Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakeluvver

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I heard somewhere that you should regualry measure your python. However, I cant get my snake to stay straight! Tips?

Use a long piece of string or thin rope. Start at the nose and work ur way along the spine to the end of the tail. Then tie a knot at the tail end and then you can measure and record the length. A month or two or three later repeat process. After a year or two you'll have a long string with knots along it and you can see the progress.

Ok thanks. I had him in a bath tub with a tape measure and he was probably like, what the hell? :D

Quote: Ok thanks. I had him in a bath tub with a tape measure and he was probably like, what the hell? :D

ha ha ha ha cute..... Thanks heaps for posting this question, this was going to be my next post. I have been measuring my girl's skin but this is inaccurate because the skin has naturally been stretched. Over the past year or so I have just been weighing her after each shed. She's about 8.5kg atm. I will give the string thing a shot just so I know how long she actually is.

Quote: (herp measure) its an easy to use program that uses a pic to measure the snake.

Cool I haven't heard of this one before...

really? you scan the snake and it measures it?

you just take a picture of your snake from above with something that you know the length of (ruler, broom something like that) and you use that to measure your snake....really quick and easy after a few practice runs

edit: its free too!!

There is another one i just cant find the site for it now, its a little better than this one it allows you to zoom and do other things to the pic

Last edited:
I just measure there shed skin I dont like forching my snakes or make them uncomfortably

Quote: Ok thanks. I had him in a bath tub with a tape measure and he was probably like, what the hell? :D

ha ha ha ha cute..... Thanks heaps for posting this question, this was going to be my next post. I have been measuring my girl's skin but this is inaccurate because the skin has naturally been stretched. Over the past year or so I have just been weighing her after each shed. She's about 8.5kg atm. I will give the string thing a shot just so I know how long she actually is.

8.5kgs of what? :shock:

Herpmeasure is great, but you need to take the photos correctly to get an accurate measurement. You need the snake to be parralel to the lens and also at equal distance to the object being used for scale. Taking the photo from the maximum practical distance will help minimise distortion to as the image will be flatter as rather than curved as you would get with a fish eye lense.

I occasionally take photos of things in a way that they can be measured later if for some reason measurements are wanted or useful to someone else. With 99% of captive reptiles i think record keeping and measuring is pointless but thats JMO.

Earlier in the year I posted a thread on using a photocopier to measure your snake.

There were several other creative sugestions on that post, have a search for it.

I have a couch that sits against the wall, they normally straighten right out along the top part that is flush against the wall. Normally takes me 30 seconds or so and I don't need to force them into a position or anything. That program sounds very interesting though.

here's a pic showing the results of the measurement using swaddo's program, you set the unit length (ruler) then start at the nose/tail and work along the spine placing points and it automatically measures the distance, took less than 5 mins to do this pic.

Attachments

• 12-6-10measured.jpg
    12-6-10measured.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 79
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back