Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sammyj

Not so new Member
Reaction score
well, she started out at my brothers snake. She is a Gulf Stimson about 40cm long, i guess about 12 months old?.... and she is friggin psycho!! she has bitten every time she handles and so he (my brother) has never really handled her.

She sometimes strikes as us through her tank... i want to be able to handle her and clean her tank more regularly but im heaps scared of her

how can i get her to be a little more friendly??

just handle it, let it know your no threat and she will calm down, but saying that they are not a cat or dog that likes attention, they are solitary animals

he did say it was snappy for his brother so it wont be the change of scenery, its only small its bites wont hurt just take it like a man and it should settle but as chris said it might just end up being a look dont touch snake

hmmmm... you might just need to bite the bullet and grab him out and get it used to your scent. How long since it has been fed?

im heaps scared of her

This is a 40cm snake right?

What are you going to do when you get a real snake? ;)

As Chris said, leave it alone to settle for a couple of weeks and get yourself a small snake hook.

Also try not to startle it when you approach it.

Be courteous and introduce yourself first. Don't just go in for the grab.

IsK

i wouldnt say that they really care if your scared, doesnt bother mine one bites no matter wat and the other never bite

The sweat on a cloth idea seems like its wortha try,

I dont know if thats small for her, im not exactly sure how old she is, or exactly how long she is.... because im scared to touch her... haha

I dont know what shes like out of her enclosure, because she doesnt come out, because she isnt allowed... because she bites.... EVERYTHING.... like she strikes at flippin anything

I have heard that feeding her more might work? she might be biting because shes hungry? is that possible?

also. im not a boy.

Try wearing a pair of leather garden gloves to get it out of the enclosure alot of snakes won't bite leather gloves. Once you have held it for a few minutes, take the gloves off and your hands will still smell like leather and the snake may or may not bite. Put the snake next to your bed so it can get used to you slowly, this has worked for me on alot of my cranky snakes, some never calm down, but a Stimy should be calm.

haha 40cm is pretty big for me!! I dont know what im going to do when she gets bigger though, which is why im trying to do something about it now.

Her name is fluffy... (yeah, people with bipolar name their pets strange things) my brother named her, and she is technically still his (we live together) so the reason i havent tried to intervene earlier is because he was abit possessive of her.

MY little snakey is called Stimmy... (original i know) as he is a Stimson, hes beautiful and small and does not bite me : )

i didnt say your a boy, just said take it like a man lol

he did say it was snappy for his brother so it wont be the change of scenery, its only small its bites wont hurt just take it like a man and it should settle but as chris said it might just end up being a look dont touch snake

I think you DID call her a boy.

my diamond x yearling use to bite everything, but we use a coat hanger to get her out of her cage and let her crawl onto our hands at her own pace, sometimes takes an hour or so, but now she is getting better and only takes about a min or so, and doesnt bite since i started her on adult mice.

so far i have:

- put a rag with my sweat on it in the tank for about a week or two (which is weird but whatever)

- wear leather gloves to start with

- pick her up with tweezers

- just get bitten and take it like a man....

what about the feeding, i have been feeding her one furry baby rat once a week, i thought i read on here the other day something about feeding more than one rat in a feeding, as in - when shes eaten the first one, offer her another

thought?

two at the same time, of a couple of days apart?

Generally animals can sense fear, so they react to that fear... some animals can just be moody.
Please, give me a break, this is a reptile not a dog!
I don't ever post, I just like to read what fellow herps are up to, BUT i can see you are after some sensible advice to a common enough problem.
Your snake feels threatened, (it cannot sense your fear) and as a result tries to defend itself the only way it knows how.
It can be calmed down though persistance, taking a few bites, showing the snake that it's efforts to intimidate you (through it's bites) are to no avail and reinforcing to it, that you are not a threat. A snake of that size 40cm (approx 4-6 months old depending on how it has been fed), does not have that big a set of teeth, you'll be right a pin prick and drop of blood at most.
A tip don't pull back when it does bite you, for 2 reasons, 1: you can injure the snakes immature teeth and 2 as described above.
There has been some helpful advice ie using a hook to remove the snake, this then gets the snake used to the routine of being removed by hook and therefore handling time. Another method is to place your hand in the vivarium with a "high 5" gesture, the snake will strike but will hit the tough palm of your hand and "usually" not able to get a hold, after it has done that a few times it will settle down and flick it's tongue to smell you. After awhile of this, slide your hand under it's head moving down to it's belly, it may move onto your hand or may need a gentle coax by touching it's tail with your other hand. When it is on your hand always support it's body and let it slide through your hand, but never constrict it as it will feel threatened again and bite. Let it settle down and just hold it, increase the time frame each day, from a couple of minutes at first, soon (hopefully) it will associate you as non-threatening form and you will be able to pick it up with ease. I have broken the snappiest of jungles by using these methods, although all animals are different, but you should be right with persistence and repitition.
Feeding, personally I would recommend once a week with the appropriate size rat/mouse. Don't handle your snake before 24hrs after feeding, I leave mine for 2 days at that age. If you feed it as much as has been suggested, twice a week, 2 rats or whatever, you will never be able to hold it, it takes a couple of days for a snake to digest it's food, more if it's abig feed, all it wants is to bask and get it's metabolism working, you picking it up after a feed, while it wants to digest, only stresses it out which is totally defeating the purpose as to why you started this thread, "MY SNAKE BITES".
Hope this is helpful.
Regards
Scott.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back