Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's an intergrade area i doubt that either would be true stimsons or macs.I 've seen these guys also and yes they are tiny.

Thats a very good example of of these stimpsons Obee, top looking snake....i do however believe these Stimpsons to be quite unique, being very small specimens, very odd... what would be the largest you've seen? ....
Bredli, i havent seen orientalis here, but it is a possibility, i'll have to familiarize myself with this morph, to make a valid comparsion....

When traveling between Katherine and Darwin I see heaps of snakes on the road. Most are there chasing the Cane Toads. I see more dead than alive. Most look like they have just eaten, but I can say I have not seen anything that small.

Damn them Toads, wonder how many of dead snakes that your've seen actually have eaten, toads....or are they just road victims?

I agree Tremain they are unique and need to be looked at further.The biggest animal I have seen would be lucky to reach the size of small adult mac.They also pruduce small clutches it seems of the clutches I know of 3,4,5 eggs per clutch.
As I said browns there could be intergrades there but I have only ever seen stimy's[less than I see macs] and macs.The macs are generally light phased and classically maculosus.At the Mcleod river I found a mac in a half buried hollow log, partly coiled around a clutch from what I could see,without disturbing her she had 11 maybe more eggs.Pretty standard for macs but far more than the animals we are talking about.
Trying to pic a stimy and a childrens around Normanton,now that is real test.They are very similar and the intergrades depending on the way you hold them could be either.LOL.
Tremain have you ever come accross olives around Chilligoe or sth west of?
obee

No i havent seen olives around Chilligoe, but have heard stories, unconfirmed however.... I have also been told that others have seen them west of Surprise, towards Georgetown?...From the few specimens of childrens i've seen towards Normantion, i agree there is going to be debate in the future inregards what they are...i've seen snakes that could be easily identified, some however display characteristics that could be either or???, i can say the same for other areas up here....

Tremain I have a photo of an olive crossing the road just past the walsh.

An olive has been caught a Mt surprise and is now in a large jar in there in the old museum. Another was seen at the topaz field 15km east ? of surprise and another was seen not far from the lynd turn off.

Ihave seen stimsoni that have come from charters towers, although i have only seen macs there, also read that mertins come over to charters towers.Heres a pic of a stimsoni from the great basalt wall not far from charters.

:) Pike,that stim looks typical orientalis,nothing like obees,indicus or george town specimens in colouration and one of the main diffs between s stimsoni and s prientalis is pattern.Scalation is not reliable for sub species as there are extremes.The childreni found near normanton a quite small and have typical childreni pattern with a dull olive green background,they bear no resemblance to to the indi or obee stims or the george town type stims which are definately not s stim or s orientalis.The small size,diff head morphology and behavioural characteristics clearly defines them from maculosus.The little banded antaresias look good anyway and bear squat resembance to other stims ive seen.Its diff is comparable to childreni v perthensis. :p

How sad. Thanks for showing us the pics though. That first one was a very pretty snake. Keep a look out for more.

I have a male normanton childreni. He is about 2.5yrs old and about 1.1 mtrs long. I will get some pics of him tomorrow in the sun.

The normanton childreni i saw was about 1970 wildcaught,probably largest was about 30 inches.1.1 metres is big bredli and if fed up in captivity they must reach a good size and equivilant to most other childreni.Some pops probably find few mice in the wild. :D

Yeah know its not the same snake oldfella, someone was asking how far east orientalis come before.

Pike 1 My family is from Charters Towers and that is the first basalt stimy I have seen.LOL Thanks.
Olives at suprise pilbarapyhtons,well there you go.I have family on stations at forsyth,einsliegh area.I've spent a lot of my life in that sandstone gorge country and always wondered why they weren't there.They were all the time the buggers,cool.

I personally have not found a live one there yet and they would have to be few and far between. But that is likely to be the case when an animal is getting to the edge of their range. I have found on the New Castle Ranges George town one lizard (Tympanocryptis cephalus)one snake (Denisonia devisi) and a cockroach that were previously not known to occur there. The furtherest east that the cockroach had ever been found was Mt Isa. I personally believe the western side of the cape york will prove to be a wealth of new lizard species in the coming years and I know of one elapid there that needs to be looked at.

obee, have you seen stimsons at charters, the museum has records there but i have never seen them there

Pike, i've seen a splitting image to the photographed stimsons,..... opposite white rock N.P?, just west of charters....
I agree Oldfella, various 'distinct' colour and size variants,....between them all.

I remember that that lizard Dave,... shame that roach wasnt a new species?, would have been great!!!,.....you may have had it named after you? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back