Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peterjohnson64

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I have had my Diamond Python for over 9 years now. It's funny that a pet is like a wife. Sometimes you just forget how beautiful they are. I actually got her before the amnesty and was told her parents were a diamond & a carpet.

I fed her a rat today and noticed that she was a good looking snake (to me anyway, I know I am biased).

I have raised her since a hatchling and she has lived most of her life outside enduring days as hot as 44 degrees and nights as cold as -4.5 degrees (Yes, these are the actual hottest & coldest days in 9 years - it doesn't always get like that). I have never bought her in for winters and never provided artificial heat. Only recently was I advised not to feed her wild food so her diet of Indian Mynahs, Starlings and local rats has only just stopped. She's like the person who drinks and smokes & lives to 90.

I had actually sold her a few months ago for $250 but the guy never turned up. I am kind of happy about that now.

I bought her inside recently and she got mites. I cleared them up so out she went again. Much easier.

great to see that the big girls loving the weather, her food and the extreams, natures doing alright hey!?!

She's a beautiful looking snake Peter.

It's hard to see any Carpet in her.
Do you know what subspecies of Carpet she was a hybrid of?
I'm guessing it was a mcdowelli, with the mid body lateral striping she displays.

Thanks for sharing the pics & her story. :)

P.S - Thanks for helping reduce the population of pests.
Did you ever have problems with worms/parasites :?:
Was she wormed regularly?

Hey Drew, I have always fed her when I felt like it or when I found a mynah bird in the fire palce. She is about 7 feet long. I dont even know for sure that she is a she. Its just that I recently got a male and they are very friendly. But they could be gay, I don't know.

But with the feeding, I have never overfed her. She would rarely get more than a feed each fortnight.

She is beautiful! What's her name? I can't believe you were going to sell her!

Her name is "Serp" Lily. she is a snappy little buggar. some guy posted a "wanted to buy" and so I responded.

I can see the Carpet in her, she's very blotched and has a lateral stripe, and her head reminds me of a carper.

What a lovely story Peter, I just can't imagine how you would of ever even thought of selling her/him!
I have a beautiful diamond named Cleopatra, she is only about four but I just love her sooo much!
I would sell every reptile we own (and we have many) before I would ever even think about selling her!

She is a beauty whatever she is!

"She's like the person who drinks and smokes & lives to 90."

PMSL

Thanks Sherm!

It's late, some spelling errors are bound to creep in!

:p

Hix

Not 100% certain it is an intergrade, but that's beside the point. It's a gorgeous snake, and $250 is a bargain - you've got to agree with that! If there's even a possiblilty of it being an intergrade, then obviously I wouldn't be breeding from it - but that doesn't mean I can't own something attractive.

Truth be known, one of the birds I would love to get is a King Parrot/Redwing Parrot hybrid - a male - which are absolutely spectacular.

:p

Hix

Hay Hixey,

As you can see, I have been running around with reptiles for many years. But as NSW has never allowed advertising I didn't know about prices and breeders etc. I only had a few mates. I eventually found these internet forums and that has let me learn heaps more about the hobby. I have learned 10 times as much in the last 4 months than I learned in 20 years of keeping reptiles.

So when I agreed to sell my snake for $250 I had no ieda whether that was a good price or a bad price. I bough ti ti for $50 so I was happy enough. You may remember that I once posted a thread on a reptile price list. That is the reason I did this. Oh, BTW I have since registered www.aissiepetprices.com and I have a programmer writing the site for me next month. It will be a totally free database of advertised prices.

Anyway, that all said, clearly my snake is no longer for sale. And who would want a 9 year old anyway? Surely she is on her last legs? Although some has said they will live to 20? who knows? Serpentongue or peterrescue I guess.

Oh, btw, if it is not an intergrade the it's father snuck in under cover of darkness and snuck out again. But it's possibly a diamond/high diamond intergrade cross. No guarantees that the carpet part was full carpet.

For that age Pete she has held her colours extremely well and is one of the nicest i've seen for that age and size. My origianal diamond i left in the care of my uncle when i joined the job market and had to move interstate of so many years ago (14-15yrs) is still going strong but has faded to almost black and the rossetts are hard to make out now. Diamonds are like a good wine with their personalities as they mature with age.

hi peter,
you sure she's not for sale, i'll give you $250.00 plus pay the freight, lol, i'd love it in my collection if it was a male, i have a very nice intergrade female just waiting for a male, lol,
i'm no expert, but my guess is that you are about right with the breeding,
diamond/intergrade cross, still a ripper snake,

cheers,
steve.......

as they mature with age.

Really yommy :lol: :lol:

I know what you mean mate :wink: :lol: :lol:

Very wet here mate. Storms every night since chrissy. None of the boys on shift have seen any snakes so I think they are high and dry somewhere. I've finished Bobs' hide and will post a pic soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back