Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

luke_cairns_QLD

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey all, i've been thinking about adding another beauty to my collection and wanted your opinion on a placid/easy handling species that is going to grow to a decent size?

Rough Scaled Python. Out of everything in my collection, these are the most interesting, placid, good handling pythons. There eyes are amazing, there night time colour change is amazing, there rough scales are the strangest thing I've ever felt, the hatchlings open mouth threat display is pretty cool to watch, the juveniles defense of coiling up into a tiny ball is one of the coolest things I've seen and luckily they are good natured, because there teeth are monsters!!

You could look into jag's? They can be pricey, but worth it. Their not something I love, but you may and I know many others do. Talk to S&M Morelia, I believe he has some beautiful animals, and he may have some for sale. Green tree pythons are coming down in price, and this season, they could be quite affordable. If you go down that road, make sure you study on them, a lot, as they can be a handful.

Diamonds.... ours is the best snake ever with personality to match her size ;) (Green tree - awsome but dont grow too big)

Good luck at let us know what u decided on.

I would have to agree about the RSP so far, only had my little one a couple of weeks but he is the sweetest, most placid critter. I also love the Womas, they have the quirkiest attitudes, well the ones we have do.

If you're after something BIG, our little Olive is a sook too but I have heard some horror stories if you happen to get a feisty one, mix attitude with their size, it could be scary.

But as everyone will say, choose what you like the look of & then find a good breeder with fantastic snakes.

Get what you want. It doesn't really matter what anybody else says. You're the one who has to like it, and just because one person has a placid, or fiesty one doesn't mean they all are. If you get a baby, it will grow with you. You will learn its personality and you will learn how to respect it. I could tell you my diamonds and intergrades are the best for temperament, but someone else could come along and say no they aren't because they have a nasty one. So you decide what you want, and grow with your snake from there.

I chose my collection purely on looks. I wanted bright yellow jungles, bright red bredli's, black diamonds with white spots, and perfect darwins. They mostly all handle well. My jungles are a bit bitey but I can usually pick up what it is that sets them off so try to avoid those motions as much as possible. Getting them out is a bit of a drama but once I have them in my hands or where ever, I let them settle, and don't move too quick, they quiten down and all is well.

Thanks all I have looked at most of those breeds already and was considering a GTP but I think that'll be later on and Kathy ya I can see where you are Comming from, im just after Peoples experience and what they like in that species( as well as just learning/talking more about beautiful snake :)), it is my decision and I won't get something I don't, my jungle is the same he can be quite jumpy at first but sometimes I open the cage and if he wants to come out he'll poke his head out of the cage and onto my hand, and what olives? I've always loved the plain look and size of them.

Olives or water pythons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hells yer :d

Diamonds.... ours is the best snake ever with personality to match her size ;)

Keeping Diamonds in Cairns is like keeping GTPs in Melbourne (without heating). Not a very good advice gosia, have you ever been to Cairns in the height of the summer?

Keeping Diamonds in Cairns is like keeping GTPs in Melbourne (without heating). Not a very good advice gosia, have you ever been to Cairns in the height of the summer?

I have. OMG how can you live there. Craved salty chips, changed my clothes several times a day but one thing though, I won't ever forget the snorkelling I did at Michaelmas Reef, and the Crystal Cascades. Jump in like its bath water while the locals stood at the side shivering from it being too cold. Cold? Ha! Come down our way and jump in the water. Then you'd know what cold is - they'd suffer hyperthermia in no time....lol

Keeping Diamonds in Cairns is lik
e keeping GTPs in Melbourne (without heating). Not a very good advice gosia, have you ever been to Cairns in the height of the summer?

My appoligies - didn't see he was from Cairnes.....but surely if I can keep a GTP in Melbourne (with heating) a diamond can be kept in Cairns.....with air conditioning?.....
:lol: :rolleyes: (joke haha)

Thank you for your correction Michael.

Hey! What about a BHP?! They're supposed to be very placid snakes (I saw a vid earlier where a guy goes out and just grabs a wild one to show how they live in the wild and it was just like, "Excuse me... Uh... Excuse me, could you put me down please? No? *sigh* Fine..."
Also, every zoo I've been to in Australia has had an interactive photo thing with a snake and it's always been a black head (gotta be a reason for that, especially considering their size vs size of 5yo kids having pics taken)
They're much larger than roughies (though I reckon that'll be what I get after I get my black head) and have a much stockier build. They're entirely distinctive, and I reckon one of the most beautiful snakes in Oz.
Also they can be found naturally in FNQ so you won't have the same issues you would with a diamond :lol:

Last edited:
Hey! What about a BHP?! They're supposed to be very placid snakes (I saw a vid earlier where a guy goes out and just grabs a wild one to show how they live in the wild and it was just like, "Excuse me... Uh... Excuse me, could you put me down please? No? *sigh* Fine..."
Also, every zoo I've been to in Australia has had an interactive photo thing with a snake and it's always been a black head (gotta be a reason for that, especially considering their size vs size of 5yo kids having pics taken)
They're much larger than roughies (though I reckon that'll be what I get after I get my black head) and have a much stockier build. They're entirely distinctive, and I reckon one of the most beautiful snakes in Oz.
Also they can be found naturally in FNQ so you won't have the same issues you would with a diamond :lol:

I used to have BHP's, they are pretty friendly, but I did have one that was extremely agro (they tend to headbut rather then bite). I got rid of all my BHP's because of the space they needed, the price of the big food items and cleaning the MASSIVE craps they leave in every inch of there enclosure.

Isn't that all associated with having a large snake though? OP asked for a snake that grew large, and the BHPs have that :)

Isn't that all associated with having a large snake though? OP asked for a snake that grew large, and the BHPs have that :)

This is true. I wasn't saying don't get one, they where good snakes, I was simply saying I used to have them and that's the reason's why I don't have them anymore.

I can understand that. I only saw how much jumbo rats cost AFTER I put a down payment... down. I'm lucky that we have a local exporter here and they have mice and rats for MUCH less than the pet stores.
Just curious, how often did you feed your black heads?

I had a BHP who should have been blonde. I swear that snake had no brain it her head, specially at feed time, it was like she was blind with frenzy and would latch on to anything and try to eat it. She tried to eat her plastic plant, a pillow case, my arm, and there were plenty more misses. But if I dropped the food she would go bolistic, mouth open, but could not find it. I use to dive in to grab the food and then try to catch her mouth to shove it in. I am sure she would have found it eventually if I'd just left her to settle down, but I was still very newbie back then. I know better these days, than to stick my hands into the tank of a large snake in feed mode.... lol

I'm gonna get myself another BHP one day, when I can get my husband to build another enclosure or two for me .. hehe

I can understand that. I only saw how much jumbo rats cost AFTER I put a down payment... down. I'm lucky that we have a local exporter here and they have mice and rats for MUCH less than the pet stores.
Just curious, how often did you feed your black heads?

I fed mine once a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back