Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

entoalexa

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any advice on jungle pythons?
Male or female?

what are their respective personalities like and how do each take to handling?
also, pattern wise, how are male and female respectively?

Cheers

I like female, so when she is being a bit feisty i can relate to her as a certain "B" word.

Pattern i dont think is decided by the sex.
Color however can be, the males seem to have a brighter yellow in my past experience.

haha nice nice.
what about being handled? how does each behave?

Would you recommend them as a first snake?

Honestly a jungle was my first.

And I wouldn't recommend one to as a first. I have found them temperamental and feisty.

A better python would be a Bredli if you are after a unique snake especially the hypo version.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4 Beta

excuse my ignorance but i was under the impression that jungles were a subset of bredlis
could you straighten this out for me?

Coastal : Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli
Jungle : Morelia Spilota Cheynei
Diamond : Morelia Spilota Spilota
South West : Morelia Spilota Imbricata
Inland : Morelia Spilota Metcalfei
Darwin : Morelia Spilota Variegata
Bredli or centrillian : Morelia Bredli

Pythonidae is the Family, Morelia is the Genus which Jungles, Bredlis, Coastals, GTP's etc all fall under. You then move to the Species which comes to Spilota for the "Carpet" pythons of which Jungle's are a subspecies (Morelia spilota cheynei) however Bredli are a species to their own being Morelia bredli. So Jungle's are a subspecies (I assume what you meant by subset) of the Carpet Python's.

I have a male and female jungle, the male seems to be more feisty than the female, who just chills and lazes about all day.
The male is more energetic and cage defensive.

I have a brother & sister pair of half jungles about 18 months old - the male is more likely to strike me, but to be honest I trust them about equally as far as that goes. Him I expect to, her I don't, and they're about 50/50 on whether they do or not.
That said they've settled down a whole lot in the last six months and I think I've only been tagged by each of them once in that time...
Other than that they're identical as far as handling, general temperament and behavior.
To me this tends to lead me to believe overall temperament is more to do with how they're raised(handled, fed, housed ect) rather than whether they're simply male or female.

i have 2 jungles one female hatchie and a male yearling, female is a bit flighty but has not struck me yet, male has struck alot wen younger but these days he is ok and does not strike wen i get him out but bit my nephew a month ago.

jungles are well known as feisty snakes but they are also stunning, especially the high yellows and black and whites.

i have not noticed any colour difference between males and females, both my male and female have great patterns.

I've got a female devil/krauss and a Male striped . the female has only bitten me once by mistake when i was feeding her. My bad. otherwise shes never Striked at me (2.5 yrs) and the striped i got last night is cage protective but once hes out he's fine. I think it depends on the parents nature as to how the offspring's temperament is.

I got a male jungle as my first and he was a shocker to begin with. He would bite all the time as a hatchling but you just need to keep at it. He is by far my best snake now and I have jungles of both sexes. I don't see a difference in colour or pattern either. I say get what you want (which is what I did) and expect to get bit. they are snakes its what they do. Most people would say get an anteresia (childrens, spotteds) they don't bite a much and are more docile. I got done by two childrens on the same day the other week and a spotted yesterday so you just have to expect it. So in conclusion get what you want don't let people tell you otherwise because they are all different but expect to get bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back