Olive Or Water Python?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
africancichlidau said:
Just remember that a python is mostly muscle controlled by a very small brian and you will do fine
But what does brian think about that? he might not like being called "very small brian" :)

LOL - I corrected my original post. Brian hates being called Brain and it is a common typo and one I have done myself... but usually correct before hitting the send button. It is the first time I can remember typing Brian meaning Brain.

Menagerie, Ive never heard a case of an aussie python killing anyone by constriction.

There have been several reports of it happening, although at least some are no doubt garbage brought about by the huge amount of misinformation which plagues anything to do with reptiles. One which I am at least somewhat inclined to believe was of a guy (adult) in Melbourne being killed by his pet carpet python in 1997. This one was reported by several newspapers and I heard a fair few reptile people talk about it at the time. I'm quite sure that a three metre carpet, olive, water etc could kill someone if it tried and caught the handler off guard and alone, especially if the person was inexperienced and/or intoxicated, which isn't terribly unlikely since inexperienced keepers often handle their large snakes to show off or impress themselves.

Lol handcuffs Slatey! I know what you mean, my little darwin does it, i restrict her to one hand/arm, i have had blue fingers before today! and she seems to curl her tail in such a way that you cant uncoil her. Lol Ive spent 40 minutes sitting their having my fingers "killed", eventually i sprayed her water from the frog mister when my whole hand went numb. :lol:

lol at Brian...

So just out of curiosity, does this mean that when the snake reaches 2.5m that I shouldn't handle it by myself? And how often would you handle a snake that big? Once a day?

As Slatey said earlier, by the time its that big you will be quiet familiar and confident with it. Its easy enough to just hold the snake, or rather support with both hands, it will "hold" you, wrapping its lower body around your waist or your arm, while its bitey end roams about inquisitivly. Gentle support with your free hand below is all thats required. Might be good to watch a few people handle theres to get an idea. Dont fret, you'll love it! :D

Thanks Inny & Fuscus... I really appreciate your help! As I said, no python until around Feb/March, but I want to know all that I can before hand.

What is the reason for not handling after feed? Does it mess with the snakes digestion? Or are they more snappy?

More that will be become stressed if you handle straight after a feed (although every snake is diff and some folks will say theres are fine with it), Snake can regurtitate its meal due to stress, and this is NOT GOOD! If you've eaten a little too much (xmas day perhaps :D) you'll know how tender the tum can be. I imagine snakes feel much the same, despite the fact they are designed for big meals. Not only that, its excited by food, so not a good time to play! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back