Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newguy1984

Reaction score
hi my name is luke i live in rockhampton,qld .
i am looking to get my first snake and would like to know
what the best type of snake is for a beginner.
i would be keeping it in the shade under my house well downstairs what snake
would be best to get. and what type of enclosure for it

id have to say go for a bredli, the get a good size, great feeders and great in temperment . and for an enclosure you can just build one out of plywood it would be cheaper.

probably start with an anterasia such as a spotted python as they come in nice colours (blonde) and usually become amendable to handling and the biggest enclosures are not needed. maybe a stimsons and if u want something bigger, go a jungle. most people say jungles are fiesty, etc. but dont listen, if u find good lines, u will get a very placid, beautiful looking jungle

I agree, bredli's are great snakes. Had mine now for a few months, he's about a year old now and he is brilliant- beautiful markings and has a great temperament. If you get a young one, a small enclosure to start off with, then when bigger, as they grow around 7ft, you'll need an enclosure at least 4ft x 2ft.

people say antrestia are good starters but from my experience and my mate there are snappy little buggers. and as far as i no the better looking jungle the more aggressive. but that is bs. i recon go for almost any morelia. or woma.

thanks guys for all your wisdom.
i have been looking at the woma and have to say they look realy nice does anyone know where i can get 1 in rockhampton,qld

Look in the For Sale forum. There is plenty of stuff on offer especially Womas from what I've seen

A adult scrub python,i quarantee you will learn quicker then others...If you dont better stock up on bandages..lol..(Seriuosly) depending on what size you want,if u only want a small snake,then any Anteresia,Spotted-Stimsons or Childreni..But if ur after a bigger snake,any of the carpet sub-species can be good,Darwin,Coastal,Diamond,MD,or if you want one with attidute,then defiantly a Woma or BHP...

id have to say go for a bredli, the get a good size, great feeders and great in temperment . and for an enclosure you can just build one out of plywood it would be cheaper.
Plywood is glued together with a glue containing formaldehyde. this glue can do whats called out gas for 20 odd years and is dangerous to humans which can cause irritation to your skin and eyes. I am unaware if this when sealed properly is dangerous to snakes though.

---------- Post added 19-Jan-11 at 03:20 PM ----------

Anyone know the effects on snakes of this?

Just a quick question how big is the smallest BHP and what locality good first snake or not and the average price this would be good thanks

okay i have decided to go with a woma love there style. anyone know anyone local to rockhampton that breeds them

Check the Marketplace section and do a search on Woma. Then do an advanced search and locate all in QLD.
Hope you find one!
I know someone in VIC, but that doesn't help you much.

Hi,i am about to get my first snake also,it is a woma hatchling and is coming from cairns this weekend via air freight.The breeder has one more ready to go and three close.He or she cost me $360 including freight.They are advertising on this site under various pythons,look for QLD,MrMertens.good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back