Olive Or Water Python?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrek

Reaction score
If anyone could let me know what is the easiest way to tell the difference between juvenile Olive and Water Pythons. What is this? Not accepting answers of hairy arm.

Just from that pic I would say it's an Olive. Water Pythons have a yellow belly whereas Olives are cream.That's the easiest way to tell them apart.

that was what i was told 2 :)

nice hairy arm ;)

another new person welcome to the site shrek... if that is you in your avatar then my what big teeth you have :).

Looks like an olive to me nice little slender head cream underbelly (and a nice rug to lay on :) )

That snake is an olive. Belly colouration is not a reliable way to tell them apart, especially as hatchlings. Many juvenile water pythons have cream or white bellies. The underside of the tail is distinct in colour from the belly in water pythons, unlike olives. The fine scalation of olives is also distinct compared to the large scales in waters.

RE: Re: RE: Olive Or Water Python?

Thanks to all. It's a new addition from the snakesnt sale. Inexperience, paranoia and a few fuzzy photos had me a little worried. She is a little emaciated and not feeding yet but it's early times. If anyone has any tips for tempting fussy eaters I would love to hear them.

If anyone could let me know what is the easiest way to tell the difference between juvenile Olive and Water Pythons

Waters pythons have the same colour on the underside of their tail as on the top.
Olives have a darker shade of their belly colour on the underside of their tails.

If anyone has any tips for tempting fussy eaters I would love to hear them.

Get a day old chicken. Cut some of the skin off with the fluff still attatched. Stick it in the mouth of a fuzzy mouse / pinkie rat or suitable size food item for this snake. make sure th rodent is warm and the fluff is dry.

How long have you had it? It often takes a snake around a month to start eating again after a big move. You'll get nervous but its all part of the game.
Any more photos, the animal looks thin but not emancipated to me.

Thanks to all. It's a new addition from the snakesnt sale. Inexperience, paranoia and a few fuzzy photos had me a little worried. She is a little emaciated and not feeding yet
By the sounds of things snakes nt's haven't improved much since my last dealings with them a few years ago. Let's hope the new owners look after their animals and customers a little better than the previous ones.

Shrek,
as for feeding fussy olives zebra finches are definately the way to go. Most pet shops carry them and once it's had a few feeds on finches you can start weaning them over to mice by scenting fuzzy rats with finch feathers.

i had the same problem when i got my olive ealier this year. after 4 weeks i tried him on a zebra finch, it worked. However, the process of weening him off birds is not working. currently i am having to tie medium rats to 1 or 2 week old chicks to get him to eat the rat. I would suggest trying magpies method and not using a bird alone.

joelypat, that's exactly the way I got my olive started (thanks Slatey!). Started with a whole finch and reduced down to a wing tied to the mouse. Less and less of the bird and eventually he ate just mice.

I tempted my water python with dat old quail.Supposed to get the most fussy snakes to eat. Worked for me but remove the beak.

We have two zebra finches that have kept us company for many years now after having been rejected as hatchling Olive python food. This is the same Olive python draped over my shoulder in the rougues gallery. Alas this python did develop a taste for bird a year or so later when he escaped is cage and ate our beloved budgie :-( It is the first and last bird he has eaten!!!!

Give me an Olive over a Water every day. They are wonderful snakes, in my experience very active and always happy to see you.

Give me an Olive over a Water every day. They are wonderful snakes, in my experience very active and always happy to see you.

Olives are great, but I'd prefer an east coast water without a doubt :)
A week or two before my water python laid her eggs I opened up the cage to change the water and she came straight out, slithered up my arm, around my neck, down my other arm and straight back under the spotlight :) I never handle gravid snakes for fear of disturbing them, it was sort of like she was saying she missed me. Okay okay, yes, I know, I'm pathetic :oops: :roll: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back