Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

olivepythonluv

Reaction score
Hi everyone at Aussie Pythons, I'm interested in getting an Olive python in the near future. I've always been curious, ever since hearing about these formidable snakes fearsome bites. Just wanted to know how badly will an angry olives bite feel like? What is the closest pain that comes feeling like how these snakes bite? Thank you heaps.

First off, welcome and now... I think if you're that worried about a little bite you should be thinking about whether a python is the right 'pet' for you.

I'd advise you keep one from a juvenile so that you can get to know the snake and it's behaviour as opposed to buying a large one and getting hit by a a strike from that.

thats probably the best description of a bite moose. if its a big one or a feeding response maybe jam your arm in a vice and try a nail gun lol.

thats probably the best description of a bite moose. if its a big one or a feeding response maybe jam your arm in a vice and try a nail gun lol.

that's a bit exaggerated haha *picks up nail gun*

I think if you're that worried about a little bite you should be thinking about whether a python is the right 'pet' for you.

I think if you think that an adult olive python will deliver a 'little' bite you shouldnt comment on this thread.

Did you really think an olive python is going to bite harder than a large carpet python? I don't think it matters if its a little python or a big one. If it is latched onto you, its gonna hurt. Only difference between the olive and a little python is the size. The olives are strong and I would recommend that from about 8 or 9foot upwards, you have someone with you, when you plan to handle them.

Olives have spirit and can have attitude, but so can any snake. Lady has given great advice. If you're worried about being bitten then perhaps you should reconsider whether you really want a snake at all, especially a large species such as the olives.

I think if you think that an adult olive python will deliver a 'little' bite you shouldnt comment on this thread.

I after that OP should get a juvie, that will result in a little bite... by the time the juvie's grown OP probably won't get bitten as he knows the snake and how to handle it, I offered advice.

Not everyone considers their python as a pet.

and heck, i never want to get bitten by my crocodile, or my lacie, and I am worried about the day it might happen, it does not mean I have re-thought keeping them.

Any large carpet will deliver the same bite just depends if its a warning bite "go away leave me alone" or you have roden scent on your hand and thinks your food thats the worst should always buy at least a juvinile that way snake will get to know you and you will know your snakes habits you learn to know when its about to strike just be quick they can move almost as fast as lightning

I have been bit by my larger olives once or twice ( They are over 9 foot) and it was nothing compared to a scrubby half the size.....

Best bet is try not to get bitten!

Not everyone considers their python as a pet.

and heck, i never want to get bitten by my crocodile, or my lacie, and I am worried about the day it might happen, it does not mean I have re-thought keeping them.

This is true but its how you treat the animals that can decide its ok for you but not for someone else. If you're happy to have such animals and have the respect that they aren't toys to be played with, then well done, you have a beautiful collection. Its ppl that buy such animals and think they can handle them and treat them like they're cuddly puppies that need to re-consider whether this is the right animal for them. Handling the snake regularly is fine, so long as olivepythonluv can learn to respect these creatures for what they are, what they can do, and enjoy their beauty.

This is true but its how you treat the animals that can decide its ok for you but not for someone else. If you're happy to have such animals and have the respect that they aren't toys to be played with, then well done, you have a beautiful collection. Its ppl that buy such animals and think they can handle them and treat them like they're cuddly puppies that need to re-consider whether this is the right animal for them. Handling the snake regularly is fine, so long as olivepythonluv can learn to respect these creatures for what they are, what they can do, and enjoy their beauty.
My thoughts 100%......solar 17 [Baden]

It hurts but it's only when they latch on you have to be worried

I have three of them and been bitten on the back of the head by a large female and it still didn't hurt

I think this is a genuine question that everybody considers before they purchase a snake.

If I were you, look at getting a smaller python.

First off, welcome and now... I think if you're that worried about a little bite you should be thinking about whether a python is the right 'pet' for you.

I'd advise you keep one from a juvenile so that you can get to know the snake and it's behaviour as opposed to buying a large one and getting hit by a a strike from that.

A bit from a full grown olive will not be a "little" bite ...

I have a few Olives, and I would say they are not the best choice as a 1st snake.
Not that any of mine are aggressive, its just the opposite they are a very curious well natured snake that enjoys a wonder and explore.
In saying that, Olives are a very big snake that commands respect. It dosnt matter how placid any snake is, any snake can have a bad day and bite without warning.
If you want to get into keeping pythons expect to cop a bite from any python species, its part of the joy.

This is a bite I got off one of my small Olives, its not as impressive as the bite on Nicks head but this girl was only 3.5 foot at the time. She was just having a bad day and tagged without warning.

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 132
  • scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 116
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back