australia?

All the 'big' and experienced breeders know exactly that this is true, I wont name them or i'll get booted off. But I agree with them, when they say "i want to breed the pures, and the designers"

Just cause people are experimenting with cross breeding Morillas does not mean the original species are going to be extinct from the face of the earth. In fact, there will always be "pure breeds".

Anyway, those crosses are awesome junglecarpet, Though I'm not the biggest fan of diamond crosses lol. I like the bredli X jungle tho, it looks Uber.

Why do people always think that hybrids are going to be worth big money. They are interesting to look at and some are pretty, but most at this stage are average.

It will be 2-4 generations before quality hybrids are produced. People who are prepared to put in the time to produce quality hybrids and cop the flaming in doing so, are in it for the love. Anyone prepared to put 5 or more years into breeding average hybrids and line breeding are doing it for the love. Their certainly not going to make any money getting to that point.

Thats exactly right! Your not going to make the next big thing by breeding to random snakes, it takes years of breeding!

If i wanted to make a quick buck I would buy a pair of albino's and soak in the profits.

ls says a person is not permitted to inter-breed wildlife that do not natually inter-breed in the wild, this discourages from artificially breeding different sub-species that do not normally inter-breed, the progeny of which may lead to gene pollution of wild populations of a given taxa.:)

I've said this before but in my opinion people who's snakes escape are potentially doing more damage to wild populations through gene pollution, yet there is rarely flaming of these people in the typical "Oh No my snake has escaped threads" . According to the above law we shouldn't be able to keep any wildlife that isn't native to the area which we live for fear of "gene pollution of wild populations"

Ben

LOL, I agree......can't wait for some stunning animals in the years to come. As Barramundi said, their very average ATM, but like the pure bred morphs that are selective bred for their traits, it will come.... Just enjoy the animals for what they are.....we all love snakes...so enjoy guys!!!...LOL
I don't think these are that special though....JMO ;)

They are interesting to look at and some are pretty, but most at this stage are average.

What's the point of crossing something if it doesn't look any different?

l agree whats the point of cross-breeding if it doesn't look any different to the pure phase Carpet and Diamond Python's out in the wild.

l think its only the young herpers out there that are so keen to cross-breed our beautiful native Carpet & Diamond Python's, so they can look and feel good like a professional Herpetologist, and say look at me l have created something different that no-one else has ever done aren't l cool or good.:).

They will never ever get one cent out of my wallet cause l wont support them by purchasing their hypo's or crosse's when they try to sell any of their hatchlings or juveniles.

Least you cannot cross-breed a Olive Python cause there is only one sub-specie found in Pilbara and Gascoyne Regions of WA, that are not on licence and you cannot collect them from the wild on a take from the wild permit in WA, so how else will you get hold of one or two of the sub-specie Olive Python-Liasis Olivaceus Barroni, without taken them from the wild illegaly.

So l will just stick to my beautiful Olive Python's least l know l wont end up with either crosses or hypos.:D

BrownDxJ_081604.jpg

There's no way that is "red phase" Diamond X jungle it DEFINITELY has plenty of Bredli in there.

They are only guessing that the animal is a
''50/50 jungle diamond'' they don't bloody
know what it is ,that is the whole problem with
hybrids eventually you wont know what you have.

Hypo's, you do realise a hypo is a naturally occurring pure mutation ?

"So l will just stick to my beautiful Olive Python's least l know l wont end up with either crosses or hypos."

Morilla are naturally able to cross... Therefore if people want to make interesting crosses and perfect them, then shouldn't it be their choice? It does nothing bad to the environment and should be embraced. The reason the US has so many nice ball Pythons is because of cross breeding. Wait... the reason all the dog breeds exist is...... cross breeding! If it was up to true pure breeder, all we would have would be dingo's, wolfs etc.

Also, we are selective breeding our pure breeds anyway, so were not getting anything like we would see in the wild. Have you ever seen a colony of hypo Bredli's in central Australia?

All the 'big' and experienced breeders know exactly that this is true, I wont name them or i'll get booted off. But I agree with them, when they say "i want to breed the pures, and the designers"

Just cause people are experimenting with cross breeding Morillas does not mean the original species are going to be extinct from the face of the earth. In fact, there will always be "pure breeds".

Anyway, those crosses are awesome junglecarpet, Though I'm not the biggest fan of diamond crosses lol. I like the bredli X jungle tho, it looks Uber.

I'm a little bit confused with what you're trying to say. Morphs in ball pythons are still 100% ball python. My pastel ball python is still a ball python. As I understood it, hybrids were crosses between different breeds or localities of species, not different genetics of the same species.
So, are Jungles and Diamonds two morphologies in genetics? Or are they two different localities or species?
Breeding morphs together has no effect on the species (usually) unless they were planned to be released. Breeding different species can pose health issues and problems.

Back to the original topic, I like the two patterns, but I personally prefer stripes myself.

blackcrystal22, Diamond and Jungle Carpet Python's are both sub-species that come from different localities here in Eastern Australia.

Bushfire, you say your aware of 5 collections that have access to the 2 sub-species of Olive Python, are you willing to proove that to me how they came about getting the Liasis Olivaceus Barroni legally on permit, if not then l say they may have taken them from the wild illegaly without a take from the wild permit in WA.

Can't this girl show us some pics of snakes, without all of you starting what will eventually turn into an aggressive 7 page debate, that she never intended it to be?

Apart from that, hybrids, are going to become more popular, people will buy them, it is going to happen, just like you can insure that the same members of APS will always start on about how hybrids are going to kill every pure python in Australia, and not the idiotic keepers that may get their hands on them. A hybrid captive snake does not pose any harm to aussie wildlife, its the keepers that do, so how about you all go hunt them down instead of ruining every thread junglejaguar starts with your repetitive ranting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back